wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Police & Civil Organizations Forum

Police & Civil Organizations Forum Police, RAD, Luftschutz, Org. Todt and other civil support organizations

Polizei or Gendarmerie
Old 07-31-2019, 06:51 AM   #1
Kris
Association Member

Default Polizei or Gendarmerie

Hi all,

Being a gun collector i have this tiny picture in my collection of police (?) men shooting a Luger pistol.
Any idea if this is Polizei (OrPo, SchuPo,..) or Gendarmerie?

Thanks,
Kris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polizei_luger_shooting_2.jpg (108.3 KB, 121 views)

Old 07-31-2019, 07:22 AM   #2
Dave C.

Great photo! With B&W it's difficult if not impossible to tell, although there are a couple of details that make me lean towards Gendarmerie. One is the policeman standing to the left appears to have a really light collar and the second is the makeshift outdoors rural placed shooting bench. Although the color is lighter looking on the one mentioned, the other details are much darker so it could be just lighting and the photo.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
Kris
Association Member

Thanks Dave. I was thinking more towards police because of the black belts and black holster. Shouldn't Gendermarie, in theory, wear brown leather?

Old 07-31-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
W.Unland
Association Member

DAVE,

I think the guy on the left is wearing a field tunic with same fabric collar. I do agree that black and white photos are tough. The sleeve eagle of the guy in the back (Meister with officer's cap cords) is pretty dark. That and the black looking belts and boots as well as dark piping on the cap of the shooter suggest GemPo to me. Could be Schupo. Colors are really tough on these old photos.

Regards,
Bill U

Old 07-31-2019, 08:36 AM   #5
Kris
Association Member

Thank you too Bill.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #6
JoeW
Association Member

I agree with you Bill, that the senior NCO on the left is wearing a field tunic. Judging colors with low resolution black and white images is difficult. But I try and judge contrasting tone/color of things. To me the boots and belts seem lighter tone/color than the dark brown cuffs and black visors, so to me these are Gendarmerie who are taking target practice in the countryside of their Post, as Dave pointed out.
Premium paid for Walther Model 8 #727649 and Walther PP #975557

Old 07-31-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
Kris
Association Member

Thanks Joe

Old 07-31-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
HPL2008
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Being a gun collector i have this tiny picture in my collection of police (?) men shooting a Luger pistol.
Any idea if this is Polizei (OrPo, SchuPo,..) or Gendarmerie?
Just to avoid confusion in terms of terminology:

Orpo [Ordnungspolizei, i.e. Order Police] was the collective designation for all uniformed police branches (which included the Schupo as well as the Gendarmerie), whereas the Sipo [Sicherheitspolizei, i.e. Security Police] were the plain clothes forces (Kripo and Gestapo).

So, although it is difficult to identify their specific branch, they are definitely Orpo men.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:10 PM   #9
Kris
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPL2008 View Post
Just to avoid confusion in terms of terminology:

Orpo [Ordnungspolizei, i.e. Order Police] was the collective designation for all uniformed police branches (which included the Schupo as well as the Gendarmerie), whereas the Sipo [Sicherheitspolizei, i.e. Security Police] were the plain clothes forces (Kripo and Gestapo).

So, although it is difficult to identify their specific branch, they are definitely Orpo men.
Thank you for clarifying that for me

Old 07-31-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
Dave C.

Guess it was a little early, that is a field tunic and the lower patch pockets would exclude any possible earlier variant having a branch denoting colored collar. The collar just looked different to me but most likely the photo. Being that's a later tunic typical of '43 onwards, another possibility is Gendarme M36 looking uniforms with the dark brown collars & cuffs. Think is comes down to possible tone difference like Joe mentions. A tough call!

Old 07-31-2019, 10:28 PM   #11
W.Unland
Association Member

You guys are probably right. The boots do look brown. I concede, looks like Gendarmerie as Dave proffered.

Regards,
Bill U