wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum

Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum This is the corner of the site where you can talk about daggers, bayonets, swords and knifes of the Wehrmacht and related organizations.

Imperial Lionhead sword by A Klucke & Co, Berlin
Old 09-08-2019, 05:44 AM   #1
Victorman
Association Member

Default Imperial Lionhead sword by A Klucke & Co, Berlin

Is anyone familiar with this distributor?

The only other sword that I found with this mark, is in the following topic:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=444061

I believe this must have been a very small Berlin distributor, who is not even mentioned in J. Anthony Carter's makers reference...

What I am trying to find out is which firm made this sword... Any opinions on that?

Thanks & best regards,

Victorman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (43.5 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (24.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (42.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (157.0 KB, 140 views)

Old 09-09-2019, 02:15 AM   #2
Gozzy90

Hiya,

You should find it somewhere within this thread http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/swords...nce-472901-20/

Old 09-10-2019, 02:35 AM   #3
Frogprince

An interesting saber, his last book was a much needed effort for which I am grateful to those who wrote and published it completing the work started by the late Anthony Carter. Unfortunately, although minor it is missing some of the later information that was sent him. That in truth even if he had not unexpectedly passed away probably would still lack some information as new examples/information always seem to be found even years later. It's also true that some very obviously high quality swords simply just don't have any maker and/or distributor markings at all, that was probably intentional. With that said, 'not in hand' - I'm not really sure how to categorize this saber wondering about the scabbard, and why what appears to be an Artillery marked blade has a hilt with a Cavalry hilt motif if my interpretation of the images is correct? FP

Old 09-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
AndyB

Nice Officer sabre, mostly it could be a present or gift , the etching and panels are nice, normally the blade maker was on hidden area of ricasso, here golded between lips of crossguard, when the distributor is here engraved is possible he was the completation firm, and the maker of blade could be hidden on tang , b.r.Andy
Fred You are right, its a Reitende Batterie a part of 6. Feld Artillerie Regt. so cavalry part on artillery sabre is here correct, even the blade form with quilback .
From list of Wurtt.Hoflieferanten is known the August Klucke , Berlin was a Helm and Kurassier fabrik, got his Hoflieferant decret 1895, so probably post this date produced.

Last edited by AndyB; 09-10-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #5
Victorman
Association Member

Thank you, Gozzy, Fred and Andy for your valuable comments on this sword.

Victorman

Old 09-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #6
Frogprince

Like Andy, I also think that as a present/gift of some kind that is a very good possibility. The type of blade in at least some period catalogs I believe is called an "englische Steckenrück". That being a copy of most probably an earlier British Naval Officer's saber blade with a "quill back" ie: bulbous profile at the back edge of the blade, and a Steckrückenklinge Mitte Schör style point. A blade style that was generally reserved for the private purchase more expensive sabers. My sense of the saber itself being that it's earlier rather than later. As for the reitende Artillerie (Horse Artillery) during the war they were allocated to the Cavalry Divisions (3 Brigades of 2 Regiments each) at the Abteilung/Detachment level (3 Batteries). The 6th Regiment of Field Artillery home based in Breslau as a part of the 6th Army Corps in Breslau, that itself had four different Cavalry Regiments. But of course after the mobilization and the onset of trench warfare those events changed a lot of things. Fred

Old 09-12-2019, 02:25 AM   #7
AndyB

http://genwiki.genealogy.net/FAR_6
There is mentioned in 1890 "das Regt besteht aus der I. (1. bis 3. Batt.), II. (4. bis 6. Batt.), III. (7. bis 9. Batt.) und Reit.-Abtl. (1. & 2. reit. Batt.)."
I assume it could be a sabre of Commander of the 1.Reitende Batterie inside of 6.FAR
so this was part of the Regiment mostly, i assume the Schoer klinge was preffered in post 1860 period, but added on bayonet on S98. so the late date could corespond with the dating of Distributor got his Hoflieferent credit. Should be compared by other sabres of similar type, that could be exactly dated. b.r.Andy
For the later date speaks the name of Regt. as there is no schlessisches added in prefix.
"07.05.1874: Schlesische Feldartillerie Regiment Nr. 6
27.01.1889: Feldartillerie Regiment von Peucker (Schlesisches) Nr. 6"

Old 09-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
Victorman
Association Member

Fred and Andy,

Thank you, for the additional comments and information!

Victorman

Old 09-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
BobI
Forum Sponsor

Gorgeous sword I would be thrilled to own!
Bob