wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Communications Equipment

Communications Equipment Radio, telephony and radar equipment

Radio Procedures Help Needed.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Evans C.

Default Radio Procedures Help Needed.

I have been working on a project on communication procedures and brevity codes used by the Germans and I am wondering if there are any decent books on the subject? (I have been unable to find any.) I have managed to tease some clues to several items mentioned in passing in other books. One item I am trying to clarify is regarding Q codes. Two in particular I am unable to find any information on and wonder if anyone knows. The first is "QZS". I believe it is both a question and reply code. ie "Does message read clear?" and "Message is clear." The second is the code "XS".

-Evans

Old 06-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Funksammler

QZS: Liegt dort Funkspruch ... vor? (Do you have radio message ...?); to be answered with yes or no.
XS: Luftstoerungen (interference)

regards,

Funksammler

Old 06-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Val

Thanks, Funksammler. Is there a full list of codes available the germans actually used? Modern radio amateurs use q codes all the the time but which codes the german used?

Old 06-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Evans C.

Thanks Funksammler. Are these codes still used by the Poliezi or Bundeswehr do you know?

Old 06-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Funksammler

The full list of codes is contained in the "Funkvorschrift" in this case the "Funkvorschrift der Luftwaffe" L.Dv 421.

Apart from the standard Q-codes which were and still are internationally standardised, it lists specific codes used by the armed forces and civil organisations.

I am not sure if the same specific Wehrmacht codes remained in use after the war.

I am planning to write another volume on German army radio procedures, after I have done my portable radio volume which is already half a year behind schedule......

regards,

Funksammler

Radio procedures
Old 01-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #6
Tom188

Default Radio procedures

Hello Funksammler

I have also few questions about Wehrmacht Funktelegraphie and divisional networks:

1/ As i know 3 character callsigns was used, but is umlaut was always used in Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe callsigns? At least Kriegsmarine used umlaut in callsigns.

2/ Is Q codes used in Kriegsmarine was also used in Wermacht and Luftwaffe, if not which set was used?

3/ How many players was in divisioon - regiment network ? Theoretically it schould be same as regiments, but how it was in practise? What about attached battalions like Pioneers, etc?

4/ Is there was something special in their procedures?

Best Regards
Tom

Old 01-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #7
Funksammler

Not easy to answer, as the answers are found in a multitude of different documents.

1/ Yes, umlauts were included in the callsigns, as were numbers. so s7ö is a possible callsign for example

2/ There is a large overlap between the sets of Q-codes used by Luftwaffe, Wehrmacht, Kriegsmarine and "Behörden" (police etc.) but each service also used a number of specific codes for their service. The Luftwaffe funkvorschrift for example includes tables for the army and "Behörden" special codes (but not for kriegsmarine)

3/ difficult to answer, depends on the type of division and the level of mobility; in general the more mobile a unit is, the more radios it is assigned. There are hundreds of different unit types contained in the KriegsStärkeNachwiesungen (KStN), each detailing the types of radio troops assigned.

4/ not sure what you are interested in here, there are many different manuals covering the general and tactical aspects of the radio communication, you need to consult all these manuals to uncover all the details; this is why training of the Funkers took many months!

regards,

Funksammler

Old 01-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #8
Tom188

Thank you for your answer Funksammler

I writing simulator of radiotelegraphy and Wehrmacht is part of it.
I have Kriegsmarine list but were can I find Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe? There was few lists in internet and generally I have QZ codes but not sure which one was used in which service...

BTW: what is proper meaning of QZY ? I cannot hear your or achtung ?

According to american documents individual callsigns were used in Wehrmacht and linear in Luftwaffe Ground Networks. But this could changed, because at the begining of war procedures were very simple, callsigns were fixed and at the end of war it was very elaborated system with 12 or 24 h changing of callsigns...

Best Regards
Tom

Old 01-20-2020, 04:17 AM   #9
Funksammler

You can find the complete Luftwaffe Funksvorschrift here: https://www.deutscheluftwaffe.com/ar...ELzJ77i52GMWBU

It is a big document so it will take some time to download. Towards the end on the document you will find the Q-code lists.

qzy = Hier nichts gehört

In part 2 of the document you can read the full procedure for assigning frequencies and callsigns (Rufzeichen und Frequenzverteilungen = RFV) for the command networks of the Luftwaffe, as a rule callsigns were changed every day but frequencies were kept for longer periods. At a tactical level, callsigns and frequencies changed daily. Army procedures were very much the same.

At a tactical level it was the duty of the communications officers to create and distribute the RFV's down the organisation. So the Division's Nachtrichtoffizieer would assign blocks of frequencies and callsigns to the regiments, the regimental Nachrichtenoffizier would distribute blocks to the battalions etc.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 01-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #10
Tom188

Thank you very much Funksammler very interesting document, and generally confirms my other sources. Now I trying translate (my german is few words-only, but most is clear to me). When further questions will arouse I will ask.

BTW: It seems they have been using international code QTC to anounce Funkspruch and QZS was just additional code...

Best Regards
Tom