wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Uniforms and Headgear

Imperial Uniforms and Headgear Imperial German Pickelhaubes and Uniforms.

Starting a collection: Early War Austrian
Old 04-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
hottoddy

Default Starting a collection: Early War Austrian

Deep breath.

After collecting US material almost exclusively for the past several years I have finally convinced myself that I want to put together a display for another nation. German uniforms and equipment just does not do it for me, but after reading the Ilming book I think I found my solution! I do a lot of public displays, living history, etc and noticed a big lapse in coverage for Austria-Hungary, which is really odd for a primary belligerent in the conflict. Right now I'm trying to focus on 1914/15 not only because I think the kit is interesting, but it is, again, a bit of an overlooked time in the war since most people fixate on the trenches, the western front, etc and not... well... all of the other things going on in Europe let alone the world.

I'm just getting started and plan on getting a few more books, but I figured I might as well start putting out feelers now. I'd really like to finish the Enlisted Ulan setup I have going. I just missed out on a 7th Regiment Ulan marked saber over the weekend which really irked me, but alas! Austrian Infantry kit will follow as I can get it.

The only thing I have no shortage of is long arms. I've slowly picked these up over the years as a curiosity and now I think I have reached a point where I can actually do a killer presentation on Austrian long arms. Getting some other material to enhance that presentation is part of the idea.

(P.S. I think the tachako body is repro according to the forum)

Anyway, any advice is appreciated. Wish me luck!

Old 05-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
ccj

Nice

Old 05-01-2017, 11:19 PM   #3
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

Old 08-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
hottoddy

I took a shot a while back on form that actually fits. This looks much better.

Some of the leather gear is repro, which will have to do until I get proper examples.

I realized after I took this that the belt is in the wrong position. Alas, this is not a cavalry belt so it makes less of a difference.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:16 PM   #5
Grausig13

As long as you steer clear of my field, I fully support it! Looks good, Todd. I have 30 odd years of WWI-Korean war US under my belt, and Imperial is a nice diversion.

Your old pix are not shown--would like to see what else you had posted.
Fritz Bär.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:01 AM   #6
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

Old 08-28-2017, 07:25 AM   #7
hottoddy

Fritz, you may keep your silly Bavarian stuff. I won't be going after it!

The first images are of the same uniform on a torso that is too small, no loss there. Photobucket and imageshack stopped supporting posts to forums for free accounts (which is obnoxious). I had to make an imgur account and upload there to get something to actually show. I love technology.