wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Uniforms and Headgear

Imperial Uniforms and Headgear Imperial German Pickelhaubes and Uniforms.

train troops
Old 09-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Steve Sherlock
Association Member

Default train troops

I've seen many references to WWI German "train troops" or "train officer" here. Who were these troops. What did they do with trains? I tried doing a search here but nothing which answers this simple question.

Thanks,
Steve

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Old 09-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
GWA
Association Member

Don't think in terms of locomotives but rather supply or support trains. Wagons and horses or trucks.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
C. Roelens
Association Member

Log trains Steve... beans, bullets, bandaids, etc.

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5373.jpg (115.6 KB, 57 views)

Old 09-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
Steve Sherlock
Association Member

Thanks, GWA and Chuck. I was thinking just locomotives and such.

Steve

Old 09-10-2017, 11:38 PM   #5
C. Roelens
Association Member

Those would be the Railway Troops.

Chuck

Old 09-11-2017, 01:06 AM   #6
Steve Sherlock
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Roelens View Post
Those would be the Railway Troops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Roelens View Post

Chuck
Now, Chuck, you are really messing with my head. Just when I'm getting the vision of locomotives and RR tracks out of my head, you come up with this!! Note to self: "Make appointment with therapist."
Ok, so what do Railway troops do other than ride trains of the locomotive pulled type? Do they have their own insignia?

Actually, why I brought this topic up is because on the Estand there is a beautiful Reserve Train Officer's Spike for sale. I really like the trim on it, and while I've owned (and still do) EM spikes, never an officers. Just didn't know what exactly this belonged to, and you've answered it about Train troops.

Thanks!!
Steve

Old 09-11-2017, 02:17 AM   #7
C. Roelens
Association Member

Sorry Steve, I'm just a grunt... "FOOT TROOPS". If you're looking at Mike's helmet, it's a beauty! Alan, can you help him out please? TKS

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5384.jpg (101.2 KB, 29 views)

Old 09-11-2017, 05:14 AM   #8
ww1czechlegion
Association Member

Quote:
By Member C. Roelens
Sorry Steve, I'm just a grunt... "FOOT TROOPS". If you're looking at Mike's helmet, it's a beauty! Alan, can you help him out please? TKS
It's an interesting helmet, as it has some components of an enlisted private purchase helmet (referring to the unlined underside of the front and back visor).

Normally, a full officer rank helmet will have green lining under the front visor, and red lining under the back visor. I'm guessing the wearer of this helmet may possibly have been a one-year-volunteer enlisted man (and upgraded the purchase of his helmet components to look like this, i.e., like an officer's helmet). Hopefully some others will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong on this.

The chinscales appear to be the proper Model 1915 Officer Chinscales, that attach to the helmet using the M95 side posts as would be correct on a wartime officer helmet. And they are curved shaped, which is correct for Train Bn use (mounted troops used curved chinscales, of which Train Bn are considered mounted.)

The Wurttemburg Train Batallion helmets used all brass color fittings on them, so this helmet is correct in that aspect as well.

Hopefully some others will chime in like James, or Joe R., or Tony of Kaiser's Bunker to help out with your decision on this helmet.

Here's a link to a thread showing two nice Wurttemburg Line Infantry Officer helmets for comparison, one of them being my example.: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=921063
The difference in a Train Bn helmet would be the curved chinscales it would use.

Best Regards,

Alan

Last edited by ww1czechlegion; 09-11-2017 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Added link to another thread for study of other Wurttemburg Helmets