wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Police & Civil Organizations Forum

Police & Civil Organizations Forum Police, RAD, Luftschutz, Org. Todt and other civil support organizations

Newbie question on disc pricing
Old 02-06-2020, 08:48 PM   #1
helsinkid67

Default Newbie question on disc pricing

Hi friends! I am new to collecting but I am interested in purchasing a Gestapo warrant disc. I have been looking on the Internet and I see many pricing opinions offered years ago, and also a few discs offered for sale today, in prices between about $5000 USD and $15000 USD. Can you help me by offering some opinions on "real" pricing in the year 2020? Thank you!

Old 02-07-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
SiPo

Lots of determining factors for prices.

Average prices are between $6500 - $8500.

However, there are some dreamers out there who believe their discs are worth $10000 - $15000.

I'm not saying that $10 - 15k is not a reasonable price but it completely depends on what the disc comes with?

If the disc comes with additional pieces such as other identity credentials then the price justifies such a group but if it's just the disc alone then $10 - 15K is overpriced IMO.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:00 PM   #3
Gary Symonds
Association Member

Some of the variables are, if it is ground dug, the price could go lower than 5k, depending obviously on the conditon. I bought a Gestapo Disk on the estand that was really ground dug, but original for $1,700, a few years ago.

Then there is the question of what metal it is made from. An early neubsilber disk, in good conditon will be in the 6-8k range.

Then the later one's in steel, that draw a magnet, will probably depending on condition be around 6k.

Watch out for the so-called Polish fakes. These can be recognised by the letters "E"-"I" and "H" that don't match up to originals. These are really dangerous to the new disk collector.

The threads on this Forum have many originals to compare by.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=783501

Hope this helps.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:38 PM   #4
helsinkid67

Thank you everyone for the excellent data. A disc like I want is early, so not magnetic, and also not dug from the ground but in excellent condition. Also without any documents so not a "group" type disc. But still I see discs like that costing 10000 USD or more and I don't know if that is a fair price for today.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
TP Alexander
Association Member

It also matters, in terms of pricing, as to whether it is a 3 digit or 4 digit number.
Something that I didn't know, is that you can put in the number...just the number...into the SEARCH FUNCTION, to see if it has been seen on the WAF before.

And in mentioning the SEARCH FUNCTION, for some reason, putting in 6782 brings up the one currently on the E-Stand but not the original post from 2016.

Tim

Last edited by TP Alexander; 02-08-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Old 02-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #6
J. Wraith

Gestapo discs are struggling to hit 5k, they have been cut in half unless there is some special attribute.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:23 AM   #7
Stan
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP Alexander View Post
It also matters, in terms of pricing, as to whether it is a 3 digit or 4 digit number.
Something that I didn't know, is that you can put in the number...just the number...into the SEARCH FUNCTION, to see if it has been seen on the WAF before.

And in mentioning the SEARCH FUNCTION, for some reason, putting in 6782 brings up the one currently on the E-Stand but not the original post from 2016.

Tim
Tim,

It works for me but there has been a big problem with the search function of late. I mentioned this on Die Kneipe forum last week and it was sorted (for me) right away.

I think that you would be very lucky indeed to get a disc in good condition for less than $5000.

Stan

Old 02-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #8
JoeW
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP Alexander View Post

Tim
What is wrong with the five digit numbers Tim?
Premium paid for Walther Model 8 #727649 and Walther PP #975557

Old 02-14-2020, 05:17 PM   #9
TP Alexander
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
What is wrong with the five digit numbers Tim?

Once again, I stand corrected.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:30 AM   #10
SiPo

Hmmm, not sure who started this bollox that lower numbered discs are more valuable??

Been seriously collecting discs for years but the number ranges have never figured in it for me?

Just another way of squeezing even more money from the buyer

Old 02-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #11
TP Alexander
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPo View Post
Hmmm, not sure who started this bollox that lower numbered discs are more valuable??

Been seriously collecting discs for years but the number ranges have never figured in it for me?

Just another way of squeezing even more money from the buyer
Since there are only 900 'three digit' discs in existence, or were in existence, there might be a greater desire to have a lower numbered disc.
There are, conceivably, 9000 'four digit' discs & the same goes for the 5 digit discs.
It's like badge collectors want a Juncker...for it's supposed rarity.
Not arguing with you.
Just wanted to make the point as to why some might prefer the lower numbered discs.
Everybody collects according to what they perceive.
Tim

Old 02-15-2020, 01:20 PM   #12
Don Bible
Lifetime Member

I have collected Gestapo discs for a bit over 30 years and have seen tons of fakes and original discs in all conditions from mint-state to a few burned almost beyond recognition. I have always said that a Gestapo disc has a value of what the owner is willing to take and the buyer willing to pay. Of course that is only my opinion, but when the number of original Gestapo discs still surviving after their last issue more than 80 years ago, is considered...that has to be a factor to any serious collector. Personally I have always been partial to the three and four digit numbers on the early nickel-silver planchet...but a late five digit number on the late magnetic steel planchet is as much a Gestapo disc as the earlier ones...and probably more rare. For the person asking the question here as to present cost..there is presently two very nice original Gestapo discs now listed on OAKLEAF MILITARIA for $10,000. Both are some of the last from my collection and both have an interesting history. One of them has a few items with it, and the other has been in Palestine...then Israel since 1947...until two years ago. To the best of my knowledge, the ONLY Gestapo disc ever known to come out of Israel...and it was not simple to accomplish. To me that history has to have some value to any serious collector-historian. The few known matching sets of Gestapo card and disc (less than seven known to me) have always commanded a price well in excess of $20,000-$25000...or more.