wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Tony Barto SS Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Tony Barto SS Uniforms and Insignia Forum Dedicated to SS cloth collecting and anything else SS related.

View Poll Results: Do you think that an original uniform with original insignia that has been 'put toget
Yes 271 50.75%
No 263 49.25%
Voters: 534. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #31
Johnny R
Association Member

I agree, Aside from the rare Vet pick up or Family buy I prefer to have one I know is restored using original materials or one that I restored back to original. That way you know what you have. I see nothing wrong with doing this as long as they are not sold as original .

Old 07-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #32
bnz. 42
Banned by Moderators

NickVR you can look at them as you wish but I love them no any less
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WSSWRAP.JPG (233.0 KB, 1487 views)

Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #33
Johnny R
Association Member

Did the tunic have the OF Chevron, DKiG and TDB or where they added?

Old 07-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #34
bnz. 42
Banned by Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodgson View Post
Did the tunic have the OF Chevron, DKiG and TDB or where they added?
Didn't I stated it clearly in post 30 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnz. 42 View Post
Only eagle on this piece is originally applied; even belt buckle is put-together with its belt

Tunics
Old 07-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #35
Steve Flanagan
Lifetime Member

Default Tunics

I chose Totenkopf as initially I thought Id put a worn cufftitle on it and that finding that cufftitle would be an extremely hard and expensive thing to do. Since that time Ive reconsidered as there is no evidence of it ever having a cufftitle. I dont see it being a separate part of history but a division in the Waffen SS. It has buttons that are sewn on with different colored thread field repairs and a scorch mark on the pocket,,,all part of its history,,,who knows which tab it originally had but it was SS all the time.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #36
Johnny R
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnz. 42 View Post
Didn't I stated it clearly in post 30 ?
No, that is why I asked. What you said does not mean that you did not replace original insignia or awards that were there before, rather that the Eagle is the only item originally sewn to the tunic. Very nice restoration. Much better than having a stripped SS panzer tunic.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #37
Hardigan
Association Member

A 'put together' tunic is indeed a period tunic and with original insignia very nice but it is not ''original'' anymore.The few people wo have untouched tunics are very lucky .
But how about if you have an original tunic and only the eagle is missing and you put a new eagle on it ? I think then it's only a sort of 'repair' .

Last edited by Hardigan; 07-11-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #38
Luca Ongaro
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardigan View Post
The few people wo have untouched tunics are very lucky .
Personally I prefer an untouched nice Heer combat tunic to a restored WSS but I have no problems with "put togheter" tunics, the problem is how we value these.
I don't vote.
Luca

Old 07-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #39
bnz. 42
Banned by Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Ongaro View Post
Personally I prefer an untouched nice Heer combat tunic to a restored WSS but I have no problems with "put togheter" tunics, the problem is how we value these.
I don't vote.
Luca
Then why you have bunch of restored WSS instead of "untouched nice Heer combat tunics"?

Old 07-12-2008, 01:41 AM   #40
Sonny

I prefer to leave stripped tunics or unissued tunics just as they are, they are nice items of history. I find the study of their construction just as interesting.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #41
C.O.Sargent

I say yes if its for your self alone collection, but if you are going to sell it or use it as trade bait then every thing done to the tunic should be stated.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #42
Ian Hulley

We had a TV series over here called 'Only fools and horses' one of the characters was called Trigger, he worked for the local council as a road sweeper ... in one sketch Trigger states he's had the same broom for 8 years .... it's had 4 heads and 3 handles.

The moral (to me) is where do we draw the line on what's 'original'. They may look nice restored and we may never know if something's 100% untouched BUT the only one you can look at without that little nagging doubt is the one direct from the wearer himself, documented and nailed-on, never been through a dealer's paws or tarted up by an avaricious collector, adding a loop here or a ribbon there.

Guess I'll be living without an SS tunic then

Ian.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #43
Johnny R
Association Member

I have a beautiful absolutley highest quality overcoat that I bought for 300 or 400 dollars. It was named with a very unusual last name "Ollrog". When I bought it there were fake army majors boards sewn into it horribly but the clear outline of an SS eagle. I researched the name for Army and found no matches. I was then able to learn that the man was Wolfgang Ollrog, the IIa for the II SS Panker Korps and I now have about 300 pages of his personel files, NSDAP records, Gestapo reports etc. I am in the process of restoring (using original insignia) the coat back to the way it would have been worn with this man as a Sturmbahnfuher with the IInd SS Korps. This to me is one of the best parts of the hobby. It is just my opinon but I enjoy researching individuals and then restoring historical objects back to the way they were.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #44
Panzer Rob
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodgson View Post
I have a beautiful absolutley highest quality overcoat that I bought for 300 or 400 dollars. It was named with a very unusual last name "Ollrog". When I bought it there were fake army majors boards sewn into it horribly but the clear outline of an SS eagle. I researched the name for Army and found no matches. I was then able to learn that the man was Wolfgang Ollrog, the IIa for the II SS Panker Korps and I now have about 300 pages of his personel files, NSDAP records, Gestapo reports etc. I am in the process of restoring (using original insignia) the coat back to the way it would have been worn with this man as a Sturmbahnfuher with the IInd SS Korps. This to me is one of the best parts of the hobby. It is just my opinon but I enjoy researching individuals and then restoring historical objects back to the way they were.

Was there a first name on the tag? Or just the last name?

There are at least two Ollrog's listed on the German War Graves website - not a common name no doubt, but there was more than one. Are you 100% sure that 'your' jacket originally belonged to 'the' Ollrog who was the IIa for the II.SS Panzer Korps?

Rob

Old 07-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #45
Johnny R
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Johnson View Post
Was there a first name on the tag? Or just the last name?

There are at least two Ollrog's listed on the German War Graves website - not a common name no doubt, but there was more than one. Are you 100% sure that 'your' jacket originally belonged to 'the' Ollrog who was the IIa for the II.SS Panzer Korps?

Rob
Thanks for "checking the math", I am way ahead of you and looked at the grave site a couple years ago when I bought the coat. Of the two Ollrogs listed on the VG the first died in 1919 and the second was an Oberjaeger. The coat is a tailor made officers overcoat in doeskin. There is a button on the right for the staff cords and the date of the tailor is the same as when the 4th SS Police Division was stationed in the vicinity of Paris with a clear outline of an SS officers eagle. Narrows it down a bit to an SS staff officer (Ollrog was Division IIa for the 4th SS Div.) being in Paris named Ollrog in January 1941. Nothing is 100% but I would say that it becomes pretty likely this is the man.