wehrmacht awards

Cupal Cholm
Old 04-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #1
Giel VW
Moderator and Forum Sponsor
 
Giel VW's Avatar
 
Giel VW is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 13,163
Default Cupal Cholm

Hi guys

I have never owned such a shield until now. This came from an old Belgian collection of which the owner unfortunately passed away recently.

What's the verdict of the cupal Cholm shield?

Giel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zz 645.jpg (78.7 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg zz 651.jpg (56.2 KB, 381 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2017, 01:15 AM   #2
Antonio Scapini
Moderator and Forum Sponsor
 
Antonio Scapini's Avatar
 
Antonio Scapini is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Italy
Posts: 8,880
Default

Some collectors think the so called "type 3" Cholm is questionable due to some raised bumps presents on all them, I personally find it extremely nice and IMO it could be original. CupAl construction and the way it is made are matching with originals.
Anyway I think it would be an endless discussion until some real solid proofs will surface.
__________________

My books:


- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
- THE SS TK RING
- THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
- THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
- THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!


  Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2017, 02:12 AM   #3
Pascal H.
Moderator
 
Pascal H.'s Avatar
 
Pascal H. is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Belgium, Europe Lifetime Member #036
Posts: 5,761
Default

I completely agree with Antonio. I have always regarded these shields as wartime pieces. I've got endless discussions about this piece and until someone can proof me wrong I will regard this shield as original.

However I don't think this shield was intended to be worn. I rather think this was a shield made from the original dies used for example a photograph album or something similar.

Kr
Pascal
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
pantherv
Member
 
pantherv's Avatar
 
pantherv is offline
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 2,363
Default

I've never liked this type but that's just a personal opinion. Always happy to be proved wrong
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2017, 03:19 AM   #5
Giel VW
Moderator and Forum Sponsor
 
Giel VW's Avatar
 
Giel VW is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 13,163
Default

Thanks guys.

Is there any link that can be made towards Deumer, S&L, Rettenmaier? It came from a collection is which 90% of the original pieces were stock items from these companies.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2017, 03:33 AM   #6
Pascal H.
Moderator
 
Pascal H.'s Avatar
 
Pascal H. is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Belgium, Europe Lifetime Member #036
Posts: 5,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giel VW View Post
Thanks guys.

Is there any link that can be made towards Deumer, S&L, Rettenmaier? It came from a collection is which 90% of the original pieces were stock items from these companies.
Not to my knowledge but this could become very interesting.

Kr
Pascal
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2017, 03:28 AM   #7
Giel VW
Moderator and Forum Sponsor
 
Giel VW's Avatar
 
Giel VW is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 13,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal H. View Post
Not to my knowledge but this could become very interesting.

Kr
Pascal
I have no more info unfortunately but it's worth to keep in mind.

Actually I just thought of it, but on the order form of Rettemaier there was a Cholm shield too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PL Rettenmaier 1923-1-1.jpg (154.3 KB, 281 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2017, 03:30 AM   #8
Giel VW
Moderator and Forum Sponsor
 
Giel VW's Avatar
 
Giel VW is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 13,163
Default

Is there any other shield that has similar prongs?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2017, 04:24 AM   #9
Pascal H.
Moderator
 
Pascal H.'s Avatar
 
Pascal H. is offline
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Belgium, Europe Lifetime Member #036
Posts: 5,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giel VW View Post
Is there any other shield that has similar prongs?
Yes, a Demjansk has similar prongs.

Kr
Pascal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DemjanskCP.jpg (99.3 KB, 276 views)
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2017, 04:47 AM   #10
Giel VW
Moderator and Forum Sponsor
 
Giel VW's Avatar
 
Giel VW is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 13,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal H. View Post
Yes, a Demjansk has similar prongs.

Kr
Pascal
And also on the list
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #11
Thomas Durante
Administrator
 
Thomas Durante's Avatar
 
Thomas Durante is online now
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 1/2 way to the Southern tip of Manhattan
Posts: 27,662
Default

Postwar crapola IMO

As to being on the Rettenmaier list, the Kuban, Krim & Narvik are also on the list, and these have never been found with these type of prongs, so I seriously doubt this type of shield was made by Rettenmaier.

Tom
__________________
If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #12
Giel VW
Moderator and Forum Sponsor
 
Giel VW's Avatar
 
Giel VW is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 13,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Durante View Post
Postwar crapola IMO

As to being on the Rettenmaier list, the Kuban, Krim & Narvik are also on the list, and these have never been found with these type of prongs, so I seriously doubt this type of shield was made by Rettenmaier.

Tom
Hi Tom

I'm not talking out of a dealer position here. I found this shield as part from a collection here in Belgium and I know for sure that it was bought long before we started giving value to a Cholm shield! Based on what are you saying this is crapola? I have the shield in hand and all I can say they are exceptionally well build!

What kind of shield would Rettenmaier have sold in your opinion?

I really think that these shields were made by one of these three producers, whether it was wartime or postwar I don't know.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2017, 08:20 AM   #13
Thomas Durante
Administrator
 
Thomas Durante's Avatar
 
Thomas Durante is online now
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 1/2 way to the Southern tip of Manhattan
Posts: 27,662
Default

Hi Giel,

By crapola, I mean postwar.

The surface of the Cholms in particular are really rough, so I don't feel they are as well build as you say. And the prongs just give me the sense of postwar. I don't have evidence to base that on, just a gut feeling, especially compared to the true, proven wartime shields.

The Demjansk on the other hand looks nicer made IMO, but the prongs certainly link the two shields to a common producer.

I think if Rettenmaier made them, we would see more of them around. Rettenmaier IABs, GABs, kriegs badges, etc. are all pretty common and are often in minty condition, meaning that lots survived the war and were taken from store rooms, retail shops, etc. I would tend to think the same would be true of these shields, and some would be found in the hoard finds that have turned up. Also the fact that we should also find some Kuban, Krim and Narviks too because all shields are listed on the Rettenmaier catalog.

There is the possibility that Rettenameir made some of the other, unmarked shields out there that aren't tied to a maker yet. Another possibility is that Rettenmaier bought shields from another maker, and then sold them retail and that is why they are listed.

CCCs are also listed, but I doubt Rettenmaier made CCCs themselves. Rather, I personally suspect that Rettenmaier bought CCCs from Deschler and then sold them retail.

Tom
__________________
If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #14
Gary B
Association Member
 
Gary B's Avatar
 
Gary B is offline
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 7,314
Default

Hi Giel,

Interesting posting.

As has been mentioned previously, these types of Cholm Shields (referred to as the Type 3) have been debated on here for many years in many different threads. Consensus by many (who believe them to be pre May 45 production) was that they were for mounting on photo album covers. To my knowledge only one has been found on Heer cloth backing. I posted that one years ago for a friend. That particular piece came from a well known US dealer. And before anyone says that who it comes from does not prove anything; all I am stating are the facts I have at hand for this particular piece.

Look forward to any info that becomes available on these.

Gary B
__________________
ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #15
Giel VW
Moderator and Forum Sponsor
 
Giel VW's Avatar
 
Giel VW is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 13,163
Default

Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Durante View Post
Hi Giel,

By crapola, I mean postwar.

The surface of the Cholms in particular are really rough, so I don't feel they are as well build as you say. And the prongs just give me the sense of postwar. I don't have evidence to base that on, just a gut feeling, especially compared to the true, proven wartime shields.

There are so many awards with rough surfaces, they are clearly different from iron shields I agree, but this can not be an argument. The eagle's head is hair sharp and might be even better looking than the iron shields

The Demjansk on the other hand looks nicer made IMO, but the prongs certainly link the two shields to a common producer.

This is a tombac shield and can not directly be compared imo, but again I agree it was the same producer.

I think if Rettenmaier made them, we would see more of them around.

There are plenty around

Rettenmaier IABs, GABs, kriegs badges, etc. are all pretty common and are often in minty condition, meaning that lots survived the war and were taken from store rooms, retail shops, etc.

I know from a local source in Schwäbisch-Gmünd that when this village was overrun by the Allies, the complete stock from the company was thrown out of the windows... this is the reason that many of these awards were found in mint condition because people grabbed them from the street. The reason why there are much less Cholm shields than other combat awards is clearly because the demand was extremely small for them

I would tend to think the same would be true of these shields, and some would be found in the hoard finds that have turned up.

I have found 2 Rettenmaier hoard and indeed none of them contained this shield

Also the fact that we should also find some Kuban, Krim and Narviks too because all shields are listed on the Rettenmaier catalog.

There is the possibility that Rettenameir made some of the other, unmarked shields out there that aren't tied to a maker yet. Another possibility is that Rettenmaier bought shields from another maker, and then sold them retail and that is why they are listed.

CCCs are also listed, but I doubt Rettenmaier made CCCs themselves. Rather, I personally suspect that Rettenmaier bought CCCs from Deschler and then sold them retail.

Interesting! Why the Deschler connection?

Tom
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com