wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum

Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum This is the corner of the site where you can talk about daggers, bayonets, swords and knifes of the Wehrmacht and related organizations.

Hj knife
Old 09-01-2002, 09:38 PM   #1
Brian M

Default Hj knife

As stated in an earlier post, my uncle's father was in the 94th infantry 301st "k" co and was taken prisoner for a short time in late '44 after taking part in a prisoner exchange, he was in the bulge. he brought back an excellent rzm 7/9/1941 Sa dagger with hanger, blued takedown gravity knife, minty unmarked LW boot knife, and a late war HJ knife. he showed me the latter two tonight and I took some photos. the HJ knife is M7/13 Arthur Schüttelhofer & Co., Solingen-Wald. how rare is this if at all? and the knife is stone mint, absolutely not a mark on blade or scabbard, and the frog is stone mint. it still has the original RZM tag on the frog. I am sure this greatly increases value. I have seen VG condition HJ knives with cracked grips, worn finish, sharpened or pitted blades for sale for $150-250. I tentatively would say that a piece like his, stone mint (I have photos to post later) with intact RZM tag would have to be in the $700 vicinity, I just would like some other opinions as to value.
Bri

Last edited by Brian M; 09-02-2002 at 07:15 PM.

Old 09-01-2002, 10:17 PM   #2
Ken Jasper
Lifetime Member

I have seen some mint HJ knives on sale with the big name dealers for $525. I don't think many collectors would pay an additional $175 for a RZM tag.
OMSA #6582

At my age, "getting lucky" is finding my car in the parking lot.

Old 09-02-2002, 09:12 AM   #3
BRET VAN SANT

Location: 1st star to the right, then straight on till morning

I PAID 400+ FOR A STONE MINT SMF MAKER MARK ONLY + MOTTO. I THOUGHT THAT TO BE A HELL OF A DEAL! I HAVE SEEN TAGGED ITEMS GO UP ON A REGULAR BASIS. BUY FROG DO YOU MEAN THE LEATHER STRAP ON THE SCABBARD? IF THE TAG IS IN GOOD SHAPE NO TAPE OR NOT TORN THE 700$ IS WELL WITHIN THE PARK (IN MY OPINION) THERE ARE ALOT OF HARDCORE H/J COLLECTORS ABOUT. IT WILL BE NICE TO SEE THIS COLLECTION. NOT OFTEN THESE DAYS DO YOU SEE A VET GROUP ( BRING HOME) STILL INTACT.

photos to follow:
Old 09-02-2002, 04:59 PM   #4
Brian M

Default photos to follow:

Old 09-02-2002, 05:02 PM   #5
Brian M

was only able to photo the hj knife and trench knife as my camera ran out of disk space. he did not bring the Gravity over last night, and the Sa dagger he brought, but I had no more memory to photo it.
Bri

another
Old 09-02-2002, 05:04 PM   #6
Brian M

Default another

Old 09-02-2002, 05:05 PM   #7
Brian M

sorry for the large file sizes!

Last edited by Brian M; 09-02-2002 at 05:11 PM.

Old 09-02-2002, 05:06 PM   #8
Brian M

Old 09-02-2002, 05:08 PM   #9
Brian M

Old 09-02-2002, 07:13 PM   #10
Brian M

unfortunately, he cannot recall when or where he got any of the knives. he did say he remembers buying the Hitler Jugend knife for .25 cents while he was over there. I wish I had a time machine and a couple of rolls of quarters!
here is a link to the story of how his unit was captured in 1944, click on the heading "the patrol":
Captured

Old 09-02-2002, 09:45 PM   #11
Skipper Greenwade
Lifetime Member

Hi Brian,

I have a Schuttelhoffer HJ knife with the RZM tag on the belt loop in my personal collection. If memory serves me correctly, I paid $700.00 for it several years ago and was glad to get it. The tagged items often go for about double the price of a similar piece in excellent+ condition without the tag. I'm speaking of course of the paper RZM tags which show no signs of being tampered with.

The metal or paper quality control tags (usually affixed to the piece by means of a string or cord) will certainly add value to a mint-conditioned dagger or sword, but normally only increase the price by about the same value as the loose tag. That said, some of the loose tags are now bringing in excess of $500.00 - especially everyone's perennial favorite, the metal Eickhorn tag with the paper insert still in place. Nothing dresses up a really minty dagger like a quality control tag and many collectors are more than willing to pay the price! The paper tags, like WKC, can still be found for around $100.00 - $125.00, but they are going fast.

Nice HJ knife, by the way!

Best,
Skip

Old 03-03-2003, 01:39 PM   #12
PaulKaizer

My Schuttelhoffer:

Not in mint conditoin though, off course i also have the scabbard

Greetz Paul