wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Militaria Forum

Imperial Militaria Forum The discussion and study of Imperial German awards and of their Central Powers Allies from the First World War

Order of the crown star with ribbon of the red eagle order ?
Old 11-04-2019, 01:02 AM   #1
johnkyens

Question Order of the crown star with ribbon of the red eagle order ?

Hello everyone,I saw an interesting type of the crown order with ribbon of the RAO sold on emedals,it seems rare and lots of copies in the market,does anyone have any information about the award time and background of this type?

Another interesting thing is the star marked JG & S for Godet while the slash badge marked W for Wagner...

https://www.emedals.com/prussia-king...-by-godet-sohn

Old 11-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
bolewts58
Association Member

These Godet combined order grand cross breast stars have always been a minefield. Producing these concoctions was a favorite past-time of Ernst Blass in the 1970s and 80s. Given his strong connection with Klietmann with access to Godet dies, much doubt has been cast of any of these combinations that turn up for sale.

I had a look at it and it is extremely well made, except for the Red Eagle riband which looks like others I've seen on Blass fakes. While I'm not impugning eMedals as I'm sure they sold it in good faith, it's hard to be 100% convinced of its authenticity given the checkered history of these types of breast stars.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #3
VtwinVince
Association Member

What he said, these extremely rare Prussian orders were copied with a high level of skill forty years ago, so without provenance I wouldn't even look at these. I think Graf Klenau was also behind that run of copies.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #4
johnkyens

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolewts58 View Post
These Godet combined order grand cross breast stars have always been a minefield. Producing these concoctions was a favorite past-time of Ernst Blass in the 1970s and 80s. Given his strong connection with Klietmann with access to Godet dies, much doubt has been cast of any of these combinations that turn up for sale.

I had a look at it and it is extremely well made, except for the Red Eagle riband which looks like others I've seen on Blass fakes. While I'm not impugning eMedals as I'm sure they sold it in good faith, it's hard to be 100% convinced of its authenticity given the checkered history of these types of breast stars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtwinVince View Post
What he said, these extremely rare Prussian orders were copied with a high level of skill forty years ago, so without provenance I wouldn't even look at these. I think Graf Klenau was also behind that run of copies.
Thanks friends,this star is really beautiful,but little confusing than other copies for me because I never saw a JGS marked breast star...the centre seems not good,and the swords are made of silver...So what about the slash badge here ? Seems RAO ribbon is the same with the star

Old 11-05-2019, 01:19 AM   #5
bolewts58
Association Member

The fact that the breast star just has a J G & S mark and not the Godet maker disk in the center reverse one normally sees on Godet-made stars also bothers me. Although, that in itself is not enough to condemn the piece.

The nonsense about the swan French import mark makes no sense to me as the very few originals of these were likely only awarded to German royalty and maybe a field marshal. So, why would it have been imported into France?

Also, both the star's gold parts and the sash badge are silver gilt. It's my understanding that originals of these were awarded pre-WWI and in any case most certainly would have been gold, not gilded.

This sash badge has some issues. If you notice the swords are not flush with the central barrel. There are gaps. The Godet shop would never have allowed such sloppy workmanship. To me, this is a huge red flag.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:36 AM   #6
johnkyens

Smile

Quote:
The fact that the breast star just has a J G & S mark and not the Godet maker disk in the center reverse one normally sees on Godet-made stars also bothers me. Although, that in itself is not enough to condemn the piece.

The nonsense about the swan French import mark makes no sense to me as the very few originals of these were likely only awarded to German royalty and maybe a field marshal. So, why would it have been imported into France?

Also, both the star's gold parts and the sash badge are silver gilt. It's my understanding that originals of these were awarded pre-WWI and in any case most certainly would have been gold, not gilded.

This sash badge has some issues. If you notice the swords are not flush with the central barrel. There are gaps. The Godet shop would never have allowed such sloppy workmanship. To me, this is a huge red flag.
Sorry I forgot to attached a link for the sash badge:https://www.emedals.com/europe/germa...nn-wagner-sohn

It has a mark for Wagner,however a scratch W can be always easily made

Old 11-05-2019, 03:53 AM   #7
bolewts58
Association Member

In the link, the sash badge appears to be gold which is promising. Also, the RAO riband is double-sided with chased barrel hinge joints which is also promising.

However, given the rarity, I'm still erring on the side of skeptical.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #8
johnkyens

Quote:
In the link, the sash badge appears to be gold which is promising. Also, the RAO riband is double-sided with chased barrel hinge joints which is also promising.

However, given the rarity, I'm still erring on the side of skeptical.
Thanks for the opinion,in fact there is some badges like this made of gold but were state as copies, I think you are absolutely right we should be careful with these ones.