wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Conservation/Safe Keeping Forum

Conservation/Safe Keeping Forum Want that item to last for ever? Well, we can try. Find out how here.

To Re-stitch-or not!
Old 08-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
RJKG

Default To Re-stitch-or not!

I've recently purchased a LW Field Div camouflage smock at an affordable price, but with commensurate extensive fraying around the collar and cuffs, and also extensive deterioration of the internal stitching. This has resulted in lengths of stitching to the internal pockets, and fold back seams, for instance at the front fastening edge, becoming unstitched due to the deterioration of the thread,

The question is whether to professionally re-stitch these areas, obviously replicating the existing stretches as closely as possible, or to leave them as they are ?

Re-stitching shouldn't significantly impair the appearance of the smock, and hopefully will be virtually undetectable, but at the same time will stabilise any further deterioration of the internal stitching.

Any suggestions as to whether to leave as it is, or halt any further deterioration of stitching by re-stitching ?

Old 08-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
rbminis
Association Member

I believe you will receive different opinions on this question.
I believe you should maintain it in an acceptable condition and to halt any further deterioration.
Ralph.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:13 AM   #3
RJKG

Many thanks for that opinion. That was my inclination.
Overall, it shouldn't detract from the item's appearance, if done well, yet will consolidate it and prevent further deterioration.
Some of the decayed stitching has already been poorly tacked up previously, but in a rather unsightly way, and at what stage in the garment's history is anyone's guess.
Yes, there'll be a minor concession to authenticity, but it's a small price to pay for the gains.
Any other opinions or suggestions welcomed.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:23 AM   #4
Panzer-G-man
Association Member

I'm currently replacing post war repairs on a Hbt tunic with genuine aged pieces. I have no problem with restoring it. It's going to stay with me and if I ever did sell it I'd point it out and expect a reduced value. It will look a lot better in my display and that's all that matters to me.