wehrmacht awards


Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum

Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum This is the corner of the site where you can talk about daggers, bayonets, swords and knifes of the Wehrmacht and related organizations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Transitional WKC KM Dagger with Ivory grip and Damast blade
Old 02-10-2020, 08:15 AM   #1
Ed Hicks
Association Member
 
Ed Hicks's Avatar
 
Ed Hicks is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,052
Default Transitional WKC KM Dagger with Ivory grip and Damast blade

Transitional WKC KM Dagger with Ivory grip and Damast blade...The blade needs careful cleaning...Any suggestions on who does good work on Damascus blades?

Thanks for looking.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WKC KM Ivory & Damast Dagger (3).jpg (42.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg WKC KM Ivory & Damast Dagger (5).jpg (40.2 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg WKC KM Ivory & Damast Dagger (8).jpg (55.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg WKC KM Ivory & Damast Dagger (13).jpg (50.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg WKC KM Ivory & Damast Dagger (12).jpg (109.4 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg WKC KM Ivory & Damast Dagger (15).jpg (102.3 KB, 125 views)
__________________
Ed Hicks
910-425-7000
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
stratocaster3
Association Member
 
stratocaster3's Avatar
 
stratocaster3 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 124
Default

Other than a light quality gun oil or preservative of your choice, (not trying to get into a debate of oil vs. RenWax because both have their pros and cons) I would not do a thing to it. The blade matches the patina of the scabbard and fittings. I would not clean the scabbard or fittings either BTW. My opinion of course.

It is indeed tempting to clean these up a bit but the results can sometimes look unnatural if overdone and look well...recently cleaned. The blade will come up a bit as the oil treats the corrosion but don't force it. From the looks of it this blade has already been cleaned hard earlier in its life. Sometimes things are best left alone showing the ravages of time and the patina of history. Just my two cents and preference.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #3
Ed Hicks
Association Member
 
Ed Hicks's Avatar
 
Ed Hicks is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,052
Default

I always leave daggers and swords fittings untouched, but this blade deserves a professional cleaning. It's not one I'll keep and it will make a better impression once cleaned.
__________________
Ed Hicks
910-425-7000
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
Serge M.
Moderator
 
Serge M.'s Avatar
 
Serge M. is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: out west
Posts: 5,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hicks View Post
I always leave daggers and swords fittings untouched, but this blade deserves a professional cleaning. It's not one I'll keep and it will make a better impression once cleaned.
If your planning on selling it I would leave the cleaning part to the new owner (if they even desire to do so and to what degree), as many blade collectors will actually pay more for a dagger 'As Found' to one that has been cleaned.

Quote:
Other than a light quality gun oil or preservative of your choice, (not trying to get into a debate of oil vs. RenWax because both have their pros and cons) I would not do a thing to it. The blade matches the patina of the scabbard and fittings. I would not clean the scabbard or fittings either BTW. My opinion of course.

It is indeed tempting to clean these up a bit but the results can sometimes look unnatural if overdone and look well...recently cleaned. The blade will come up a bit as the oil treats the corrosion but don't force it. From the looks of it this blade has already been cleaned hard earlier in its life. Sometimes things are best left alone showing the ravages of time and the patina of history. Just my two cents and preference.
Agree.

-Serge
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
Billy G
Association Member
 
Billy G's Avatar
 
Billy G is online now
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 4,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge M. View Post
If your planning on selling it I would leave the cleaning part to the new owner (if they even desire to do so and to what degree), as many blade collectors will actually pay more for a dagger 'As Found' to one that has been cleaned.
I would agree entirely with Serge's suggestion. I understand the presentation value but you would probably eliminate a certain segment of hobby purists if you clean the blade.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #6
Frogprince
Member
 
Frogprince's Avatar
 
Frogprince is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: West Coast USA
Posts: 3,651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratocaster3 View Post
Other than a light quality gun oil or preservative of your choice, (not trying to get into a debate of oil vs. RenWax because both have their pros and cons) I would not do a thing to it. The blade matches the patina of the scabbard and fittings. I would not clean the scabbard or fittings either BTW. My opinion of course.

It is indeed tempting to clean these up a bit but the results can sometimes look unnatural if overdone and look well...recently cleaned. The blade will come up a bit as the oil treats the corrosion but don't force it. From the looks of it this blade has already been cleaned hard earlier in its life. Sometimes things are best left alone showing the ravages of time and the patina of history. Just my two cents and preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge M. View Post
If your planning on selling it I would leave the cleaning part to the new owner (if they even desire to do so and to what degree), as many blade collectors will actually pay more for a dagger 'As Found' to one that has been cleaned.

Agree.

-Serge
The blade has had some severe rust that has been removed leaving pitting so I like the two comments posted above. Not in hand - if I saw some active red rust I personally would most likely use an oil and possibly a finer bristle nylon type of brush to try and minimize abrasion in removing it to prevent further damage. FP
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2020, 07:29 PM   #7
rajko84
Association Member
 
rajko84's Avatar
 
rajko84 is online now
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 6,390
Default

That is very nice custom piece.
__________________
Collecting anything millitary from kingdom of Serbia and kingdom of Yugoslavia
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2020, 09:17 PM   #8
stratocaster3
Association Member
 
stratocaster3's Avatar
 
stratocaster3 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hicks View Post
I always leave daggers and swords fittings untouched, but this blade deserves a professional cleaning. It's not one I'll keep and it will make a better impression once cleaned.
I would be interested in buying this dagger but only in “as-found” condition.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #9
Ed Hicks
Association Member
 
Ed Hicks's Avatar
 
Ed Hicks is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,052
Default

As tempting as it is it's likely best to leave it as it is. I'll let the next owner decide what to do.
__________________
Ed Hicks
910-425-7000
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2020, 10:04 PM   #10
rajko84
Association Member
 
rajko84's Avatar
 
rajko84 is online now
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 6,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hicks View Post
As tempting as it is it's likely best to leave it as it is. I'll let the next owner decide what to do.
I tried to send you PM but your inbox is full
__________________
Collecting anything millitary from kingdom of Serbia and kingdom of Yugoslavia
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2020, 10:46 PM   #11
Ed Hicks
Association Member
 
Ed Hicks's Avatar
 
Ed Hicks is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,052
Default

Email is best since I rarely check PMs, but I deleted all my messages now.
__________________
Ed Hicks
910-425-7000

Last edited by Ed Hicks; 02-10-2020 at 11:12 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com