wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Deutsche Demokratische Republik All things related to the German Democratic Republic 1949-1989

kind of Capcord of DDR HATS
Old 06-27-2005, 06:05 AM   #1
gmg

Default kind of Capcord of DDR HATS

I 'm looking for a list of capcord of the nva and ddr hats ...
i know that officers of DDR have silver cap cord and general gold...but...this is my list

NVA ARMY ( army, air force, grenztruppen)

EM ---> plastic / leather cap cord
NCO --> plastic / leather cap cord
Officers --> Silver cap cord
General --> Golden cap cord

Volksmarine

EM ---> leather cap cord
NCO --> leather cap cord
Officers --> leather cap cord

Volkspolizei

EM --> plastic /leather cap cord (???)
NCO --> Green cap cord

Transportpolizei

NCO --> blue cap cord

Freiwilligen Feuerwehren

NCO --> BLACK cap cord (???)*

Berufsfeuerwehren

NCO --> BLACK cap cord*

* I HAVE SEEN SOME WITH A BLUE CORD ON EBAY...

Strafvollzug

EM --> plastic cap cord (???)
NCO --> GRAY cap cord

Zollwerwaltung

EM --> plastic /leather cap cord
NCO --> GREEN cap cord

Wasserwirtschaft

EM --> GRAY cap cord (???)
NCO --> GRAY cap cord

Deutsches Rotes Kreuz

EM / NCO --> plastic /leather cap cord

The line on pink are the cap cord that i' m not sure...(for vopo and trapo...i don't know if all use green or blue cap cord for EM and NCO...or....??)

if some one cold confirm the pink line...or corret all i'm happy...
tks a lot

Last edited by gmg; 06-27-2005 at 06:29 AM.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
SCHUPO

gmg,

West German Feuerwehr caps will be found with mixed aluminum/karmesin color cap cords. I have not seen DDR FW caps with this combination, although it was worn by the pre-war FFW throughout Germany, so it is possible I suppose. Mixed aluminum/grün color cap cords were worn by West German Police. DDR Polizei wore all aluminum or all green (black or blue or grey) color cap cords to my knowledge (gold color for General officers of course). Trapo NCOs were all blue and FW was all black as you indicate. Depending upon the time frame, black plastic/leather chin straps were worn by all branches of the police. I have a 1958 Taschenkalender that shows the black plastic strap as regulation for Mannschaften from VP-Anwarter through VP-Wachtmeister. During this time period, the all green (black or blue or grey) color cap cords were worn by Unterführer. This was the regulation for Volkspolizei, Strafvollzug, Bereitschaftspolizei, Transportpolizei, Feuerwehr, and Grenzpolizei.

I hope this helps.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
gmg

so if i understan al EM of Volkspolizei, Strafvollzug, Bereitschaftspolizei, Transportpolizei, Feuerwehr, and Grenzpolizei had a plastic/leather cap cord...and the NCO had a cap cord green blue ...black etc...only army have plastic/leather cap cord for NCO..but hat for EM of "police force" is on wool or on gabardine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHUPO
gmg,

West German Feuerwehr caps will be found with mixed aluminum/karmesin color cap cords. I have not seen DDR FW caps with this combination, although it was worn by the pre-war FFW throughout Germany, so it is possible I suppose. Mixed aluminum/grün color cap cords were worn by West German Police. DDR Polizei wore all aluminum or all green (black or blue or grey) color cap cords to my knowledge (gold color for General officers of course). Trapo NCOs were all blue and FW was all black as you indicate. Depending upon the time frame, black plastic/leather chin straps were worn by all branches of the police. I have a 1958 Taschenkalender that shows the black plastic strap as regulation for Mannschaften from VP-Anwarter through VP-Wachtmeister. During this time period, the all green (black or blue or grey) color cap cords were worn by Unterführer. This was the regulation for Volkspolizei, Strafvollzug, Bereitschaftspolizei, Transportpolizei, Feuerwehr, and Grenzpolizei.

I hope this helps.

Old 06-27-2005, 11:08 AM   #4
SCHUPO

gmg,

Your understanding is generally correct, depending upon the time frame you are talking about. Regulations and styles changed over time. It is also generally true that enlisted caps are made of "wooly" Woolstoff material while professional NCO and officer caps are of (gabardine) whipcord Kammgarn material (like the uniforms themselves). There are exceptions, mostly depending upon the date the cap was manufactured and worn! It is a general rule of thumb, not written in stone.

Old 06-27-2005, 11:48 AM   #5
Bone Collector

I have a question about the kordel on the feuerwehr visors (NCO). Shouldn't the kordel be violet instead of black? The waffenfarbe and piping is so why not the kordel? Not even the uniform is black, its very dark blue so why the black kordel?

Old 06-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
SCHUPO

Bone Collector,

Good question. But you will have to ask the Ministry of the Interior for the reason... and they are closed. Seriously, I don't know the answer but black seems to be the proper color. I have seen DDR FW cap cords that are dark blue but I am uncertain if they are actually Feuerwehr or Transportpolizei cords that are improperly on the FW Schirmmütze. I suspect that dark blue cords may have also been worn by the FFW but I have no proof of that educated guess. The stated regulation color for the Biesen- und Effektenfarbe (i.e. MdI Waffenfarbe) for the Feuerwehr is malino as you indicate. Logic seems to dictate that the cord color should be malino since the other caps have cords the same color as their piping, but this is not the case. There are no malino cap cords and period illustrations clearly show black or dark blue cap cords (it is hard to tell). You will only find MdI cap cords in green, black, blue, grey, aluminum, and gold colors for organs of the MdI. You will also find some other odd color cords for things such as Railway peaked caps if I am not mistaken.

Old 06-27-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

Hello all...I can not assist in the thread, but I find it quite interesting as I am reading the responses...and helping my brain bucket...thanks.

Old 06-30-2005, 03:25 PM   #8
gmg

i' looking for a black cap cord for a Feuerwehr nco Hat some one can help me?

Old 06-30-2005, 03:28 PM   #9
torstenbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmg
i' looking for a black cap cord for a Feuerwehr nco Hat some one can help me?
sorry, not at present..I do not have any caps in at the moment... Cheers, Torsten (ebay id german.militaria).