wehrmacht awards


Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Tony Barto SS Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Tony Barto SS Uniforms and Insignia Forum Dedicated to SS cloth collecting and anything else SS related.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 10-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #16
Graham G
Member
 
Graham G's Avatar
 
Graham G is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ USA / Niederlande
Posts: 1,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_giulio View Post
Mine. Modified but same very rare pattern
So that's where that one ended up. Fantastic smock, and incredibly rare
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #17
viva_giulio
Member
 
viva_giulio's Avatar
 
viva_giulio is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: italy
Posts: 3,994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham G View Post
So that's where that one ended up. Fantastic smock, and incredibly rare
I was lucky but I known what it was.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #18
Frostfall
Member
 
Frostfall's Avatar
 
Frostfall is offline
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 59
Default

i know this pattern as "unnumbered plane tree"
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #19
viva_giulio
Member
 
viva_giulio's Avatar
 
viva_giulio is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: italy
Posts: 3,994
Default

Someone call it in numbered other polispot late.
Is a long debate almost useless; on Silvestri book is called polispot late and imo he followed:
1) Development from block to lateral than polispot
2) method of dyes
3) period and model

Without starting a useless debate on the name to give I saw cmon traits with lateral (oblunged segments ) and blocks (group of segments oblunged) of course has also some plane tree traits. With lateral has dark Stains (much more rounded on in mumbered / late ps) and small dots about all in same position and in very less quantity.

Here the Schiffer book "camouflage of the waffen ss" image showings similar traits and dots of "early" and"late" ps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20191003-WA0031.jpg (76.0 KB, 298 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #20
kammo man
Member
 
kammo man is offline
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Losangeles
Posts: 9,327
Default

100% link cousin and a VERY RARE print to find in ANY garment.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2019, 05:05 AM   #21
Fritz
Member
 
Fritz's Avatar
 
Fritz is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: continental europe
Posts: 3,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostfall View Post
i know this pattern as "unnumbered plane tree"
What you are referring to is yet another pattern based on 5/6.

Cheers
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2019, 05:13 AM   #22
Graham G
Member
 
Graham G's Avatar
 
Graham G is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ USA / Niederlande
Posts: 1,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
What you are referring to is yet another pattern based on 5/6.

Cheers
Before this goes down the endless rabbit hole, he means this pattern, not denumbered 5/6 (which normally is only called that). It all depends who you talk to, etc., but in this case, typically:

-Lateral
-Polyspot
-unnumbered (this one)

Late poly/unnumbered/whatever you want to call it
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2019, 05:40 AM   #23
Asper
Association Member
 
Asper's Avatar
 
Asper is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Behind the Lines
Posts: 900
Default

Polyspot is the reference name i've always associated with this print, not often seen.

Nice display G!
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #24
Fritz
Member
 
Fritz's Avatar
 
Fritz is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: continental europe
Posts: 3,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham G View Post
Before this goes down the endless rabbit hole, he means this pattern, not denumbered 5/6 (which normally is only called that). It all depends who you talk to, etc., but in this case, typically:

-Lateral
-Polyspot
-unnumbered (this one)

Late poly/unnumbered/whatever you want to call it


I believe it is crucial to use the proper terms in order to avoid confusion. "Unnumbered" or "no number" planetree is all different and has nothing to do with polyspot (or block or lateral or blurred edge).

Put block in front of lateral and blurred edge right behind polyspot in your list and your list is complete as far as the evolution of that pattern goes. Unnumbered or no number planetree doesn't belong there as it was derived from an actual planetree pattern (5/6).

The main point however is that polyspot is not related to planetree at all. It's a roller printed pattern - unlike planetree (in any case the actual overprint) and it wasn't derived from any planetree print.

Again, this is just to avoid confusion.



Cheers

Fritz
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2019, 01:37 AM   #25
viva_giulio
Member
 
viva_giulio's Avatar
 
viva_giulio is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: italy
Posts: 3,994
Default

This pattern repeats every 75cm
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2019, 05:16 AM   #26
Graham G
Member
 
Graham G's Avatar
 
Graham G is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ USA / Niederlande
Posts: 1,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
I believe it is crucial to use the proper terms in order to avoid confusion. "Unnumbered" or "no number" planetree is all different and has nothing to do with polyspot (or block or lateral or blurred edge).

Put block in front of lateral and blurred edge right behind polyspot in your list and your list is complete as far as the evolution of that pattern goes. Unnumbered or no number planetree doesn't belong there as it was derived from an actual planetree pattern (5/6).

The main point however is that polyspot is not related to planetree at all. It's a roller printed pattern - unlike planetree (in any case the actual overprint) and it wasn't derived from any planetree print.

Again, this is just to avoid confusion.



Cheers

Fritz
The unnumbered I'm referring to is the thread starter here- which is not the same pattern as polyspot. The denumbered 5/6, yes, is simply 5/6 with some changes on blocks and numbers.

Polyspot and the unnumbered that start this thread are both hand screened, not roller printed. As far as the shorter-repeat unnumbered planetrees go, it is

-block
-lateral
-poly
-this late unnumbered (lat/poly mix)

All of which are hand screened

Blurred is an evolution of lateral, but roller printed

Hopefully this clears it up a bit.

Last edited by Graham G; 10-17-2019 at 06:22 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #27
Fritz
Member
 
Fritz's Avatar
 
Fritz is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: continental europe
Posts: 3,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham G View Post
.


All of which are hand screened
I am afraid we will have to disagree.

Cheers
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #28
Fritz
Member
 
Fritz's Avatar
 
Fritz is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: continental europe
Posts: 3,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_giulio View Post
This pattern repeats every 75cm


Yes.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #29
Graham G
Member
 
Graham G's Avatar
 
Graham G is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ USA / Niederlande
Posts: 1,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
I am afraid we will have to disagree.

Cheers
With all due respect, I'm not sure what there is to disagree on?

Here (photo is not mine btw), you can very clearly see the screen repeat and the hand-screened nature of the print. Also, it's worth adding that the pattern is much larger than roller printed ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polyspot zelt.jpg (103.9 KB, 175 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #30
Fritz
Member
 
Fritz's Avatar
 
Fritz is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: continental europe
Posts: 3,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham G View Post
With all due respect, I'm not sure what there is to disagree on?

Here (photo is not mine btw), you can very clearly see the screen repeat and the hand-screened nature of the print. Also, it's worth adding that the pattern is much larger than roller printed ones.


That's the point exactly: with a screen you would have a "cut" in the flow of the pattern once you realign the screen, keep in mind that the prints were rather sloppy. This one doesn't have that "cut" . Neither does block or lateral. Thus and due to the repeat it's roller printed. The first rollers were larger in order to cover the full front or back of a smock without a repeat. The same idea as with zelts and planetree: No visible repeat.

They have dropped that later on as we know.

Cheers
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com