wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Uniforms and Headgear

Imperial Uniforms and Headgear Imperial German Pickelhaubes and Uniforms.

Does anyone know what kind of tunic this is?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #1
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

Default Does anyone know what kind of tunic this is?

Hi Guys,

Any idea?

Cheers, W
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (45.7 KB, 130 views)

Old 02-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
Alan Wilson
Association Member

Tom, perhaps Landwehr Kavallerie?
Mike

Old 02-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
Tom, perhaps Landwehr Kavallerie?
Mike
The Polish cuffs seem to point in that direction. However the tunic seems to be black instead of (dark) blue and the cuff are not red/pink which is the kind of Landwehr Kavallerie tunic I am familiar with. So I am not sure what it is.

Does anyone know of a book in which Landwehr tunics of Imperial Germany are depicted?

Old 02-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
phild

To me the tunic looks dark green. The piped cuffs as opposed to faced cuffs also seem odd to me, but I donít know all of the changes that these may have gone through. I would think that the tunic may date from the 1880s or perhaps 1890s. Buttons look older than what I would normally see on early 20th century

Old 02-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
To me the tunic looks dark green.
Yes I can see why you would think that - so it may be dark green instead of black.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #6
phild

Now Iím coming around to it being black! I think that I could tell more form black and white small photos in Shotgun News 45 years ago than I can from these Uber modern high tech digital deals!

Bottom line is if it black, I have no clue as to what it is, including if it is even German and or strictly military.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:22 AM   #7
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
Now I’m coming around to it being black! I think that I could tell more form black and white small photos in Shotgun News 45 years ago than I can from these Uber modern high tech digital deals!

Bottom line is if it black, I have no clue as to what it is, including if it is even German and or strictly military.
Would you know what if was, if it is dark green?

In any case I would be surprised if it was anything else than Prussian and it looks pretty military to me or something pretty closely related - I do not think this is the hotel door, bell hop sort of thing.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
SCHUPO

If the tunic is dark green it is probably a Polizei or Gendarmerie tunic. Several states wore similar dark green tunics with this cuff arrangement.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #9
phild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHUPO View Post
If the tunic is dark green it is probably a Polizei or Gendarmerie tunic. Several states wore similar dark green tunics with this cuff arrangement.
Yes, I agree with you. I would also look more into the Landwehr Kav suggestion offered earlier. I owned a very similar one almost 40 years ago that I found in Germany, but mine had collar and cuffs in that carmine as a facing color. Mine also had very old and very plain litzen on the collar and maybe cuffs, I donít fully recall the latter. Also had large flat gilt buttons much like this one.

My references on gendarme field formations is sparse in terms of details. Most reference is for lighter or medium blue facings with the dark green tunics.