wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Wehrmacht Equipment Forum

Wehrmacht Equipment Forum Equipment and gear of the Wehrmacht era.

MP40 pouch set mystery
Old 10-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #1
Collectinsteve

Default MP40 pouch set mystery

Hi all,

Years ago I purchased this set of MP40 pouches with the marking "BGS" on it. As I am interested in post-war BRD items I was intrigued that there might be some connection to the Bundesgrenzschutz, even though there is no record of them using the MP40 even in the earliest of early days. BGS did have post-war manufactured Kar98k pouches that were identical to wartime, but then again they did use the Kar98k until the G1 came about.

The pouches are obviously quite old. The leather is dried and broken in a few places. The color of the exposed surfaces is lighter than other areas. There are no markings other than the ink stamp shown in my pictures.

Can anybody tell me anything about this set? Was "BGS" by coincidence a code for a wartime manufacturer? Are there any instances of wartime pouches being manufactured without stamps on the belt loops? If this is not wartime production, what might it be?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 10-05-2019, 03:02 AM   #2
IanC
Association Member

Hi Steve,

For me they are reproduction pouches.

The red flag for me is the poor quality stitching. If you compare with known originals you will see what I mean.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #3
Collectinsteve

Thanks Ian,

I know the standard rule of thumb for Third Reich related stuff is "when in doubt, doubt authenticity". With the myriad of fakes out there, it's the only sensible approach. Because of that I've been suspicious of its origins. The elements that have confused me are the same that confused the prior owner... the "BGS" stamp and the lack of the usual signs of overt attempts at fakery (bad WaA stamps, for example).

As I said in my description, this set is old. Very old. Based on other items I've had with similar levels of degraded leather, I'd say 40-50 years. At what point did items like this start being reproduced? Often the early reproductions/fakes are specifically known to advanced collectors. Anybody have any specific information on what I have?

On the plus side for me, I didn't pay an enormous amount of money for them. The condition plus lack of provenance kept the price in the range of a reasonable risk. Certainly helps me concentrate on seeking the truth instead of trying to defend a bad purchase

Thanks!

Steve

MP40 Pouch Set
Old 10-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
Grossfuss
Association Member

Default MP40 Pouch Set

Hi,

Here's a pair of "clg 43" pouches for your comparison - the difference in stitching, particularly on the rear loops, is clear to see.

That stamp is odd to say the least.

Granted these aren't trying to be a "clg" pair, but if they were the leather strap on the loading tool pouch is a give-away - "clg" used the strap on their tan pouches but not on the green.

Regards,

Grossfuss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Green clg43 pouches front.jpg (123.7 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg Green clg43 pouches LH loops close.jpg (136.5 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg Green clg43 pouches rear.jpg (123.3 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Green clg43 pouches RH loops.jpg (125.4 KB, 210 views)

Old 10-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
anmarlodz
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectinsteve View Post
Hi all,

Years ago I purchased this set of MP40 pouches with the marking "BGS" on it. As I am interested in post-war BRD items I was intrigued that there might be some connection to the Bundesgrenzschutz, even though there is no record of them using the MP40 even in the earliest of early days. BGS did have post-war manufactured Kar98k pouches that were identical to wartime, but then again they did use the Kar98k until the G1 came about.

The pouches are obviously quite old. The leather is dried and broken in a few places. The color of the exposed surfaces is lighter than other areas. There are no markings other than the ink stamp shown in my pictures.

Can anybody tell me anything about this set? Was "BGS" by coincidence a code for a wartime manufacturer? Are there any instances of wartime pouches being manufactured without stamps on the belt loops? If this is not wartime production, what might it be?

Thanks,

Steve

Repro pouches .

Old 10-06-2019, 11:14 PM   #6
Collectinsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grossfuss View Post
Hi,

Here's a pair of "clg 43" pouches for your comparison - the difference in stitching, particularly on the rear loops, is clear to see.
The rear loops definitely show up the differences clearly, thanks. Also, congrats on having a pristine set in your collection. Beautiful examples!

Quote:
That stamp is odd to say the least.
Yes, exactly. I would have expected a straight copy of a legitimate stamp. Also, isn't the placement of the stamp in an odd spot? I'm absolutely a newbie when it comes to researching the finer details of these pouches, but aren't the stamps usually across the back and not under the flaps?

Thanks for everybody helping confirm what this pair is. I'll chalk them up to the "sometimes you lose" side of collector's risk taking. All part of the adventure of

Don't be surprised if you see this very set on eBay CLEARLY marked as a reproduction set.

Steve