wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Book Review and Media

Book Review and Media All books, TV and movies belong here.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:32 AM   #61
Lloyd I.
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P. Moore View Post
Lloyd - I very much appreciate your comments. Heimdal seems to publish quite a bit of SS material and I wonder if their motivation is money or something else.
I know you have stood at the graves of many of these men both Axis and Allied spanning multiple conflicts. So too have I where possible. The pilgrimage of death that is global conflict is not lost on me and it is sobering all those lives given to various causes that sent them into harms way and took them far too soon. Yesterday's enemy is today's ally and today's ally is tomorrows enemy. The hypocrisy stinks worse than death. Blood makes the grass grow green.

While Heimdal may publish quite a bit of SS material, they are far from the tomes you see with other publishers. Specifically Heimdal covers atrocity both with the W-SS and from Allied camps as well including the Maquis and FFI. On the whole as a publisher I find them indifferent and an incredible research tool, covering war as it is.

Just an example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heimdal Hitlerjugend et crimes de geurre.jpg (153.0 KB, 211 views)

12th SS-Panzer Division Hitlerjugend items

Old 08-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #62
Raffaello Carola

Quote:
pasoleati - Have you actually read the book that is the topic of this thread??
I have, the son of a LAH officer gave me a copy many years ago. The first 51 pages of the book are all about
Mohnke as a war hero. Overall image quality is not good as most photos appear darker than optimal. I am shocked
by your comment that minimizes the shooting of 200 British and Canadian captured soldiers. Are you an SS apologist?

I needed to make room in my library for more deserving books. So today I threw in the recycling rubbish a number
of books having no literary value for me. These included fanboy books by Thomas Fischer, Peter Mooney and M. Afiero.
Aside from books coming out from such publishers as RZM, I don't find many new books with original and interesting
content coupled with excellent photographic reproduction. See the photo here -

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewto...?f=19&t=243824

John Moore

JPM, here we do not make politics we are not nazis but we do not even think that the good is all on one side.
Next time be quieter in your opinions. This is the link of an massacre of italian prisoners by US army

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscari_massacre

Old 08-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #63
pasoleati

Quote:
pasoleati - Have you actually read the book that is the topic of this thread?? I have, the son of a LAH officer gave me a copy many years ago. The first 51 pages of the book are all about Mohnke as a war hero. Overall image quality is not good as most photos appear darker than optimal. I am shocked by your comment that minimizes the shooting of 200 British and Canadian captured soldiers. Are you an SS apologist?
John Moore
Yes I have read it, quite soon after it was published. To me it was pretty obvious that the chapter on Mohnke was not all-capturing and that an author has every right to concentrate on issue he finds pertinent. I sold the book for the reason it was too heavy on photos and I do not care much for photobooks unless they show e.g. aircraft construction details or like.

As for the shooting of 200 Canadian/British PoWs: Yes, it was definitely a war crime. However, so is dropping WMDs on cities and fire-bombing like cities. In fact, according to the Hague and Geneva conventions, any military action intended to terrorize or coerce civilian populations is a war crime. Since e.g. in those fire-bombing raids against Tokyo some 80,000 thousand civilians died in one night, many of them burned alive, and even here many applaud such bombing, I have no problem to call 200 shot PoWs peanuts. Had Luftwaffe launched such an attack against London, there would have been a legion of Luftwaffe generals hung. A war crime is a war crime regardless who commits it. Just like a murder is a murder.

And by the way, for many Americans it would do good to read what President Herbert Hoover thought about the use of WMDs. He considered it an absolutely reprehensible act.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #64
Raffaello Carola

Write about some authours fanboy of WSS is clearly a serious accusation.
Here we discussed about books and don't belive those books are nazi propaganda.
Please all to be conmtinued about the history. The WAR is the very bad idea of
humanity; not exist an good war. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2019, 10:51 AM   #65
book lover

I am interested in buying the book.I know the war crimes are left out but what about the rest of the book?Any details of combat etc?or is it just Bio information?

Old 08-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #66
Michael Miller

As an author and collector, I have a question for everyone reading this; it's an important one, I think, being as how ours is a largely book-centered area of interest:

What are your thoughts on a man who throws books in the recycling and/or garbage, then photographs what he's done, maligning the authors by name and bragging about it on public forums?

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewto...?f=19&t=243859

Best wishes,
~ Mike

Old 08-24-2019, 10:04 PM   #67
Lloyd I.
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Miller View Post
As an author and collector, I have a question for everyone reading this; it's an important one, I think, being as how ours is a largely book-centered area of interest:

What are your thoughts on a man who throws books in the recycling and/or garbage, then photographs what he's done, maligning the authors by name and bragging about it on public forums?

Best wishes,
~ Mike
A little serving wouldn't you say Mike? Being Forum Staff and all.

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=213004

As Moore points out, is this really just all about profit? He's one man. Who cares? Unless you're worried more will follow his path.

Best wishes,
~ Lloyd I.

12th SS-Panzer Division Hitlerjugend items

Old 08-24-2019, 10:46 PM   #68
Michael Miller

You're late to this party, Lloyd. All of this dates back many years and involves many people, both living and dead. I kindly suggest you acquaint yourself with more facts before opining.

My "forum staff" status is completely irrelevant to the discussion. This concerns Private Citizen Miller, Private Citizen Moore, and numerous people unfairly maligned by Moore.

~ Mike

Old 08-24-2019, 10:49 PM   #69
Michael Miller

Also, I have no worries. My royalty checks are in the low hundreds and I dare never quit my day job. But I treat folks with basic respect, which is why I enjoy a half-decent reputation.
John is deliberately destroying his, and that truly saddens me.

What was the point of posting that link? Yes, I did indeed announce publication of a book. Something a poor kid from Shingletown, CA should be proud of. But I never bragged and never dragged anyone else through the muck.
And most of my work in this field, spanning over two decades, has been pro bono.

Last edited by Michael Miller; 08-24-2019 at 11:38 PM.

Infos
Old 08-25-2019, 02:41 AM   #70
waffen211

Default Infos

It is easy to deliberately criticize the historical research work of others. If someone also supports Mr. Moore in his heresies, it is even worse, as often happens on various forums. I believe he should be expelled from all forums for his behavior.

Waffen211

Old 08-25-2019, 05:22 AM   #71
chrischa
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Miller View Post

Best wishes,
~ Mike
The irony of book burning is not lost. 1933 may have been a slightly more infamous!

Odd behaviour nevertheless.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #72
Cult Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by book lover View Post
Any details of combat etc?or is it just Bio information?
Yep, that was the spirit of my original question- (having been burned on JFF books before and finding them filled with 95% pictures) my interest was piqued particularly after reading the interesting Rogman chapter in "With our backs to Berlin" (Fischer also interviewed him). I have the "12 years with Hitler (1st Kompanie LAH)" and Mooney's 3rd Kompanie and found them a reasonably good contribution in terms of combat accounts, internal unit impressions, and unit activity- warts and all.