wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Tony Barto SS Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Tony Barto SS Uniforms and Insignia Forum Dedicated to SS cloth collecting and anything else SS related.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #46
Gary B
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdinandmax View Post
Hello
sorry and you think they have not imported the scissors from America to Europe??, I saw the Austrian jackets of the First World War with the cutting of the teeth, but why no one talks about the stitching and other fabric of the hat ??Pinking shears are scissors, the blades of which are sawtoothed instead of straight. They leave a zigzag pattern instead of a straight edge.

The pinking shears design was made by Sameul Briskman in 1931.[1]

Pinking shears have a utilitarian function for cutting woven cloth. Cloth edges that are unfinished will easily fray, the weave becoming undone and threads pulling out easily. The sawtooth pattern does not prevent the fraying but limits the length of the frayed thread and thus minimizes damage.[2]

These scissors can also be used for decorative cuts and a number of patterns (arches, sawtooth of different aspect ratios, or asymmetric teeth) are available. True dressmaker's pinking shears, however, should not be used for paper decoration because paper dulls the cutting edge.
I am only repeating what was said earlier since you seemed to have missed the posting about the scissors.

Gary B
ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Old 02-14-2018, 02:15 AM   #47
ferdinandmax
Association Member

Pinking Shear Patents assigned to Briskman
Made by J Wiss with his Pinking Shears Corporation
Samuel Briskman, of Brooklyn [Born: 24 Dec 1896, Died: 11 Feb 1967], invented pinking shears in 1931 and received his first three patents for them in 1934. He formed the American Pinking Shears Corporation and opened a small plant at 158-160 Greene St, and then in a 5-story factory at 102 Prince Street in Manhattan, New York. [The Prince Street storefront is now a Tumi Luggage Store in the fashionable Soho neighborhood. The floors upstairs are expensive condominiums.] At some point the company name was changed to Pinking Shears Corp.

His firm milled the teeth into the blades. Wiss made the actual shears and had the exclusive sales in the USA and through their agents abroad. Briskman was also entitled to sell abroad under the name of Pinking Shears Corp. through his agents. Based on the number of pinking shears instruction folders printed in the 1950s, they were the boom years for pinking shears sales.

He had one son, Arthur (Artie) Briskman, who worked with him. We have no idea what happened to them, but sales fell off after a change in the type of fabric that was popular (synthetics don't need to be pinked). And then serge stitching became common on sewing machines. Norman F. Wiss, Sr. [Born: , Died: 15 Sept 1954] was the one who pushed for and who managed the agreement with Briskman.

Samuel Briskman died in 1967. His Feburary 16, 1967 obituary in The New York Times tells the story of his tinkering with two serrated knives and coming up with the basic patent. I have obtained a bunch of excellent pictures of Samuel Briskman and other people, many referred to in his obituary.

Briskman Patents (24 total):

Initial Patents (3 issued in 1934)
Enhancements to the core patents (8 issued 1942 to 1965)
Covering the equipment to cut the teeth (10 issued 1934 to 1967)
Electric Pinking Shears: Briskman may never have manufactured these (3 issued 1968 to 1971)
Also see patents assigned to J. Wiss & Sons: J Wiss Patents. The thumbnails link to PDF files of the patents.
http://jwissandsons.com/patents/pinking-shears.htm

Last edited by ferdinandmax; 02-14-2018 at 02:24 AM.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:34 AM   #48
ferdinandmax
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
I am only repeating what was said earlier since you seemed to have missed the posting about the scissors.

Gary B
many thanks regards sergio

Old 02-14-2018, 04:09 AM   #49
AntiqueWW2
Association Member

It is not important if the scissors where used or not. The Visor is simple complete off. The hole Top Part is wrong. A company like Erel would never put out a Cap like this, with the Piping total off. The Tailors who made them where double checking everything, that was good old German Quality. I had a lot lot of Visors in my Hand, not one who was original had any of the Signs your Visor have. I know it is a bitter Pill to to take but it will remain, this Visor is not original. It is a put together nothing more.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #50
ferdinandmax
Association Member

found on the waf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180107_103643756.jpg (106.9 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by ferdinandmax; 02-14-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #51
ferdinandmax
Association Member

kkkkkkk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7375.jpg (60.4 KB, 262 views)

Old 02-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #52
AntiqueWW2
Association Member

I do not understand what you try to say here? It is NOT important if they use Scissors from that type or not, maybe they do maybe they do not, in my Opinion they do not use it. The only thing what is here important is that your Visor have way too many Red Flags in every Corner to be anywhere close to an original wartime SS Visor. Erel was one of the TOP Manufactures for Visors and they would never put together something like this and then give it to one Officer. I had a lot Erel made Visors, they where all perfectly done in any way......so again, i am sorry that you have got a Put Together Visor, but this is exactly what it is.....Not original put together lookalike Visor.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #53
DonC
Association Member

I think we are getting too far down in the weeds with the pinking shears issue. I primarily collect Erel visors because they have, in my opinion, a beautiful shape and construction characteristics that do not vary. With all due respect to FM, this is not a cap that I would be comfortable owning. Pinking shears are only one issue. I have larger issues with the overall shape, lack of overhang and atypical piping.

Just my two cents. Ferdinand Max, I wish you the best and mean no disrespect.

Don

Old 02-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #54
AntiqueWW2
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC View Post
I think we are getting too far down in the weeds with the pinking shears issue. I primarily collect Erel visors because they have, in my opinion, a beautiful shape and construction characteristics that do not vary. With all due respect to FM, this is not a cap that I would be comfortable owning. Pinking shears are only one issue. I have larger issues with the overall shape, lack of overhang and atypical piping.

Don
Well said!

Old 02-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #55
ferdinandmax
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC View Post

Don
Thanks for the answer, as regards the shape you're right, the hair has inside the round wire to make it rigid, the photo below is without iron wire raised, strange no comment on the inside, on the seams that are perfect, the projections I measured them are identical to the other triple Erel Gebirgsjaeger that I have in collection, greetings and thanks. sergio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6007.JPG (180.1 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by ferdinandmax; 02-14-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #56
ferdinandmax
Association Member

zszszs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6008.JPG (173.8 KB, 232 views)

Old 02-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #57
AntiqueWW2
Association Member

It is sad that someone messed a good Erel up to produce this Crap. Maybe you not understand it right. Some Parts from the Visor was one time an original Erel, then someone choose that he is smart, and build the Visor you have now. But what ever you do, as i already say 2 times before, this Visor is now Crap. Happens to me a few times in the early days too so i know it is hard to take but after a few times it happens to me i call it learning the hard way and move on.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #58
wolfslair44
Association Member

I'm not sure what is left to be said. FM, there are a good number of knowledgeable visor experts who have given you their opinion. If you like it, that's all that matters, but realistically it's not one that's going to get any thumbs up here. Hoping you didn't spend too much. And if so, hopefully someone can give you a refund. Best of luck.

Last edited by wolfslair44; 02-14-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Fake
Old 02-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #59
Dr. Strangelove
Association Member

Default Fake

Hat is fake.

It‘s a Frankenstein.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:20 AM   #60
AntiqueWW2
Association Member

These are the words i try to say just in a more nice way. That did not work but i think now it does

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Hat is fake.

It‘s a Frankenstein.