wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Uniforms and Headgear

Imperial Uniforms and Headgear Imperial German Pickelhaubes and Uniforms.

Bavarian m15 IR 23
Old 09-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
pickelhaube100

Default Bavarian m15 IR 23

Here is one of my latests acquisition to my collection. The seller found it during an houseclearing near Vimy ridge. The helmet started life as a model 1896 and was later changed into a model 1915.

I know i had to buy it when i saw the Bambus marking on the interior. I've seen Bambus marked felt pickelhaubes before, but this is the only leather pickelhaube i've seen with this marking.

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Old 09-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

Cool

Old 09-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
C. Roelens
Association Member

Looks good. Are there any other markings on the rear visor besides 23rd Infantry Regiment (IR23 1910)? Extra holes behind the front plate? Saxon cockade on a Bavarian helmet?

Chuck

Old 09-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
pickelhaube100

There are no extra holes behind the frontplate and the cockade is Bavarian. The regimental markings on the photo are the only markings on the rear visor.

The seller found the helmet near Vimy ridge where this regiment fought in june/july 1915.

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Old 09-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
C. Roelens
Association Member

Thank you. Must be the poor picture or my monitor... the color looks green. Congrats.

Chuck

Old 09-09-2017, 11:38 PM   #6
Grausig13

I tend to spot Bavarian markings in the dome, so it is neat to see this marked on the skirt. Bavarian Army likes to reverse the placement of number and designation just to be different, hence 23.IR and not IR23. Not always, but often.

Maker mark is pretty cool. Nice find. I'm still waiting for the right Bavarian m15 to come along, though I have been accumulating some Wappen along the way.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:43 AM   #7
pickelhaube100

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Roelens View Post
Thank you. Must be the poor picture or my monitor... the color looks green. Congrats.

Chuck
The blue color isn't bright anymore and there is some dust on it, which makes it look green, but i don't wanne clean any part of the helmet. I just wanne conserve the helmet like it was found. This week i'll try to locate my camera, so i can take better pictures because at the moment i'm just using my Phone for the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grausig13 View Post
maker mark is pretty cool. Nice find. I'm still waiting for the right bavarian m15 to come along, though i have been accumulating some wappen along the way.
I've noticed that alot of Bavarian m15 pickelhaubes lose the paint on the hardware. Even this helmet lost some of the paint on the spike and wappen.

In my opinion it happens alot more with Bavarian pickelhaubes then with Prussian or other m15's. I have a few Bavarian m15 pickelhaubes, i tend to buy them if their paint is still good.

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Last edited by pickelhaube100; 09-10-2017 at 07:59 AM.