wehrmacht awards

WW2 British Army Lt Col medal group research help needed
Old 06-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
kalamees
Association Member

Default WW2 British Army Lt Col medal group research help needed

I have had this box of medals for a while and I really need to find out a little bit more about the recipient, the medal slip says that he should have 5 medals but there are only four, I am guessing that there is probably a star missing. When I looked at the medal box it says "Commonwealth Relations Office" does this mean that he was Canadian or Australian or something? What would be the best way of researching him? Thanks Nigel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7337.jpg (128.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7338.jpg (134.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7339.jpg (146.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7340.jpg (99.4 KB, 116 views)

Old 06-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
byterock

My guess for the msissing one would be the MID an oak leaf that would go on the War Medal 1939-1945.. There is a very small chanch it could be the Kings Commindation for bravery but that is supper rare.

The MID will be in the Gazette and you could look his name up.

A generic set of service medals we know he went over to Europe after D-day but that is about it.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
kalamees
Association Member

Thank you for the information, Nigel

Old 06-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
ROBB
Association Member

I agree possibly MID clasp as he was an officer,could have been at Dunkirk got wounded hung round blighty in stores for 4 years then fancied one last hurrah bagged a ticket to France organized stores with efficiency and vigor and got the MID. Rob

Old 06-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
popskipa
Association Member

The book "Services of British Army Officers 1939-1945" lists only one RL Harman.

Robert Leslie Harman, born 29/6/07, Unattached List, 2nd Lieutenant 30/8/26, Indian Army 2nd Lieutenant 23/11/27, Lieutenant 30/11/28, Captain 30/8/35, (acting Major 13/6/43 to 29/8/43), Major 30/8/43.

He is most probably the medal recipient. You would need to look at Indian Army records to discover the Regiments/Corps in which he served.

If the medals are for sale please contact me, I enjoy a research project...

Keith

Old 06-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #6
popskipa
Association Member

With regard the medal transmittal letter. The way it has been completed, 5-0, indicates that five medals, and zero clasps (or devices e.g. mid) were issued. The missing medal (Burma, Africa or Italy Star) may be guessed if we knew the Regiment or Corps in which he served. But only confirmed by referring to his service papers.

It is also possible the WWII medals in the box are not his only medal entitlement. He may have qualified for an India General Service medal 1908-35, India General Service medal 1936-39, General Service medal 1918-64, India Service medal 1939-45, etc. His service dates indicate he could have qualified for any or all of them. Again, all this information will be on his service papers.

As said in my last post, an interesting research project.

Keith

Old 06-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #7
kalamees
Association Member

Thanks Keith, I do think that it could be five medals becuase the bar which was included is for two stars which probably means that the other bar would have had at least three to balance it. It is really interesting perhaps he got a DSO or MC? Nigel

Old 06-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
kalamees
Association Member

I found out that he was the Commanding Officer of the Burma Rifles, the missing medals that I can see are the Burma star and he got an OBE in 1948. I just have to find a Military OBE and I can re-build the group, the Internet is a great tool. Nigel

Old 06-13-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
byterock

Hmm I have my doupts it was Robert Leslie Harman,

It would be an odd combination to the BS, F&G and the Defense medal for an army officer. Seen it for Airfoce and Navy but not a field officer.

My guess some senior TA type or even HG or a re-uppe retired officer could be it as well.

The initals on the box do not always match up with the intial used by the indivitual. Remember it was a very big Army and many many simple mistake where made.

The address is interesting just a simple lowwer middle class row house (though it will cost you a cool 2,000,000$) .

Looking at the local tax rolls for the date might yeild some more details ect. could be the home of his parents etc

Old 06-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
kalamees
Association Member

I can only go by the evidence which is online, he is mentioned many times as the Commanding Officer of the 1st Battalion the Karen Rifles, Burma. Major acting Lt Col. The box says that this is a Commonwealth group, the fact that it was sent to a lower class house should not be considered. He was awarded an OBE on the 1948 New Years Honours list.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
macleod
Association Member

Hi Kalamees

the Armed Forces Records have him serving in India up until 1940, at which point he was in the War Office and a captain. He enlisted in 1928. Oddly, there is nothing beyond 1940...

regards

macleod

Old 06-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #12
macleod
Association Member

He was a General Staff Officer, 3rd Grade, in the Mahratta Light Infantry in 1940.

regards

macleod

Last edited by macleod; 06-13-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo

Old 06-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #13
kalamees
Association Member

Perhaps he came back to Europe and did a bit of service here before joining the Karen rifles in Burma. It looks like he did a fair bit of service if it is the same Officer

Old 06-14-2019, 04:11 AM   #14
kalamees
Association Member

This is his OBE details, his name is not really a common name like Jones or Smith so I think that there should not be any confusion but I am aware that it does happen.
If he joined so early then there may be more medals which sadly have been lost.

Harman, Robert Leslie
Nationality:
British (1801-present, Kingdom)
Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE)
Period:
Second World War (1939-1945)
Temporary Lieutenant-Colonel
Unit:
1st Battalion, The Karen Rifles, British Indian Army
Awarded on:
January 1st, 1948
Nigel

Old 06-14-2019, 06:40 AM   #15
byterock

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
Hi Kalamees

the Armed Forces Records have him serving in India up until 1940, at which point he was in the War Office and a captain. He enlisted in 1928. Oddly, there is nothing beyond 1940...

regards

macleod
If that is the case thes this is most likely our man. He would of missed out on the BS and the PS.