wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Optics Forum

Optics Forum Rangefinders, binoculars, sniper scopes, cameras and their accessories

Old 04-24-2019, 09:34 PM   #16
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
It seems pretty clear from the fairly extensive period material, both regarding the training and the personal accounts, that most shots were taken in the 250-350 m range and often much closer. This range seems to hold true for most of the nations who fielded snipers. I think that the best shooter, under ideal conditions, could get high probability hits at twice those ranges it was not at all common for those shots to be taken. This opinion is simply based on the credible accounts that I have read.
Pretty sure the average kill was under 100 meters during WW2. Things have changed.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #17
Mikedenmark
Association Member

I used the .308 for sniper practise many years ago. (All we had at the time)
With a 4x scope on a stanag mount.

400 meter wasn´t a problem, but, further out than 600, would have been a problem. Practise out to 800 - 1200 was rare indeed. Few ranges that long.

These days, with .50 sniper rifles, it´s a different game. The records set in Afghanistan and similar places are remarkable. As the conditions are.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:07 PM   #18
phild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
Pretty sure the average kill was under 100 meters during WW2. Things have changed.
I have seen studies that support that range (100 yards/meters and less) for iron sight infantryman, but from what I have read from numerous sniper reports, many 100s, I believe the 250-350 meter range was more common for snipers as their longer ranges but fairly often undertaken and successful.

Yes, much has changed today, but that said in my practical professional (former) opinion, few today could hang with standard 75 years ago.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #19
Mikedenmark
Association Member

Unless I sat in a trench, I wouldn´t bother with things more than 100 meter away. Simply too much to cope with, if I did.
Just walk in a forest, or on a field, and imagine you should keep track of everything even within 100 meter. To call it stressfull is an understatement..

Markmanship has been better. Automatic rifles, and smaller cartridges made it less important. Just blast off 3 shots in each burst. Fair chance one will hit something.