wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Firearms Forum

Firearms Forum Focused on the guns of the Third Reich, but posts on firearms from other WW II countries are also welcomed.

Walther PP w/ RFV markings
Old 02-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
Stepdale
Association Member

Default Walther PP w/ RFV markings

Hello,
I picked up this PP from the brother of a US veteran many years ago and have never shown it to anyone. From what I have found in a quick search on the forum, I believe it to be produced about 1936 and used by finance ministry customs and/or border guard agents. It came with a magazine that has a non-matching serial number. I'm not sure if the holster is the original one cut down by the veteran or what, but it came with it so they will remain together.

Since I primarily collect only military items, I plan to trade it to a friend for a byf44 P38. I haven't seen it yet, but I believe it is all matching and in at least as good condition as the PP. I will try to post photos of the P38 before making the trade, but just wanted to ask if you thought this was a fair trade for both parties involved. I believe I may be getting a better deal than my friend as P38s generally cost more than PPs, but I really have no clue as to values of RVF marked PPs.
Thank you,
Dale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06183.JPG (219.2 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06185.JPG (206.4 KB, 446 views)

Old 02-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #2
Stepdale
Association Member

a
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06186.JPG (214.1 KB, 452 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06187.JPG (221.4 KB, 452 views)

Old 02-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
Stepdale
Association Member

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06188.JPG (167.8 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06189.JPG (105.3 KB, 452 views)

Old 02-26-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
Stepdale
Association Member

c
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06190.JPG (234.0 KB, 452 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06191.JPG (209.5 KB, 455 views)

Old 02-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
Stepdale
Association Member

last photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06192.JPG (176.6 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06193.JPG (203.1 KB, 448 views)

Old 02-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
ErichS

Well, your PP looks like it has had a hard life and most likely was stored in its holster. That said I don't think that it's worth more than 500.00-600.00 due to its rough condition. JMO.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #7
Stepdale
Association Member

Thanks, I figured the condition wasn't going to help it, but my friend is a retired police officer and more interested in it as a shooter than for display. Once I see the P38 he has, I'll probably offer to add some cash or other items to the deal to be sure we work it out evenly.
Dale

Old 02-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
Luis22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepdale View Post
Thanks, I figured the condition wasn't going to help it, but my friend is a retired police officer and more interested in it as a shooter than for display. Once I see the P38 he has, I'll probably offer to add some cash or other items to the deal to be sure we work it out evenly.
Dale
Well actual price of P38 is around $600 for a shooter so you may not need to add any $$

Old 02-27-2015, 05:23 PM   #9
Stepdale
Association Member

Thanks, will try to post pictures of the P38 when I see it just to be sure. I always like for both parties to be happy in a trade.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:52 AM   #10
the_stig

I have an RFV PP that's only a few hundred rack numbers away from yours. The finish on mine is also heavily worn. Little doubt both our pistols saw 10 years of hard service before being captured. I'm no expert but would speculate they were handled much more than say a private purchase carried by an officer.

Just my opinion, but I'd keep the RFV PP versus trading it off for just another P38. Weapons marked to the Reichsfinanzverwaltung are highly saught after by collectors and have some very rich history behind them.

The Reichsfinanzverwaltung were stationed at every road and waterway entering Germany and were subsequently rolled in with the SS Police and other military units as the borders began to collapse, so it's quite possible your pistol was captured during actual combat operations. That should satisfy your military collecting.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #11
Johnny Peppers

An RFV pistol might have been worn a lot, but it is hard to imagine it seeing hard service in the Finance Administration, especially to the point of letting it rust and pit.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
the_stig

Being worn and handled often accelerates wear. Doesn't take combat conditions for that. Yes most rust and pitting happens post war due to incorrect storage.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #13
ErichS

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig View Post
Being worn and handled often accelerates wear. Doesn't take combat conditions for that. Yes most rust and pitting happens post war due to incorrect storage.
Like in a holster.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #14
buckle1

I agree that this pistol is a lot more scarce and desirable than a run of the mill P.38 or for that matter a P.38 in very nice condition,. I own one which is a much later production being in the P series and having a much higher RFV number. It is not mint but not in much better shape than the one shown here. Yours is very early w/the 90 degree safety. If you can believe what Rankin says and I have no reason to doubt him, these pistols were used extensively and not well cared for and hence are usually found in rather worn condition. With that said they are still tough pistols to find and I would certainly not trade one for a P. 38. If you need to get rid of it as it is not of interest to you put it up for sale on some of the firearms sites and sell it there. Just MO .

Bill

Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #15
Stepdale
Association Member

Thanks guys, I'll wait to see the P38 before I decide. I'm not really a firearms collector as I moved so often in the Army and was overseas so much it was just to painful to store and move them around. I know you're correct about the history behind this one but I'd rather have a P38 and I know this will go to a friend who will admire it and take care of it much more than I will.
Dale