wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Uniforms and Headgear

Imperial Uniforms and Headgear Imperial German Pickelhaubes and Uniforms.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #16
inimicus
Association Member

hey maybe I jumped the gun barry - what would you call it? thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogprince View Post
Yes and no. Some swords/sabers were made so that the hilts/handles could be removed without too much effort, and some were not requiring some serious effort. But none of the period types that I can think of had secondary work done like soldering to disable a screwdriver slot or holes for a spanner wrench so that they could not be used. Regards, FP

Old 02-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #17
inimicus
Association Member

interesting - thanks as always fp.

Quote:
Yes and no. Some swords/sabers were made so that the hilts/handles could be removed without too much effort, and some were not requiring some serious effort. But none of the period types that I can think of had secondary work done like soldering to disable a screwdriver slot or holes for a spanner wrench so that they could not be used. Regards, FP

Old 02-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #18
SCHUPO

I agree with FP and Barry. The sword is a composite. I am very leery of the way the blade is attached as a reworked screw is not indicative of armorer work IMHO. The grinding on the scabbard throat and missing screws are also not typical. Having said that, the scabbard does seem to have come with the sword prior to the name change.

I found that there was a name change in M-S to Land Gendarmerie in 1881 so that would explain the "L.G." overstamp of the "M.S.G." property markings. They also used the "Griffin" pommel sword for Military and Gendarmerie units. I think this is a Police sword but I also think it has been extensively reworked and the time period of that work is still open to question.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #19
inimicus
Association Member

much obliged, joe. by the way 'seitengrwehr' author geo. wheeler in a 2008 thread on sword forum intnl. shows 'L.G.' stamped langets on 3 P-guard hilts - none however having unit designations after the L.G.

I still can't find another straight-blade eagle-head (or curved blade or that matter!). but in hand, this piece seems 'right' and all of a piece despite the anomalies, i.e. retro-fits if any look to have been performed loing ago.

it's the 'why' of such changes which, as inspector poiroit might say, 'agitates the little gray cells most adequately."

hey I forgot to show the remains of the portepee that came with this. any clues here? to me looks standard WWI type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7242.JPG (162.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7241.JPG (179.0 KB, 40 views)

Old 02-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #20
SCHUPO

Yep... the sword knot is a clue. It is the standardized Offizier Portepee for Police Officers. These were also worn by Colonial Officers and Polizeitruppe Officers during Imperial times. The knot makes sense for a M-S Polizei (Gendarmerie) sword.

I will also mention that a gold colored Beamte knot was also authorized for the M-
S Land Gendarmerie during this time period.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #21
inimicus
Association Member

more exceptional dot-connectiong data, thanks again schupo et al

Old 02-16-2018, 01:12 PM   #22
Frogprince

While this could be a time sensitive matter, at least one Imperial era catalog has the Fuss-Gendarmerie carrying the Infantrie-Offiziersäbel (IOD89), and the mounted Gendarmerie either the M52/79 for officers or the Lionhead "P" guard type sabers. FP

Old 02-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #23
inimicus
Association Member

thank you again, good FP

Quote:
While this could be a time sensitive matter, at least one Imperial era catalog has the Fuss-Gendarmerie carrying the Infantrie-Offiziersäbel (IOD89), and the mounted Gendarmerie either the M52/79 for officers or the Lionhead "P" guard type sabers. FP