wehrmacht awards

Unknown tombak minesweeper
Old 05-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
beef_supreme
Member
 
beef_supreme's Avatar
 
beef_supreme is offline
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: DE
Posts: 141
Default Unknown tombak minesweeper

Hello.
Can you help me to identify the maker of this minesweeper badge?
Thank you and best regards

Gesendet von meinem SM-G903F mit Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #2
Norm F
Moderator
 
Norm F's Avatar
 
Norm F is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,539
Default

Hi beef_supreme,

That’s a nice Petz & Lorenz, Unterreichenbach.

Best regards,
—-Norm
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
beef_supreme
Member
 
beef_supreme's Avatar
 
beef_supreme is offline
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: DE
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm F View Post
Hi beef_supreme,



That’s a nice Petz & Lorenz, Unterreichenbach.



Best regards,

—-Norm
Perfect. Thank you

Gesendet von meinem SM-G903F mit Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
beef_supreme
Member
 
beef_supreme's Avatar
 
beef_supreme is offline
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: DE
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm F View Post
Hi beef_supreme,



That’s a nice Petz & Lorenz, Unterreichenbach.



Best regards,

—-Norm
Is this a brockage piece, or why is there a pattern of the frontside die on the backside?
Best regards

Gesendet von meinem SM-G903F mit Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
Norm F
Moderator
 
Norm F's Avatar
 
Norm F is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef_supreme View Post
Is this a brockage piece, or why is there a pattern of the frontside die on the backside?
Best regards

Gesendet von meinem SM-G903F mit Tapatalk
That's a good question. You can see the mirror image of the right margin of the internal cutouts scratched into the wreath on the left. But you also see the mirror image of the obverse wave pattern and water plume grooves pressed into the reverse.

I don't know how exactly this can happen, but my best guess is an error during the trimming phase since the obverse is unaffected. Maybe the stamped planchet was placed reversed in the trimming die at first and it was noticed at the last moment and corrected in time to save the badge? That might explain the partial impression in the reverse. One would have to see the original trimming die to understand clearly but I've yet to see one.

Anyway, it's an interesting production flaw.

Best regards,
---Norm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47f6a45776075d8f179790c53ceddbc3.jpg (239.4 KB, 54 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
upbeek
Association Member
 
upbeek's Avatar
 
upbeek is online now
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bedale England
Posts: 5,637
Default

I agree ,
It’s a great badge with an interesting effect !

Kind regards Chay
__________________
Interested in collecting historical objects in a gentlemanly fashion
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
beef_supreme
Member
 
beef_supreme's Avatar
 
beef_supreme is offline
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: DE
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm F View Post
That's a good question. You can see the mirror image of the right margin of the internal cutouts scratched into the wreath on the left. But you also see the mirror image of the obverse wave pattern and water plume grooves pressed into the reverse.



I don't know how exactly this can happen, but my best guess is an error during the trimming phase since the obverse is unaffected. Maybe the stamped planchet was placed reversed in the trimming die at first and it was noticed at the last moment and corrected in time to save the badge? That might explain the partial impression in the reverse. One would have to see the original trimming die to understand clearly but I've yet to see one.



Anyway, it's an interesting production flaw.



Best regards,

---Norm
This makes sence. Thank you for your help

Gesendet von meinem SM-G903F mit Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com