wehrmacht awards


Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Wehrmacht Equipment Forum

Wehrmacht Equipment Forum Equipment and gear of the Wehrmacht era.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

1937 Pre War Map Case
Old 11-09-2019, 03:52 AM   #1
rhys1
Association Member
 
rhys1 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 51
Default 1937 Pre War Map Case

Morning guys,

I’ve always wanted one of these from 1/35 modelling in my child hood. I’ve been looking for this colour and ‘type’ with this particular buckle for sone time having missed out on a non-pebbled version (which was a little over priced anyway). This ticked all of the boxes with the strap as a bonus. The only trouble is that the leather looks very dry and I dislike the way it’s been marked in the inside but hey-ho always compromising ...

Couple of questions :-

•would you condition the leather
•do you think the strap is original (it is also pebbled and appears to be the same colour of the case)
•can anyone signpost me to a decent book where these map cases are covered
•despite 3 days of searching can anyone recommend a dealer who regularly sticks period case contents (pencils etc)

What are your thoughts on this item ?














Thank you,
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2019, 05:54 AM   #2
Gran Sasso
Member
 
Gran Sasso is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: bavaria
Posts: 14,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys1 View Post
•despite 3 days of searching can anyone recommend a dealer who regularly sticks period case contents (pencils etc)
www.kpemig.de
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
rhys1
Association Member
 
rhys1 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Sasso View Post
Thank you
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #4
Lutfen
Association Member
 
Lutfen's Avatar
 
Lutfen is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cambs, England
Posts: 807
Default

That would have been my recommendation also.

I am not aware of any reference books that focus on map cases. The information is scattered across a range of books covering uniforms and equipment. However there is a lot of info on WAF’s equipment forum. Search for map cases and loads of discussions will be highlighted - including great info on the contents.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Sasso View Post
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
IanC
Association Member
 
IanC's Avatar
 
IanC is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: England
Posts: 2,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys1 View Post
Morning guys,

•would you condition the leather
•do you think the strap is original (it is also pebbled and appears to be the same colour of the case)
•can anyone signpost me to a decent book where these map cases are covered
•despite 3 days of searching can anyone recommend a dealer who regularly sticks period case contents (pencils etc)

What are your thoughts on this item ?

Thank you,
Hello Mate,

These cases are not rare so if you are not 100% happy with it I would wait as another one in better condition will show up.

With respect to your other questions:

•would you condition the leather --> I leave items as I receive them.

•do you think the strap is original --> I've never seen a strap with this type of case. It might be worth searching the forum if you haven't done so already

•can anyone signpost me to a decent book where these map cases are covered -->

Uniforms and Traditions of the German Army Volume 3 by Angolia and Schlicht covers the map case and contents from pages 148 - 155

Ausrüstung Volume 2 by Rory Pickering has colour photos showing a number of different map cases and their contents from the author and others collections.

Deutsche Soldaten by Agustin Sainz similar to Ausrüstung

The Angolia and Schlicht is easy for me to recommend. The other books I would take a look before buying. As Luften has already mentioned you can find a wealth of information here on WAF. This link was the first I got back from a search.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=map+case
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #6
rhys1
Association Member
 
rhys1 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Hello Mate,

These cases are not rare so if you are not 100% happy with it I would wait as another one in better condition will show up.

With respect to your other questions:

•would you condition the leather --> I leave items as I receive them.

•do you think the strap is original --> I've never seen a strap with this type of case. It might be worth searching the forum if you haven't done so already

•can anyone signpost me to a decent book where these map cases are covered -->

Uniforms and Traditions of the German Army Volume 3 by Angolia and Schlicht covers the map case and contents from pages 148 - 155

Ausrüstung Volume 2 by Rory Pickering has colour photos showing a number of different map cases and their contents from the author and others collections.

Deutsche Soldaten by Agustin Sainz similar to Ausrüstung

The Angolia and Schlicht is easy for me to recommend. The other books I would take a look before buying. As Luften has already mentioned you can find a wealth of information here on WAF. This link was the first I got back from a search.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=map+case
Thanks for the book recommendations - I’ll take a peek

I’ve spent the last week reading everything I can find on here relating to map cases and leather restoration. This one was a good price which, like many other items, I try and ‘trade my way up’ to those really awesome collector pieces, enjoying the chase and the individual items and learning along the way.

I bet that case with it’s contents in the link you posted cost a very pretty penny ... Id love to afford something in that condition and ‘complete-ness’ but would unlikely be able to afford it off the bat. Hopefully I’ll get there along the way.

Thanks for the comment regarding the strap - I’ve not seen one either, hence the asking, but it does appear to have similar pebbling pattern - more research required !

Thanks again

Last edited by rhys1; 11-09-2019 at 07:16 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 04:51 AM   #7
Lutfen
Association Member
 
Lutfen's Avatar
 
Lutfen is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cambs, England
Posts: 807
Default

I completely agree with Ian's comments - particularly regarding conditioning the leather. More often than not, this will adversely affect the integrity of the item. As Ian says, keep your eyes open and gradually improve on what you've got - this type of map case definitely does turn up and often at a very reasonable price. The strap looks period, but there is no telling when it was added to the map case. I'd leave it on the case, unless you establish it is not a wartime item.

I've acquired a lot of map cases over the years and now I try to focus on ones marked with the name and unit of the owner. Here are a couple of photos of a map case of a Leutnant belonging to the Regimentsstab of Schützen Regiment 14. It came with the pre-war belt of the officer. The down-side is that it looks like someone has tried to treat the leather in recent years. This was a cheap eBay.de purchase.

By way of map case-related porn, I have also attached a photo of a similar case (also named) along with other types and also German WW2 map boards. A very small part of my accumulation of map cases - a fixation which has also existed from my childhood. Interestingly, the first map case I saw and fell in love with was exactly this style.

Happy hunting,
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Map Case 7.jpg (95.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Map Case 8.jpg (92.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Map Case 1.jpg (196.9 KB, 33 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 05:14 AM   #8
rhys1
Association Member
 
rhys1 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutfen View Post
I completely agree with Ian's comments - particularly regarding conditioning the leather. More often than not, this will adversely affect the integrity of the item. As Ian says, keep your eyes open and gradually improve on what you've got - this type of map case definitely does turn up and often at a very reasonable price. The strap looks period, but there is no telling when it was added to the map case. I'd leave it on the case, unless you establish it is not a wartime item.

I've acquired a lot of map cases over the years and now I try to focus on ones marked with the name and unit of the owner. Here are a couple of photos of a map case of a Leutnant belonging to the Regimentsstab of Schützen Regiment 14. It came with the pre-war belt of the officer. The down-side is that it looks like someone has tried to treat the leather in recent years. This was a cheap eBay.de purchase.

By way of map case-related porn, I have also attached a photo of a similar case (also named) along with other types and also German WW2 map boards. A very small part of my accumulation of map cases - a fixation which has also existed from my childhood. Interestingly, the first map case I saw and fell in love with was exactly this style.

Happy hunting,
Michael
That’s awesome thank you
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM   #9
Gran Sasso
Member
 
Gran Sasso is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: bavaria
Posts: 14,830
Default

One of mine - for sale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1200474.JPG (183.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1200475.JPG (157.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1200476.JPG (172.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1200477.jpg (148.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1200478.JPG (172.4 KB, 17 views)
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com