wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum

Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum This is the corner of the site where you can talk about daggers, bayonets, swords and knifes of the Wehrmacht and related organizations.

Transitional WKC KM Dagger with Ivory grip and Damast blade
Old 02-10-2020, 08:15 AM   #1
Ed Hicks
Association Member

Default Transitional WKC KM Dagger with Ivory grip and Damast blade

Transitional WKC KM Dagger with Ivory grip and Damast blade...The blade needs careful cleaning...Any suggestions on who does good work on Damascus blades?

Thanks for looking.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WKC KM Ivory & Damast Dagger (3).jpg (42.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg WKC KM Ivory & Damast Dagger (5).jpg (40.2 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg WKC KM Ivory & Damast Dagger (8).jpg (55.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg WKC KM Ivory & Damast Dagger (13).jpg (50.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg WKC KM Ivory & Damast Dagger (12).jpg (109.4 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg WKC KM Ivory & Damast Dagger (15).jpg (102.3 KB, 125 views)

Old 02-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
stratocaster3
Association Member

Other than a light quality gun oil or preservative of your choice, (not trying to get into a debate of oil vs. RenWax because both have their pros and cons) I would not do a thing to it. The blade matches the patina of the scabbard and fittings. I would not clean the scabbard or fittings either BTW. My opinion of course.

It is indeed tempting to clean these up a bit but the results can sometimes look unnatural if overdone and look well...recently cleaned. The blade will come up a bit as the oil treats the corrosion but don't force it. From the looks of it this blade has already been cleaned hard earlier in its life. Sometimes things are best left alone showing the ravages of time and the patina of history. Just my two cents and preference.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #3
Ed Hicks
Association Member

I always leave daggers and swords fittings untouched, but this blade deserves a professional cleaning. It's not one I'll keep and it will make a better impression once cleaned.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
Serge M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hicks View Post
I always leave daggers and swords fittings untouched, but this blade deserves a professional cleaning. It's not one I'll keep and it will make a better impression once cleaned.
If your planning on selling it I would leave the cleaning part to the new owner (if they even desire to do so and to what degree), as many blade collectors will actually pay more for a dagger 'As Found' to one that has been cleaned.

Quote:
Other than a light quality gun oil or preservative of your choice, (not trying to get into a debate of oil vs. RenWax because both have their pros and cons) I would not do a thing to it. The blade matches the patina of the scabbard and fittings. I would not clean the scabbard or fittings either BTW. My opinion of course.

It is indeed tempting to clean these up a bit but the results can sometimes look unnatural if overdone and look well...recently cleaned. The blade will come up a bit as the oil treats the corrosion but don't force it. From the looks of it this blade has already been cleaned hard earlier in its life. Sometimes things are best left alone showing the ravages of time and the patina of history. Just my two cents and preference.
Agree.

-Serge

Old 02-10-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
Billy G
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge M. View Post
If your planning on selling it I would leave the cleaning part to the new owner (if they even desire to do so and to what degree), as many blade collectors will actually pay more for a dagger 'As Found' to one that has been cleaned.
I would agree entirely with Serge's suggestion. I understand the presentation value but you would probably eliminate a certain segment of hobby purists if you clean the blade.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #6
Frogprince

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratocaster3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge M. View Post

Agree.

-Serge
The blade has had some severe rust that has been removed leaving pitting so I like the two comments posted above. Not in hand - if I saw some active red rust I personally would most likely use an oil and possibly a finer bristle nylon type of brush to try and minimize abrasion in removing it to prevent further damage. FP

Old 02-10-2020, 07:29 PM   #7
rajko84
Association Member

That is very nice custom piece.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:17 PM   #8
stratocaster3
Association Member

Quote:
I would be interested in buying this dagger but only in “as-found” condition.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #9
Ed Hicks
Association Member

As tempting as it is it's likely best to leave it as it is. I'll let the next owner decide what to do.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:04 PM   #10
rajko84
Association Member

Quote:
As tempting as it is it's likely best to leave it as it is. I'll let the next owner decide what to do.
I tried to send you PM but your inbox is full

Old 02-10-2020, 10:46 PM   #11
Ed Hicks
Association Member

Email is best since I rarely check PMs, but I deleted all my messages now.

Last edited by Ed Hicks; 02-10-2020 at 11:12 PM.