wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Optics Forum

Optics Forum Rangefinders, binoculars, sniper scopes, cameras and their accessories

Zeiss 8x - odd reticle?
Old 01-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #1
harrison987
Association Member

Default Zeiss 8x - odd reticle?

Hey guys... I have never seen this type of reticle.

Can anyone confirm that this was used during the war?

TIA

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200119_060030.jpg (191.7 KB, 95 views)

https://www.facebook.com/251stummel

Any donations are welcome to help fund the restoration of this very rare vehicle.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
harrison987
Association Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg zeiss1.jpg (72.9 KB, 93 views)

Any donations are welcome to help fund the restoration of this very rare vehicle.

Scope
Old 01-19-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
Steve Flanagan
Lifetime Member

Default Scope

Not 8x on snipers

Old 01-19-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
harrison987
Association Member

Sorry... I don't really understand your comment...

Mike

Scope
Old 01-20-2020, 03:41 AM   #5
Steve Flanagan
Lifetime Member

Default Scope

8x magnification scopes were not used by WWII German snipers. Ive had a few and have around ten scopes for sale currently and have never seen that reticle, so guessing a nice sports/hunting scope

Old 01-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #6
harrison987
Association Member

Okay...

But why does it have the triangle? That was only use on military optics as far as I understood.

Mike

Scope
Old 01-20-2020, 09:02 AM   #7
Steve Flanagan
Lifetime Member

Default Scope

Only scopes ive observed with the triangles are the zf-4 G/K 43 types indicating what enviroment they were tested for. Perhaps yours is more modern military?

Old 01-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
harrison987
Association Member

thanks guys...

Obviously, in no way am I a K98 Sniper expert...but as I understood it, the triangle lubricant marking was only used by the wehrmacht between late 1943 and 1945.

So that would make the scope wartime and military, no? The serial number appears to fall in that time period?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg page.jpg (47.6 KB, 84 views)

Scope
Old 01-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #9
Steve Flanagan
Lifetime Member

Default Scope

Well it says right there non standard, and the double set triggers always spook me. I suggest you ask the moderator Willi Z

Old 01-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #10
Mikedenmark
Association Member

I am not an expert on german scope´s either.

But I did note this: The bottom edge of the letters in "Carl Zeiss" does not have an equal distance to the line below them.
I think they should have.

As said, not an expert here. But there has been a lot of very nice looking scopes for sale recently. Including some that are missing the "Carl Zeiss", but has the outline of the logo, and the JENA.
I remember they have been discussed somewhere. And, as far as I recall, believed to originate somewhere in eastern Europa.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #11
Promo

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison987 View Post
Okay... But why does it have the triangle? That was only use on military optics as far as I understood.
The (blue) triangle symbolized a special treatment the scope underwent; to my knowledge a special lubrication for low temperature. While it can be found on several military issued Zielvier scopes, it isn't an exclusive military marking.

The serial of 42.000 would make this scope a rather early scope, originally produced around 1931-35 somewhere. It therefore would not had found its way on a military sniper rifle since when hunters were requested to donate scopes, the only allowed magnifications were up to 6x. Therefore we can exclude it being a hunters donation. Due to its year of manufacture it is highly unlikely it was "purchased" the military and then used on a military mount as well. As a result to this I highly doubt the triangle marking being factory done and think it was a post war addition to raise its value.

Finally, the reticle shown with this scope is an original reticle one could order from Zeiss and is period correct. It additionally is yet another proof it was not military issued, since even the donated scopes were sent back to the factories for overhaul and would have had the reticle replaced by the Absehen 1, the standard German reticle.

Finally: the pictured rifle with the Zielacht and double set trigger is a fantasy piece.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #12
harrison987
Association Member

Thanks guys!

Mike

Old 01-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #13
harrison987
Association Member

This is what the owner responded with, when I said this was not military:

"I will not agree with you and your thesis because Germans and English in the period after World War I underestimated snipers as soldiers who could outweigh the victory on their side. I have been interested in sniper activity for 25 years and from what I know about the First World War, Germans and Englishmen did not order any rifles for the army. Often German First War rifles, e.g. mauser gewer with scopes, were delivered to the civilian market (sold for a song) or lay as superfluous in warehouses. The only nation that developed sniper ranks among the people were Russians who promoted shooting sport among ordinary people. They often organized shooting competitions. When World War II began the Germans had virtually no rifles or trained snipers. In urgent mode, they began to train snipers and order and buy equipment, rifles and telescopes. Some of the scopes used by German snipers came from the 1930s and were stored in factory warehouses, and earlier these scopes were intended for the civil market, but the immediate order of the army forced entrepreneurs to withdraw the scopes from the civil market from sales and handing them over to the army. In this case, this is exactly what Zeiss did and was handed over to the wermacht. The Zielacht x8 spotting scopes were used by sniper riflemen acting alone or with an observer, and the zielsechs x6 spotting scopes and the Zielvier x4 spotting scopes of course in the wehrmacht, but as I remember correctly in platoons, and that is the difference.

In addition, Zielacht spotting scopes were mainly used for tactical shooting at at long distances, e.g. steppes in Russia and were used in the German army, but they were not as widespread as telescopes with x4 or x6 magnification. In addition, most sharpshooters had the option of choosing a telescope, and often a mounting type. Such a selection of weapons took place already at the sniper school. This course lasted about six or four months. German sniper school was located during the war 200 meters from my place of residence, and I see the shooters where snipers were shooting from my window"

Old 01-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #14
Mikedenmark
Association Member

Regardless of this, if I was offered this scope, I would not buy it.
I may be a fool, but I don´t like it.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #15
harrison987
Association Member

ja...I hear ya...

He is also offering this:

Appears to be original...but not my expertise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jhj.jpg (103.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg jh.jpg (99.0 KB, 63 views)