wehrmacht awards

Old 05-24-2019, 01:25 AM   #151
Jack Dutton-Roberts

Itís lovely smock and as a collector Iím very envious

However, I bought a number of items belonging to Browning from the recent Du Maurier auction. The items I bought all have impeccable provenance including letters and documents written by Browning or Du Maurier. Whilst I donít doubt your story and provenance on this smock, let me play Devilís advocate and ask do you have anything else to prove the origin of this piece other than a story?

Regards
Jack

Old 05-24-2019, 01:31 AM   #152
Jack Dutton-Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammo man View Post

This last pic from my report shows the difference in pocket design
Upper chest pockets on the issue and the Windpak
Crude v custom
Itís worth noting the issue is also single needle made to a High standard but sewn at a faster mass produced pace.
The Windpak is Austin Martin DB5
The issue is a mini painted in brown

End of my report

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Itís Aston, not Austin
Austin made cars in Britain but they certainly were not built like Aston Martin!

Old 05-24-2019, 10:31 AM   #153
kammo man

Jack
A letter from the Special Forces officer who directly bought from the widow.
O

Old 05-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #154
Jack Dutton-Roberts

Quote:
Jack
A letter from the Special Forces officer who directly bought from the widow.
O

For me as a serious collector, it wouldnít be enough and Iíd class that letter as a secondary source. Itís not insult yourself, or the smock which is fantastic on itís own or indeed your story.

I spent the most amount of money on one lot of items Iíve ever spent in that auction. I did so because the items came with letters and documents from Browning and Du Maurier themselves, as well as other items proving their use and history. All Iím saying is to me (and Iím sure others) itís a very good Windak smock with story attached and wouldnít become Browningís Smock without photographic or primary source proof.

Hope you donít think Iím being a C!#T because itís not my intention. I have items where Iím 100% sure if who they belonged to but if someone asked me to prove it in Court, I couldnít

Jack

Old 05-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #155
kammo man

Jack ,

PM me your phone number and I will tell you what the Officer told me.

I would say a n officer who bought it from the wife at her home in 1984 is pretty tight.
Regardless as you say its probably one of the rarest pieces of British camouflage historical garments there is.

PM me old chap.

owen

Old 05-25-2019, 04:26 PM   #156
Beau Brummel.

This is a wonderful example Owen and I’m really glad to see it here, thank you. As far as the provenance go’s and having spoken to you about it it seems fairly watertight. However, as Jack says, without a Browning or De Maurier link it’s slightly moot. That said, I can’t really see a 10th chap making up the story because he’d have struggled to find one of these to bull**** about, plus why would he, the Tolz boys were the originals.

As far as the painting go’s, well I don’t think it’s artistic licence but actually correct. It seems the smock (at least one) that browning wore was indeed configured like that.

I’ve told this story before but many years ago a collector approached me at a show claiming to have Brownings smock. I was slightly off hand and told him that said smock (the one in the painting) was in Aldershot. He eventually agreed with me but swore he had an identical one. The next day he turned up wearing it. It was a Windak with internal top slash pockets as per your picture, lower patch pockets, a concealed hood, arse map pocket and waist draw string. Quite simply amazing and just like (or what we can see) the painting. As you hypothesise there were a lot of different versions of these jackets and it makes sense that the high up’s would be sent various samples for their approval.

Whatever the case your example here is absolutely marvellous and I thank you again for sharing it with us.

Last edited by Beau Brummel.; 05-25-2019 at 04:34 PM.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:09 PM   #157
kammo man

Guy
I was actually talking about the paintings color scheme sorry if I didnít make that clear.
Owen

Old 05-27-2019, 05:16 AM   #158
Beau Brummel.

Ah right, sorry, my misunderstanding.

Well, there are are at least two Windaks out there that share traits with the Fallschirmjager smock. It Is the type being worn by Browning in the picture Steve posted In post 107. If you look in the stomach region you can see the eyelets for the drawstring I spoke of. The one I handled also had a concealed hood and rear external map pocket.

The colour scheme in the painting is a bit odd, It looks as though he may have had a similar smock in green without the lined collar. Smacks of possibly being a civilian piece, or, and I'm right out on a limb here, It's not an early green Fallschirmjager smock thats been modified Is It? Steve and co would probably be able to judge with some accuracy.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #159
kammo man

Or ....
Itís a Windak HARRINGTON style from their civilian outdoor clothing line and that I am barking up a wrong tree including it.
I wonder if there are actual photos taken from the paintings sitting ?

On a side note who has access to the AM contact numbers as on my example they are clearly visible but on others I have noticed they are illegible?
That would be a nice rabbit hole to get into.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #160
kammo man

Hereís a new one to me

Old 06-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #161
Bond

Quote:

Hereís a new one to me

Great pic, also new to me, beside the windak interesting to see monty with a parachute scarf.