wehrmacht awards


Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975.

Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975. Covering, French Indo China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 11-20-2019, 01:41 AM   #16
hs132
Association Member
 
hs132 is online now
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: ca
Posts: 3,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregM View Post
Hi Bill,
Did your guy leave the service after just after his return home from VN or
did he remain active for a while?
Hi, I believe he returned home here locally after his year was up, left the service and never looked back or talked about it. I hope to get more info. Best, Bill
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #17
603dasc
Member
 
603dasc is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Westernb US
Posts: 560
Default

Bill, do the black pants look by size like they are captured pants or pants that the vet personally used?
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #18
hs132
Association Member
 
hs132 is online now
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: ca
Posts: 3,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603dasc View Post
Bill, do the black pants look by size like they are captured pants or pants that the vet personally used?
Hi, they are a very small size. Bill
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2019, 01:05 AM   #19
603dasc
Member
 
603dasc is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Westernb US
Posts: 560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs132 View Post
Hi, they are a very small size. Bill
Thank you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2019, 09:21 AM   #20
gregM
Association Member
 
gregM's Avatar
 
gregM is online now
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: small town wisconsin
Posts: 10,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs132 View Post
Hi, I believe he returned home here locally after his year was up, left the service and never looked back or talked about it. I hope to get more info. Best, Bill
Thanks, Bill.
I look forward to seeing what else you might find out about this guy.
It's a great grouping and all very interesting.
__________________
LIVE to RIDE - RIDE to LIVE

I was addicted to the Hokey-Pokey, but I turned myself around.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #21
hs132
Association Member
 
hs132 is online now
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: ca
Posts: 3,009
Default

Hello, I’m sorry to say I have been unable to reach the seller of this fine grouping. Ive searched for a reference on this Boonie hat that came with the grouping. Is it US, NVA, Viet Cong? There are no markings or signs of a tag. There is no feeling of inner plastic lining. His year of service was 66-67. Best, Bill Bourque
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2020, 10:11 PM   #22
MikeP
Association Member
 
MikeP's Avatar
 
MikeP is offline
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: midwest usa
Posts: 1,657
Default

The pic at Ft Bragg in the SF garb suggests to me he was in Training Group between Phase 1 and graduation.
We got berets after Phase 1, but no group flash until we graduated and went to a group.


He possibly got terminated for some reason, terminated himself, or was hijacked by the 101 when he arrived in RVN.
That happened occasionally and we had to watch out for it.
I knew several guys this happened to even though though they had orders to 5th SFG.


Do you have any documentation indicating he went from 101 to 5th Grp?
__________________
MLP
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2020, 10:46 PM   #23
Bob Chatt
Moderator
 
Bob Chatt's Avatar
 
Bob Chatt is offline
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs132 View Post
Hello, I’m sorry to say I have been unable to reach the seller of this fine grouping. Ive searched for a reference on this Boonie hat that came with the grouping. Is it US, NVA, Viet Cong? There are no markings or signs of a tag. There is no feeling of inner plastic lining. His year of service was 66-67. Best, Bill Bourque
You will see these style caps, usually camo, being worn by ARVN's.
__________________
"Militaria shows are a social event for anti-social people"--A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2020, 12:48 AM   #24
hs132
Association Member
 
hs132 is online now
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: ca
Posts: 3,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Chatt View Post
You will see these style caps, usually camo, being worn by ARVN's.
Thanks Bob, then a guess, it came with the tiger stripe set. See you at your next LA show. Best, Bill
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2020, 01:03 AM   #25
hs132
Association Member
 
hs132 is online now
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: ca
Posts: 3,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
The pic at Ft Bragg in the SF garb suggests to me he was in Training Group between Phase 1 and graduation.
We got berets after Phase 1, but no group flash until we graduated and went to a group.


He possibly got terminated for some reason, terminated himself, or was hijacked by the 101 when he arrived in RVN.
That happened occasionally and we had to watch out for it.
I knew several guys this happened to even though though they had orders to 5th SFG.


Do you have any documentation indicating he went from 101 to 5th Grp?
Hello, thank you for your info. I have no other info along those lines sorry to say. Here is a pic of his Heroism Award and a list of the 10 operations he was in the 12 months he was in country. No other info available. Where did the Recondo Beret come in? Was the Recondo school in VN operating that early? Or was it stateside? Best, Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59E79D04-A3E2-4730-8922-7056DD7CF456.jpg (98.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg C1C3120B-DC7C-4EA6-8485-4BBE487E7F76.jpg (57.1 KB, 55 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #26
509thPIB
Member
 
509thPIB's Avatar
 
509thPIB is offline
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Avellino
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
The pic at Ft Bragg in the SF garb suggests to me he was in Training Group between Phase 1 and graduation.
We got berets after Phase 1, but no group flash until we graduated and went to a group.


He possibly got terminated for some reason, terminated himself, or was hijacked by the 101 when he arrived in RVN.
That happened occasionally and we had to watch out for it.
I knew several guys this happened to even though though they had orders to 5th SFG.


Do you have any documentation indicating he went from 101 to 5th Grp?
It wasn't always about hijacking incoming troops. Part of it depended on needs and your MOS (this was particularly true with Commo Specialists). I knew several guys from the 10th SFG who were sent to the 74th Infantry Detachment LRRP when they arrived in country.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2020, 06:58 AM   #27
509thPIB
Member
 
509thPIB's Avatar
 
509thPIB is offline
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Avellino
Posts: 186
Default

I think he attended the 101st RECONDO School here in the United States and served with the HHC 2nd Battalion 502nd while in Vietnam. There is no evidence that he was assigned to a Reconnaissance Unit while in Vietnam. His having a set of Tiger Stripes isn't proof of anything.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #28
hs132
Association Member
 
hs132 is online now
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: ca
Posts: 3,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509thPIB View Post
I think he attended the 101st RECONDO School here in the United States and served with the HHC 2nd Battalion 502nd while in Vietnam. There is no evidence that he was assigned to a Reconnaissance Unit while in Vietnam. His having a set of Tiger Stripes isn't proof of anything.
Thank you. The tiger stripe set is very small and for sure were not worn by him as they wouldn't fit. Best, Bill
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com