wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Deutsche Demokratische Republik All things related to the German Democratic Republic 1949-1989

View Poll Results: Issued or Unissued?
I prefer issued medals 32 43.84%
I prefer un-issued medals 8 10.96%
I don't mind which 33 45.21%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2007, 03:04 AM   #16
torstenbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossmacht View Post
free ones....
that would not be an option here ..

Old 07-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #17
Rev462

Mike brings up a good point. On one hand, there is the eye appeal of an unworn, completely pristine medal. On the other hand, there is the human connection of a worn, possibly damaged, medal that nevertheless conjures up that old question: "What would this medal say if it could talk?" I think this has very powerful appeal, to know that it was worn be SOMEONE, even though it may not be possible to ever know who it was.

So I guess in general I would prefer worn medals and badges. That's definitely the case with uniforms & headgear for me.

However, as Mike suggested, there are those pieces - like the Bluecher Order or the Scharnhorst - that one would be crazy to turn down just because it was unissued (assuming of course one can afford it). And of course if the price is right I'll buy anything.

But in general, give me a medal that's been worn on a few parades and maybe has some tarnish on it and let me try to imagine what it might say.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
Paul Spain

I don't mind either way but if used I don't want them too bad..My VoPo madeals is nice and I think the silver one was used because it has a kind of borwnish (almost dried blood color but more transparent and thinner) tint in a corner of it and this would not clean off so I do not know how it got there but it don't hurt it none:

Gold seems to never tarnish and when bronze does..Well it's not a pretty site as that tends to turn green quickly like old copper will.

All in all I think unissued is the most valuable but gently used is good so it's nothing to ditch.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
Viktor

Location: Kent Military District ( UK SSR), Workers Paradise.

As long as they are State Property Genossen, I will value recovering it .

Old 01-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #20
Paul Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thälmannpionier View Post
I don`t mind if issued or unissued. For me its more important to have a Urkunde to each Medal,where the Date matches the Timeframe of the Medal.Also if I have a unissued Medal,I try to find a Urkunde for it..and then its a issued one(for me)
Regards
I agree with you there..If issued I can see where the case and Urkunde may be lost over time but if the medal was never worn it would be key to include the case and Urkunde with it.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #21
Mike G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spain View Post
I don't mind either way but if used I don't want them too bad..My VoPo madeals is nice and I think the silver one was used because it has a kind of borwnish (almost dried blood color but more transparent and thinner) tint in a corner of it and this would not clean off so I do not know how it got there but it don't hurt it none:
Gold seems to never tarnish and when bronze does..Well it's not a pretty site as that tends to turn green quickly like old copper will.
All in all I think unissued is the most valuable but gently used is good so it's nothing to ditch.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Medals that have "Patina" on them, in particular the older ones, should never, never, never be polished. Doing this will devalue the medal; and also quite honestly, doing this adversely impacts their intrinsic appeal.

M60-A2 Tank Commander Cold War proverb: “You can accomplish more with a kind word and a ‘Shillelagh’ than you can with just a kind word.”

Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #22
Mike G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spain View Post
I agree with you there..If issued I can see where the case and Urkunde may be lost over time but if the medal was never worn it would be key to include the case and Urkunde with it.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Not to be nit-picky here; but I fail to grasp the meaning of the phrase "if the medal was never worn it would be "key" to include the case and Urkunde."

Why?

Many of the medals issued in the late 80s did not even come "Cased". They were presented in little plastic boxes with sponge like material in them. No case.

Unissued medals did not have an Urkunde.
A collector might want to acquire "Blank" Urkunde examples for each of the medals being collected, but given the Urkunde is "Blank", I fail to grasp how this is then essential and as you state, a "Key" element to the collecting of medals.

Finally, for some medals, the Urkunde does not exist. Does that lesson the value or collectability of the medal? If as you say, having the Urkunde to an "Unissued" medal is "Key", that phrase would infer collectors who have examples of the Bluecher Order and Bluecher Medallion in their collection, somehow have an incomplete collection.

So, again, I don't grasp your meaning of the phrase "Having the Urkunde to a medal is "Key" to collecting "Unissued" medals? Your statement is completely lost on me.

Paul, for clarification purposes, could you further expound on this?

M60-A2 Tank Commander Cold War proverb: “You can accomplish more with a kind word and a ‘Shillelagh’ than you can with just a kind word.”

Old 02-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #23
Paul Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D. Gallagher View Post
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Not to be nit-picky here; but I fail to grasp the meaning of the phrase "if the medal was never worn it would be "key" to include the case and Urkunde."

Why?

Many of the medals issued in the late 80s did not even come "Cased". They were presented in little plastic boxes with sponge like material in them. No case.

Unissued medals did not have an Urkunde.
A collector might want to acquire "Blank" Urkunde examples for each of the medals being collected, but given the Urkunde is "Blank", I fail to grasp how this is then essential and as you state, a "Key" element to the collecting of medals.

Finally, for some medals, the Urkunde does not exist. Does that lesson the value or collectability of the medal? If as you say, having the Urkunde to an "Unissued" medal is "Key", that phrase would infer collectors who have examples of the Bluecher Order and Bluecher Medallion in their collection, somehow have an incomplete collection.

So, again, I don't grasp your meaning of the phrase "Having the Urkunde to a medal is "Key" to collecting "Unissued" medals? Your statement is completely lost on me.

Paul, for clarification purposes, could you further expound on this?

I was thinking they all would have had a Urkunde. So they didn't always make one of these for a medal then? The more I learn abot DDR the more it is so strange , Seems they cut corners when ever possible to save $$$ on their items yet at the same time still keeping good quality.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #24
Mike G.

Paul,

For clarification:

In the case of the Bluecher Order and Bluecher Medallion, the two medals were never issued. Consequently, there was no Urkunde.

With respect to the other awards and decorations that were produced, the only conceivable way I can envision an Urkunde being "Key" to the collecting of any given medal, would be in instances where the medal itself is being claimed to having belonged to an East German of prominence. Having the actual signed Urkunde that was given with the medal would then have relevance and significance. And if the medal were one of the early or rare types that was serial numbered, and the Urkunde also matched by serial number, that would definitely qualify as "Key".

Old 02-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #25
tony james

hey mike
i have the latest feder book which covers the bluecher medals.the book shows urkundes for the 1968 production medals and 1984 which are slightly different .whether they made them in large amounts or limited prototypes i have'nt read yet. if i could have just one east german urkunde it would be a bluecher.

Tony

Old 02-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #26
Mike G.

Tony,

Awesome. Initially there was speculation about whether they existed and if they did, what they looked like? Then, after time, it was believed by most that Urkundes for the Bluecher Order and Medallion did not exist. They did not appear in the video depicting the discovery of this unique award and decoration, and were never referenced nor displayed at the Dresden Museum. I would very much like to know what they look like.

Any chance you could post examples? Also, could you post a pick of the new Feder Book? I was not aware there was a new one. Looks like I need to add a new book to my library.

Thank you for posting this new information.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Paul Spain,

I wish to make a public apology to you pursuant my response wherein I incorrectly informed you there were some medals that did not have an Urkunde. When I responded to your post, the Bluecher Order and Medallion immediately came to mind. I happen to have silver examples of both, but no Urkundes.
Per Tony's post above, my response was clearly incorrect.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #27
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

Hello all - I have revived this thread when I was searching some other threads. It will be interesting what some of our new members of the DDR say.
Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group