wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Living History Forum

Living History Forum Discussions of battlefield sites, reenacting, veteran news, and all "current" historical events.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:44 PM   #121
Jean-Loup
Association Member

In this particular edition, Garrufi co-authored a description of their recent group trip back to Ravensbrück.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzzGarrufi Ravensbruck8.jpg (214.7 KB, 606 views)

Last edited by Jean-Loup; 01-31-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:45 PM   #122
Jean-Loup
Association Member

Several photos show Garrufi wearing his KL tunic at post war ceremonies. This goes to show once again that these items were preserved by many survivors, contrary to some claims that have been made. I do wonder however if the tunics pictured are the exact ones worn during the time they were detained, or if these are unissued tunics that the former detainees were issued immediately after their liberation, and on which they applied new badges. Hard to know...
Garrufi is wearing a light tunic, while his female companion is wearing a heavy material one, with larger and darker stripes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzzGarrufi Ravensbruck9.jpg (115.2 KB, 606 views)
File Type: jpg zzzGarrufi Ravensbruck10.jpg (88.7 KB, 607 views)

Old 01-31-2015, 04:49 PM   #123
Jean-Loup
Association Member

And of course I would not have posted all this if it were not for this:
The buttons are the compressed cardboard type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzzGarrufi Ravensbruck11.jpg (95.8 KB, 603 views)
File Type: jpg zzzGarrufi Ravensbruck12.jpg (185.2 KB, 602 views)

Old 01-31-2015, 04:51 PM   #124
Jean-Loup
Association Member

I will try to find our more about Garrufi. He seems like the kind of person who probably wrote about his experiences. The difficult part will be to find where such a document may be now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzzGarrufi Ravensbruck13.jpg (217.9 KB, 606 views)

Old 02-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #125
Kowal

As a number of users asked me for additional pictures, I thought it may be fine to share them here also. Any comments are welcome.

It's my great-grandfather's Stutthof uniform.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #126
Jean-Loup
Association Member

Kowal, I am reposting some of your pictures, so that they do not disapear from the thread on the long term.
Do you have any period photos of your relative with the uniform, or any documents related to his wartime experiences?

JL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 398f43610917df19gen.jpg (188.6 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg 9cad29f6af8e8023gen.jpg (150.0 KB, 551 views)

Old 02-22-2015, 08:39 AM   #127
Jean-Loup
Association Member

K
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f96f7c8cc5afe0afgen.jpg (181.1 KB, 556 views)
File Type: jpg ef736f38ade42dd6gen.jpg (132.1 KB, 553 views)

Old 02-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #128
Kowal

Thanks, Jean-Loup.

Unfortunately, I have no other wartime camp-related memorabilia of my great-grandfather. The only document is his early post war (IX 1945) identity card of association called "Polish Association of Former Political Prisoners of Nazi Prisons and Concentration Camps" with his photo. If it's interesting for you, I can post its scan.

The other document is post war - I asked KL Stutthof museum if they have any more details on my relative's life in a camp. I only received pure register record information (date of Stapo arrest and date of arrival at the camp).

Best regards,
Pawel

Old 02-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #129
Gaspare

-
*Pawel.,, Please,,post that ID, it would be great to see..

Quick update on my grouping. In Oct. of 2012 SuperStorm Sandy hit the North East of the US. Prepare as much as you want but when something like that hits it scores a knock out. I lost a Nazi regalia collection that took 38 yrs to build. Very little survived. Thank God that the D.C. Museum had the grouping! They even held on to it an additional 7 months until we found a place to live.. Believe it or not those affected by the storm are still having problems. I have decided to let someone else take care of the grouping that is in more of a secure position. He has the jackets,pants, the original 'pink' SS arrest warrant,photos of in wear. Postwar photos, Dachau ID, research everything. I now just have copies of it all. At least I know I'll keep my promise of keeping it safe,,and dry!

Glad to see this topic still going and even better with new additions, Very interesting,,keep it going guys!! , Thanks..,G.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #130
Kowal

Well. life's surprising. I wrote that I have received nothing for the KL Stutthof Museum, but today... I received 2 great scanned documents: one from KL and one from gestapo. They are priceless for me. Please find them attached below. Plus the identity card I wrote before.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #131
Gaspare

Wow! Really nice! That is the 'icing on the cake'!

Old 03-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #132
Jean-Loup
Association Member

I was scanning some of the more significant photos in the Garrufi grouping today, and found this interesting autographed photo of Sidney Chaplain, elder half brother of Charlie Chaplin, and who died in Nice in 1965.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gaffuri Rene7.jpg (152.5 KB, 474 views)

Old 03-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #133
Kurt Meyer

A czech pilot in ww2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-1.jpg (79.2 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpeg ATT00004-1.jpeg (6.9 KB, 420 views)

Old 03-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #134
Jean-Loup
Association Member

I recently had the honnor of interviewing a Dachau camp survivor. He told me specificaly that he and all the others with him returned how with their KL uniforms because that is all they had. He said his pants were severely torn though, so he managed to get a pair of black German tanker pants from the nearby SS stores. He had already given away his tunic to a museum, but still had a cap, never washed since the war he specified.
This is more evidence that the rumour that all camp cloths were burned is very far from true...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05036.JPG (236.4 KB, 283 views)