wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975.

Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975. Covering, French Indo China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

german parachute....in Indochina
Old 11-01-2003, 05:23 PM   #1
H BABERT

Default german parachute....in Indochina

Hi all,
i think it's interesting to show picture of German RZ 20 (i think) in Indochina war. So that's why we can found german pachute with French marking...
Herlé

Old 11-01-2003, 05:26 PM   #2
H BABERT

Problem with pic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paracamo1.jpg (22.7 KB, 1070 views)

Old 11-01-2003, 05:28 PM   #3
H BABERT

another one...
Herlé
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paracamo2.jpg (55.4 KB, 1072 views)

Old 11-02-2003, 04:12 AM   #4
Jean-Loup

The french used quite a bit of german stuff in indochina, including SS soldiers recruited in the Foreign Legion. I have seen french shelter quarters made from SS camo material.
JL

What % of WSS made up the Foreign legion
Old 11-07-2003, 10:15 PM   #5
TWP
Expelled

Default What % of WSS made up the Foreign legion

Hello, I dont
> know much about the French Foregin Legion. My
> interest is begining these days.
> I saw your photo of the soldiers. What camo uniforms
> did the Legion soldiers wear? Or did they just wear
> Khaki?
> Also, I have heard that although in 1950 or so
> Germans made up about 60% of the Legion, but that most were
> young and not veterans of WW2. How many Waffen SS
> men or whermacht men do you think made up the Legion during the heyday of Germans in it?
> I have heard about Devils Guard by Georg Robert
> Elford. I am thinking about buying this book but it
> is expensive. Do you think it is worth getting it or
> it is not because it is innacurate or is it true?
Thanks
TW

Old 11-08-2003, 04:09 AM   #6
Patrick Dempsey

Hello TWP,
just to answer your question regarding legion Camo uniforms..the uniforms worn during the Indochina conflict were very varied and included designs from many nations.
In the 1940's French troops were being equipped witha bewildering array of French, British, and US khaki drill clothing as well as large amounts of British and Indian "Jungle Green" drill uniforms.this seems to have been worn in a totally random manner, judging from period photo's.

By the late 1940's the French had introduced in quantity their new standard lightweight combat fatigues, called "trellis de combat Mle 1947" this was an olive drab colour jacket and trousers set (which i have a set of if you would like some pics?)
Moving on to camo...once again the French were using anything that they could get their hands on initially.

This included the US M1942, M1943 and M1944 two piece herringbone twill camo fatigues in Army and Marine corps versions.

The British "1942 Windproof" smock and trousers were used and were very popular due to it's lightweight, cooling, fabric. These were given the designation "Survetement 42", or more unofficially amongst the troops the more affectionate "Sausage skins"
The above items were generally worn together in a mix-and match style.

Finally (for Para's) a jump uniform of smock and trousers was introduced. Initially found in a green/drab colour, a camo version was then introduced. These were know as "tenue de saut Mle.47/51"
Further revisions of the jump uniform worn in Indochina were know as Mle.47/52 and Mle.47/53.
And then of course i have not touched on field made garments..period photo's do show that German "Splinter" pattern camo was used to make both headgear-berets and fieldcaps- and trousers. A photo also exists of a soldier wearing a fieldmade jacket made from SS camo, although this would seem to be a VERY rare occurence indeed. If i can get my scanner to work again i'll add the photo's to the thread.
Two cheap and informative books on the uniforms and outline of the war are published by "Osprey" and are;
"Men-at-arms series 322 The French Indochina war"
"Elite series 6 French foreign legion paratroops".

Hope this helps a little,

all the best,
patrick.

PS. just noticed that the Para on the extreme right of the second photo seem to be wearing a full set of British windproofs.

Old 11-08-2003, 07:49 AM   #7
TWP
Expelled

Patrick, thanks for that very detailed info!
You said "A photo also exists of a soldier wearing a fieldmade jacket made from SS camo". I wonder if such SS made uniforms are now for sale as WW2 German items!?
Yes, I would love to see more scans of your uniforms. It has been a very educational reply indeed.
Thanks
TW

Old 11-09-2003, 06:04 AM   #8
H BABERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP
Patrick, thanks for that very detailed info!
You said "A photo also exists of a soldier wearing a fieldmade jacket made from SS camo". I wonder if such SS made uniforms are now for sale as WW2 German items!?
Yes, I would love to see more scans of your uniforms. It has been a very educational reply indeed.
Thanks
TW
Hello all,
good article about local use of German and US camo in indochina in Militaria Magazine N°213 and 217.
Very good Patrick!
I think it is not the right Forum to speak about these uniform, maybe we can move to "Ken jasper" forum to speak about these?
Herlé

Old 11-09-2003, 07:55 AM   #9
Patrick Dempsey

Hi everyone,
i've just been thinking what Herlé has suggested regarding moving the thread to the "Ken Jasper" forum is a sound move, as i think we are about to veer off into non- FJ related topics...shall i start a new thread there, or can we have this one moved over?

All the best,

Patrick.

Old 11-09-2003, 12:55 PM   #10
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator

As this thead has been moving away from a pure FJ topic, and some have suggested it, I have moved this thread into the here.

Willi

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

On a journey returning to my Nüchternheit roots.

Old 11-10-2003, 11:51 AM   #11
Patrick Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP

TW

Here we are in our new home (thankyou to the moderators)
as promised, here is a scan of a French soldier in Indochina wearing a tunic made from SS camo. This image comes from "Militaria" magazine. This particular garment would not pass as a WW2 German item as the cut and construction is distinctly non-German....more to follow.

Patrick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss jacket indo.JPG (17.5 KB, 770 views)

Last edited by Patrick Dempsey; 11-10-2003 at 12:03 PM.

Old 11-10-2003, 11:53 AM   #12
Patrick Dempsey

And here is a tunic VERY similar in a collection, displayed with French issue trousers and a map case that looks like it's WW2 German. Note that the buttons appear to be virtually the same as does the general cut of the item.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss indo collector.JPG (41.1 KB, 772 views)

Old 11-10-2003, 12:01 PM   #13
Patrick Dempsey

Next we have a shot reputedly from the fateful battle at Dien Bien Phu. This shows a pair of fieldmade trousers tailored from german "Splinter" pattern camo.
I've often wondered about pairs of fieldmade trousers that occasionally turn up on the collectors market...they have age and wear but which conflict might they belong to....?
As long as they are constructed without pockets on the sides (a popular trait with french uniforms) how would you really know other than a "Gut" instinct?
Note also the US camo jacket on the man in front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg splinter1.JPG (71.3 KB, 766 views)

Old 11-10-2003, 12:09 PM   #14
Patrick Dempsey

And another "Splinter" related photo.
This photo was taken in Laos, and shows German Zelts in use. I have a French camo "Zeltbahn" dated 1953 (if i remember correctly), but it would seem that this item didn't get issued in Indochina hence the use of other stocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zelts.JPG (59.3 KB, 755 views)

Old 11-10-2003, 12:14 PM   #15
Patrick Dempsey

Moving onto more normal use of camo, here is a very famous photo indeed.
This shows two sets of British "Sausage skins" and on the far right a complete set of Mle.47/52 French camo jump smock and trousers (A very rare and desirable set indeed!).