wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Cloth Headgear Forum

Cloth Headgear Forum Covers officer visor, overseas caps, field caps, and any cloth headgear.

M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - Mutzen-Fabrik Dressen, Rheydt (F 42)
Old 10-16-2019, 03:33 AM   #1
PaulW
Association Member

Default M40 Tropical 'DAK' cap for review - Mutzen-Fabrik Dressen, Rheydt (F 42)

Hi, grateful for any feedback on this cap, a size 58 made by Mutzen-Fabrik Dressen, manufactured in the town of Rheydt (near Monchengladbach), and accepted at the Frankfurt Depot in 1942 (F 42).

It seems to exhibit a number of traits normally seen with this maker (zig-zag sewn insignia, the 2 widely spaced stitch lines above the peak, tan rivets, light coloured stitching etc), and is the earlier of the 2 types (either manufactured with or without a soutache, but always with a sweatband and I believe exclusively in 1942), i.e this example manufactured prior to July 1942, with the soutache subsequently removed according to the regulations of that date, either in the supply chain or in the field.

The soutache (was Artillery red) seems to me to have been removed in a non-professional manner, perhaps by a soldier in the field? A tailor might have made a better job of removal? As I understand it the sweatbands were first added at the beginning of 1942, so in theory putting this cap in the first half of 1942 for manufacture/ Depot acceptance.

Another example (formerly LeeG collection, and before that Ralph Heinz collection) of this maker was recently sold on the Virtual Grenadier site:-

https://virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=6045

The manufacturing traits can can be seen across the 2 caps, although the zig-zag insignia stitching is tighter on this example. WAF member Lodsworth's recent (2019) detailed study of M40 tropical caps refers to this among the 10 surviving examples known to him, where he states "their eagles and cockades are applied using wide or narrow machine zigzag-lock stitch" so I am assuming that he has viewed other examples by this maker with a similar narrow zigzag insignia application.

I have asked the seller if there is any known history with the cap and am awaiting a response.

Other than that I would say it has been worn, but have not examined it in hand yet.

Regards, Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maskenbrille-wehrmacht-neuwertig-originalverpackt_2522.jpg (163.4 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg maskenbrille-wehrmacht-neuwertig-originalverpackt_2522_2.jpg (201.9 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg maskenbrille-wehrmacht-neuwertig-originalverpackt_2522_3.jpg (228.6 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg maskenbrille-wehrmacht-neuwertig-originalverpackt_2522_4.jpg (151.4 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg maskenbrille-wehrmacht-neuwertig-originalverpackt_2522_5.jpg (145.7 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg maskenbrille-wehrmacht-neuwertig-originalverpackt_2522_6.jpg (131.3 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg maskenbrille-wehrmacht-neuwertig-originalverpackt_2522_7.jpg (140.9 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg maskenbrille-wehrmacht-neuwertig-originalverpackt_2522_8.jpg (142.7 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg maskenbrille-wehrmacht-neuwertig-originalverpackt_2522_9.jpg (178.0 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg maskenbrille-wehrmacht-neuwertig-originalverpackt_2522_10.jpg (174.9 KB, 261 views)

My collection/ albums:- http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...um.php?u=40842

Last edited by PaulW; 10-16-2019 at 04:26 AM.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:35 AM   #2
PaulW
Association Member

Further pictures from the seller showing the inside of the sweatband.

The centre picture shows what might be the point where the red soutache was removed from between the body of the cap and the bill.

Last edited by PaulW; 10-16-2019 at 03:51 AM.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:47 AM   #3
PaulW
Association Member

These are 3 extra pictures I asked for without the red dot partially obscuring the national emblem. They are a little sharper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dressen extra 1.jpg (95.9 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg Dressen extra 2.jpg (97.0 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191015_222500.jpg (98.6 KB, 255 views)

Old 10-16-2019, 04:08 AM   #4
PaulW
Association Member

As the last three pictures received were more detailed than the others I was able to enlarge them a little for a slightly closer look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dressen extra Close 1.jpg (108.4 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg Dressen extra Close 2.jpg (113.7 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg Dressen extra Close 3.jpg (106.8 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg Dressen extra Close 4.jpg (104.0 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg Dressen extra Close 5.jpg (101.6 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg Dressen extra Close 6.jpg (107.0 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg Dressen extra Close 7.jpg (119.2 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg Dressen extra Close 8.jpg (77.0 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg Dressen extra Close 9.jpg (73.7 KB, 248 views)

Old 10-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #5
B. N. Singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulW View Post
Hi, grateful for any feedback on this...
From those pictures I would be comfortable owning it.

B. N. singer

Old 10-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #6
PaulW
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. N. Singer View Post
From those pictures I would be comfortable owning it.

B. N. singer

Dear Mr Singer, it was very kind of you to have a look, much appreciated.

I must admit I was holding my breath as I opened the thread!

Best regards, Paul

Old 10-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
B. N. Singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulW View Post
Dear Mr Singer,...I was holding my breath as I opened the thread!

Best regards, Paul
Sir happy to oblige with an opinion (which is all I provided); and sorry if I caused any undo heart palpitations.

Although, it might be best to wait for others more knowledgeable on the topic.

Your servant,

B. N. Singer

Old 10-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
NickG
Association Member

The insignia is certainly good. I like it too! You can clearly see that the artillery soutache was removed
albeit the fact that there is no fading difference...So removed to meet regs while in depot storage as an unissued cap?

Old 10-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #9
Richard T
Association Member

I like it

Old 10-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #10
OSS
Association Member

As you mentioned the typical sewing of the insignia for this maker is evidenced by the recent Virtual Grenadier offering. I suppose there was more than one worker applying insignia and that could explain the heavy handed technique on the subject cap. This cap is likely ok but is cruder than most examples I have seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dressen M40 cap 2.jpg (186.9 KB, 225 views)

Old 10-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
OSS
Association Member

Compare to the above image:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dressen extra Close 1.jpg (108.4 KB, 219 views)

Old 10-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #12
billbert
Association Member

I owned one of this maker with dark green soutache years back if memory serves..Billbert

Old 10-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #13
ValhallaMilitaria
Association Member

Nice one-I like it too.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:15 AM   #14
NZMark
Association Member

The person applying the insignia wasn't exactly on the ball that day, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with the cap which has character.
Regards,
Mark
NZ
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=180061

Old 10-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #15
PaulW
Association Member

Hi, sincere thanks to all for the help with this cap, a challenging collecting area IMHO!

Regarding the tight zig-zag sewing of the insignia it's certainly different, something I've noted for instance on some Heer and Luftwaffe tunic eagles but not on caps, perhaps an individual operator preference, as OSS says?

Here are some examples of factory sewn breast eagles (with links to the website) with a similar tighter style of zig-zag sewing (for interest) from the excellent dealer website "Virtual Grenadier". I hope Mr Davis won't mind a little more advertising!

Heer:-

https://virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=4085 - particularly along the top of the eagle.

https://virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=2680

Luftwaffe:-

https://virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=5193

https://virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=1848

Also as OSS and Mark say not the most careful work, as some have said before 'the last one made on a Friday' standard, i.e in a hurry!

I don't have the cap yet and will have to find time to take my own pictures when it arrives. The colour also seems quite tan, yet the weave seems the same as other Dressen's. It will be interesting to look at it in in hand in daylight to get an accurate look at that hue. I had an email from another WAF member and DAK collector who said that there are 2 Dressen caps in the Kurtz Afrika Korps book (I don't have it yet) in the same apparent tan colour so that seems to be something seen before with this maker.

We know there are a number of these (Dressen) caps out there and at least one veteran origin cap (an Italy pick up I think). However, regarding the maker (in the town of Rheydt - now basically a borough of Monchengladbach) I can't find much at all, except that Rheydt was a town famous for the Textile Industry. However Rheydt suffered enormously from Allied bombing and the RAF bombed Rheydt in August 1943 and December 1944. As early as November 1943 the RAF's Arthur "Bomber" Harris declared to Winston Churchill that Rheydt was "virtually destroyed". It seems possible therefore that Dressen might have been one of those smaller companies that was simply wiped from history, leaving little trace, perhaps even before the war ended?

Regarding actual cap history etc the seller (KP Emig Militaria of Germany) said that there is no history other than that it came from an "old collection" i.e out of sight for a long time. I don't doubt that applies to a lot of caps and militaria generally!

Hopefully I'll add my pictures in a week or two.

Thanks again, Paul

Last edited by PaulW; 10-17-2019 at 10:27 AM.