wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > U.S. Militaria Forum

U.S. Militaria Forum Militaria of the United States of America.

Old 05-08-2005, 06:06 AM   #16
Luftm40
Association Member

Shawn, follow the procedure in para 3 of post #3. It usually takes a few weeks to get an answer, and often you get the "so sorry" letter saying the records were destroyed in the 1973 fire. I've submitted a number of these requests and have decided that what you get hinges on which technician gets the tasking. Some will go the extra mile, others will completely blow you off. If you DO get service record info back, the unit can often be determined.

link
Old 06-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #17
all1knew
Lifetime Member

Default link

Hello,

Can you provide a link where I can start to find out some information on my grandfather, Robert William Kramer as he served in the 20th airborne and that is all that I know as of right now. I don't have a service number and would like to find one as well. Please let me know either way.

Thank you.

William Kramer

Old 06-09-2005, 06:03 AM   #18
NavyFCO

Here's some good news for folks looking for pre-WW2 Navy and Marine Corps records. Now, I wonder how many of these will end up getting burned by the 1973 fire???

National Archives to Open Sealed Military Documents
OVERLAND, Mo. (June 8) - When Elvis Presley entered the Army, a fretful public launched a letter-writing campaign.

"Will you please, please be so sweet and kind as to ask Ike to bring Elvis Presley back to us from the Army? We need him in our entertainment world," pleaded one 1958 letter from a Sacramento, Calif., couple to then-first lady Mamie Eisenhower.

The anxious missive is among documents included in the 1.2 million military personnel files the National Archives will open to the public Saturday for the first time.

Among the documents are records related to famous politicians, military leaders - and at least one rock 'n' roll star. The bulk, however, relate to former enlisted personnel in the Navy from 1885 to 1939, or in the Marines from 1906 to 1939.

The National Personnel Records Center, located in this St. Louis suburb, is highlighting the files of 150 prominent people who served in the military and died at least a decade ago, including several presidents, famous writers, professional athletes and military figures.

Elvis' time in the military sparked high interest. Parents of enlisted men wrote letters, too, worried the star would get preferential treatment or early release.

"I am sure us poor people can do without his singing and rock and roll until he serves his country just like my son has to," an Oak Park, Ill., mother wrote to a congressman.

While the files provide a glimpse of social history, they also cross into the world of politics, literature, sports and entertainment.

John F. Kennedy's file, for instance, has an account from the much-studied sinking of the PT 109, the Navy patrol torpedo boat he commanded as a lieutenant that sank after being rammed by a Japanese destroyer off the Solomon Islands.

Writer Jack Kerouac, who enlisted in the Navy, was confined to a military hospital for a time in 1943 while psychiatrists tried to determine if he had a mental disorder.

"Patient's father, Leo A. Kerouac, states that his son has been `boiling' for a long time," one entry notes.

Years before filming "The Great Escape," Terrance Steven McQueen was placed under military arrest for being AWOL while in the Marines. Lt. Jackie Robinson's file captures racial barriers he encountered, noting he checked with the Special Service Branch and learned there were no openings for black officers there.

Bryan McGraw, the center's assistant director for archival programs, said there are about 56 million records relating to inactive military personnel at the center. They usually are available only to the veteran, next of kin, the agency that created the record, or by approved special request.

The Defense Department and the National Archives Records Administration agreed in 1999 to work to release some documents because of interest from the public and researchers.

"I think those records will help the average American trying to explore genealogy, a family past," said Michael Pavkovic, the diplomacy and military studies director at Hawaii Pacific University in Honolulu.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:57 AM   #19
Paul McKee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyFCO
Here's some good news for folks looking for pre-WW2 Navy and Marine Corps records...
I confess I'm a little confused by this news. What records are being made public? The article mentions pre-1939 USMC and USN records, but then goes on to mention a whole lot of celebrity-related documents post-1939 and non USN/USMC. Are only records pertaining to certain celebrities being made public?

I'd like to research a pre-1939 Marine officer by the name R.M. Hendricks. Does this news offer any new possibilities?

Thanks for any help!
Paul

Old 08-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #20
ParaCollector45

I got a quick question. How long does it usually take to get a response back? I sent my 180 form almost three months ago and have not recieved one word back from them. Do I try again or keep waiting?

Old 08-05-2005, 01:41 PM   #21
historyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepeleptic
I got a quick question. How long does it usually take to get a response back? I sent my 180 form almost three months ago and have not recieved one word back from them. Do I try again or keep waiting?
Keep waiting. I've had to wait 9 months for some of my requests. After 4 or 5 months, though, you could call them and ask what request number it was assigned-- that is one way to make sure they received your request, but calling really won't expidite things.

Researching Veterans
Old 08-12-2005, 07:20 PM   #22
historyguy

Default Researching Veterans

One other free source that I think is often overlooked: Go to http://www.google.com and type in the veteran's name. And, don't just type first name, last name and give up after checking the first or second link returned. Search using last name alone, first and last, with and without middle name/initial, last name first, with and without quotation " " marks. You'd be surprised at what you can find just checking the World Wide Web.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:29 AM   #23
Dudley

Hi, is it possible to get info about an American vet if you're a foreigner (in my case Dutch)?

Old 01-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #24
historyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbycobra1966
Hi, is it possible to get info about an American vet if you're a foreigner (in my case Dutch)?
Yes, if you have enough data to fill out a Form-180, discussed above, foreigners can also request info from the 201 File. They can obtain Individual Deceased Personnel Files, too.

[Thanks, Jim, for confirming this.]

Old 05-09-2006, 09:08 PM   #25
jeremiahcable

This thread hasn't had much added to it in ways of research avenues lately so here goes one. For a veteran that is buried in a VA cemetary, state veteran's cemetary or has a government gravemarker you can use the following link. If you find where they are buried you can possibly find an obitiuary notice from the local area or some other information. Hope this helps some of the collectors here.

Jeremiah

http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/j2ee/servlet/NGL_v1

Old 08-15-2006, 06:31 AM   #26
Syl

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for some help to try to identify the owners of two helmets I own.

I've done some researches but fail to find any info. The Nara files are useless since both helmets belonged to officers. May be someone holding some officers roster will be able to help me.

- The first helmet is a late war paratrooper helmet (swivel bales and Westinghouse liner). Markings on the helmet identify a Lt or 2nd Lt from the 501st Regiment 2nd battalion. Partial asn is D-5534

- The second helmet is a regular M1 (fixed bales) that bears marking for artillery HQ (circle and tick at 12 o'clock ). Also has a Lt bar. Partial ASN is T 5601 can also be T 5901 or T5301 as the second number is faded.

Any help on those two helmets would be really appreciated.
Many thanks.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:15 PM   #27
grovb

this site came from our member wartimecollectibles website. I thoguht it was good so I'd post it.

http://www.cyndislist.com/worldwar2.htm#Reg

Old 08-15-2007, 11:04 PM   #28
landsknechte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for some help to try to identify the owners of two helmets I own.

I've done some researches but fail to find any info. The Nara files are useless since both helmets belonged to officers. May be someone holding some officers roster will be able to help me.

- The first helmet is a late war paratrooper helmet (swivel bales and Westinghouse liner). Markings on the helmet identify a Lt or 2nd Lt from the 501st Regiment 2nd battalion. Partial asn is D-5534

- The second helmet is a regular M1 (fixed bales) that bears marking for artillery HQ (circle and tick at 12 o'clock ). Also has a Lt bar. Partial ASN is T 5601 can also be T 5901 or T5301 as the second number is faded.

Any help on those two helmets would be really appreciated.
Many thanks.
As far as I know, there is no way to search with just the initial and the last four of the ASN. (I'd love to be proven wrong.) The info is out there, it's just that the NARA search engine isn't configured to allow it.

I think the only option will be something unit specific, and those of us with random marked bits without a specific unit connection are S.O.L.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #29
Luftm40
Association Member

There are two that I have used extensively. This is the address and format to get the death records for KIA personnel:

US Army Human Resources Command 3 June 2006
ATTN: AHRC-PAO (FOIA)
200 Stovall Street
Alexandria, VA
22332-0400

Gentlemen, I am a researcher seeking information on a US Army soldier killed in WWII under the FOIA. His name was PFC Marion A. Turner ASN 39261702.
I would like to request the Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF) for PFC Turner.

I agree to pay any FOIA fees associated with this request. ________________________

My mailing address:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Old 03-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #30
Luftm40
Association Member

Here is the NPRC request for service record info:

National Personnel Records Center 12 May 2007
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Ave
St. Louis, MO
63132-5100

Gentlemen, I am seeking information on a US Army WWII soldier named Lawrence D Martin ASN 33533580.
I would like to request any FOIA releasable information you may have for him such as campaigns, awards and photographs.

I agree to pay any FOIA fees associated with this request. ________________________

My mailing address:

XXXXXXXXXXXX

Make sure you sign the request. I also include my phone# and email address, and on two occasions the clerks have called me to get more info