wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Photos and Paper Items Forum

Photos and Paper Items Forum Awards Document and any photo related to the era.

School cap/school uniform assistance request.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
TWS
Association Member

Default School cap/school uniform assistance request.

I have the Nachlass of a Heer Stabsveterinär which includes his photo album. It has a lot of pre-war photos whereby he was evidently in higher education. I am curious if any members could provide any insight based on these photos as far as what type of school, where it likely could have been, etc. Some helpful background is that he was born on 15 November 1913 in Stettin (Pommern, now part of Poland). He and his school pals were fond of wearing school caps and even sashes. Dueling and dueling scars were very popular and this guy eventually received his scar as I trace his timeline through the photo album. In some photos they are even wearing pretty involved school (?) uniforms, but mostly like running around in their school caps and sashes and sword fighting. Unfortunately his album contains zero captions and inspecting the backs of the school-era photos reveals no captions either and only a few with dates of 1932 and 1933. Any input/insight would be appreciated as trying to look up Pommeranian school uniforms from the 1930's is not meeting with much success.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190724_195816.jpg (70.8 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 20190724_195851.jpg (95.8 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 20190724_195950.jpg (76.1 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 20190724_200017.jpg (82.9 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by TWS; 07-24-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:41 PM   #2
TWS
Association Member

Some "Napoleonic" clowning and the curiously elaborate school (?) uniforms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190724_200030.jpg (105.0 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 20190724_200659.jpg (101.9 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 20190724_200709.jpg (70.0 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 20190724_200724.jpg (86.9 KB, 175 views)

Old 07-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #3
TWS
Association Member

To tie it in with the forum, the subject during his time as a Veterinarian in the 95. Infanterie Division. Pretty cool "crusher" Feldmutze alter art he is rocking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190724_200110.jpg (83.8 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 20190724_200139.jpg (70.7 KB, 182 views)

Old 07-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #4
byterock

Hard to tell what university of collage though as a vetranarian the list would be small,

Like you say the Cap and funny uniform bear all the signs of an 'akademisches Fechten' and or a 'German Student Corps' the german version (be it a little more bloody) oy your typical 'Greek Letter' frat-house you find in the US.

They where banned at one time and would hold thier metting in the open out in the woods so the picks seen to fit into that.

Hmm drinking, carousing, reckless behaviour, strange goings on the joys of a youth well wasted.

Some one might be able to Id the the Club and thus the shcool from the colours on the cap.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:04 AM   #5
TWS
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byterock View Post
Hard to tell what university of collage though as a vetranarian the list would be small,

Like you say the Cap and funny uniform bear all the signs of an 'akademisches Fechten' and or a 'German Student Corps' the german version (be it a little more bloody) oy your typical 'Greek Letter' frat-house you find in the US.

They where banned at one time and would hold thier metting in the open out in the woods so the picks seen to fit into that.

Hmm drinking, carousing, reckless behaviour, strange goings on the joys of a youth well wasted.

Some one might be able to Id the the Club and thus the shcool from the colours on the cap.
Thanks a ton for chiming in. Yes, I think it was some type of club/society/student group and could have only been loosely tied to the academic institution. But that's a subject of early Third Reich history that I have little familiarity with and I appreciate your thoughts. It seemed like he had a good time in college - in some of the school photos the dates indicated he would have been ~20 years old. At least he had fun before fate saw him serving on the Russian Front.

I can post a couple more photos tonight that may provide a further clue. Unfortunately he put no captions at all in his album and there is very little writing on the back of the photos, just some dates a few times. The only biographical info I have comes from his Soldbuch.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
HPL2008
Association Member

As said above, these are not school uniforms, but the regalia of a Burschenschaft [Student Corps]. The ornate jackets seen in photo # 3 and 4 in post # 2 are part of the Corps' full regalia worn only for special occasions. The caps and sashes worn with ordinary suits for everyday wear/informal occasions as seen in most of the other photos bear the colors of the Corps, in this case dark green, dark red and gold.

There were and are many, many such color combinations. For illustration, here are just those of the Corps that still exist today:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_...rschenschaften

If something in the group gives us a hint about at what university he studied, it may be possible to identify his Corps.

As the third photo tells us, it was definitely a schlagende Verbindung, i.e. one that practiced the ritualized form of fencing duels known as Mensur, resulting in proudy-worn dueling scars like the one adorning our man's left cheek.

Last edited by HPL2008; 07-25-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #7
TWS
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPL2008 View Post
As said above, these are not school uniforms, but the regalia of a Burschenschaft [Student Corps]. The ornate jackets seen in photo # 3 and 4 in post # 2 are part of the Corps' full regalia worn only for special occasions. The caps and sashes worn with ordinary suits for everyday wear/informal occasions as seen in most of the other photos bear the colors of the Corps, in this case dark green, dark red and gold.

There were and are many, many such color combinations. For illustration, here are just those of the Corps that still exist today:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_...rschenschaften

If something in the group gives us a hint about at what university he studied, it may be possible to identify his Corps.

As the third photo tells us, it was definitely a schlagende Verbindung, i.e. one that practiced the ritualized form of fencing duels known as Mensur, resulting in proudy-worn dueling scars like the one adorning our man's left cheek.
Thank-you HPL2008! Great info. Luckily Hans-Joachim stuck that illustrated card in the album that show us the colors of his Burschenschaft since the photos are B/W.
I'll look through the long list you linked. Unfortunately if it is only those still extant today, his may not be listed. I do not want to 100% assume the location, but his Burschenschaft was likely based in Stettin and thus probably dissolved when Stettin became Szczecin and Pomerania become Poland in 1945.

“From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, an iron curtain has descended across the continent." - Churchill

I will go back through the album tonight and post any other photos that may provide clues. I have one in particular in mind but may decide others are useful.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:41 AM   #8
max history

What a wanker holding the sword in the obviously posed image no. 2.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:28 AM   #9
wilhelm Saris

Location: in the south of the Netherlands (between Venlo and Eindhoven), near the German and Belgium border

In Stettin were located in about 1940/1941:
Staatsbauschule with the Kameradschaften I (Pohle); II (Radünz) and III (Klank).
Further the Staatsliche Ingenieurschule with Kameradschaft I ( Nettelbeck); II (Wrangel); III (Von Mackensen); IV (Wilhelm Bauer); V (Lilienthal) and VI (Schröder).
Also the Meisterschule des Deutschen Handwerks with one Kameradschaft (Schild).

Old 07-26-2019, 03:29 AM   #10
wilhelm Saris

Location: in the south of the Netherlands (between Venlo and Eindhoven), near the German and Belgium border

Staatsbauschule with the Kameradschaften I (Pohle); II (Radünz) and III (Klank).
Further the Staatsliche Ingenieurschule with Kameradschaft I ( Nettelbeck); II (Wrangel); III (Von Mackensen); IV (Wilhelm Bauer); V (Lilienthal) and VI (Schröder).
There existed other high-schools at Gau Pommern.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:35 AM   #11
wilhelm Saris

sorry double post!

Old 07-26-2019, 08:23 AM   #12
TWS
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by max history View Post
What a wanker holding the sword in the obviously posed image no. 2.
Oh yes, definitely posed. There is one more photo in the album from that "scene" and IMO that guy is clowning on Napoleon (the other photo seems to reinforce that notion).

Old 07-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
HPL2008
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
There existed other high-schools at Gau Pommern.
Thanks, Wim. (I presume said Kameradschaften were NSDStB formations?)

Anyway, we can rule out that our man attended any of those schools, as he was a veterinarian.

Actually, it looks like we can rule out Stettin as the site of his university altogether. I found that although there are three universities at Stettin, all of them were only founded post-war.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #14
wilhelm Saris

Yes, the mentioned were Kameradschaften from the NS-Studentenbund.
In the Pommern-area there was not such for veteranians, as far as I know. Who knows he went elsewhere.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #15
HPL2008
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
Yes, the mentioned were Kameradschaften from the NS-Studentenbund.
In the Pommern-area there was not such for veteranians, as far as I know. Who knows he went elsewhere.
Within the former borders of the Third Reich, the following universities currently have faculties for veterinary medicine:

Berlin, Gießen, Hanover, Leipzig and Munich (Germany), Vienna (Austria), Olsztyn (then Allenstein) and Wroclaw (then Breslau) (Poland).

I don't know whether all of them already had these faculties pre-1945 or if there were additional ones back then.

Still, perhaps this could be a clue.