wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > International Militaria Forum

International Militaria Forum Rest of the World Militaria.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #46
oxi

More information of the 3rd Mountain Brigade from the Army History Directorate. I contacted them back in 2007, looking for more information regarding the units my grandfather fought with. Here is what I gathered:

11/8/1944

"The 3rd Greek Mountain Brigade (consisting of three Infantry battalions and one Artillery regiment), under the command of Colonel Thraskalotos, landed in Taranto. The brigade was to advance towards the zone of operations of the Italian front, as part of the larger Allied effort."

21/9/1944:

"The 3rd Greek Mountain Brigade (known by its Greek acronym as EOT) captured the Italian city of Rimini at 0900 hours, after a hard battle with the Germans. The capture of that city crowned fifteen days of fighting by the brigade, during which time the enemy offered fierce defense, from house to house and from pillbox to pillbox, finally being forced to retreat to a depth of fifteen kilometers. In a ceremony held on the afternoon of the same day in the town square, the flag of the brigade's Battalion II, the first to enter the city, was accorded military honors in the presence of representatives of the brigade, as well as of Canadian and New Zealand units. After this event the brigade came to be known as the Rimini Brigade."

27/9/1944:

"Battalion I of the 3rd Greek Mountain Brigade (EOT) attacked the Italian city of Belaria, capturing it. On the same day it crossed the Rubicon river. BBC in London praised the Greek Brigade for this bold action."

19/10/1944:

"After fighting the lasted more than forty days, the 3rd Greek Mountain Brigade left the Italian theatre and prepared for its return to Greece. The commander of the 1st Canadian Army Corps congratulated and bid farewell to the men of the brigade."

Old 03-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #47
mufasa
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxi View Post

Here is my grandfather receiving some sort of award or recognition by Greek command. Unsure when or where this happened but is shows his rank at the end of the war.

very nice and interesting photo!

Old 03-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #48
mufasa
Association Member

a map for Greek soldiers on the Gothic Line ..... the greatest losses of Greeks are just between Riccione and Rimini airport (white map) against German paratroopers of 1 FJD ...
(the red Arrow is the point of the Greek Cemetery, with 114 graves)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z (1).jpg (169.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (49.6 KB, 56 views)

Old 03-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #49
mufasa
Association Member

I am attaching a picture of a few months ago (September 20, 2016) with a ceremony with over a hundred Greeks in the Riccione Greek military cemetery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 305.jpg (78.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 307.jpg (72.1 KB, 60 views)

Old 03-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #50
mufasa
Association Member

At the ceremony, which is repeated regularly every year in September on the occasion of this anniversary, also he attended a veteran this time. It is Joannis Nikolopoulou (92 years), who lived those days along the Gothic Line ... notice his medals and his gold badge on the jacket!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 304.jpg (67.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 303.jpg (71.2 KB, 55 views)

Old 03-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #51
oxi

Here is an image of my grandfather with all of his medals and badges...

Old 03-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #52
oxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufasa View Post
I am attaching a picture of a few months ago (September 20, 2016) with a ceremony with over a hundred Greeks in the Riccione Greek military cemetery
We were there in Rimini in 2005, in October with my future wife to pay respect to the fallen as a testament that we are alive and together today because of their sacrifice.

WE could not find the cemetery, it was the greatest story of our Italian trip that year, and we found it when the mother in law needed to use the WC at a McDonald's. I asked the manager if he had a map of the area showing where the cemetery was, and sure enough, it was on a McDonald's map, so he guided us to there and we found it on the side of the road when I noticed Greek flags.

Before the McDonald's, I was red flagged for local police checkpoint pull over, and the local policeman knew we were "Americans" and we talked and told him we were looking for the Greek war cemetery. He called dispatch to help us out and pointed us in the direction where we ended up at the McDonald's later!

I have more pictures from the cemetery, but having trouble getting them on here do to no copy/paste or download from my computer allowed.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #53
mufasa
Association Member

Quote:
We were there in Rimini in 2005, in October with my future wife to pay respect to the fallen as a testament that we are alive and together today because of their sacrifice.

WE could not find the cemetery, it was the greatest story of our Italian trip that year, and we found it when the mother in law needed to use the WC at a McDonald's. I asked the manager if he had a map of the area showing where the cemetery was, and sure enough, it was on a McDonald's map, so he guided us to there and we found it on the side of the road when I noticed Greek flags.

Before the McDonald's, I was red flagged for local police checkpoint pull over, and the local policeman knew we were "Americans" and we talked and told him we were looking for the Greek war cemetery. He called dispatch to help us out and pointed us in the direction where we ended up at the McDonald's later!

I have more pictures from the cemetery, but having trouble getting them on here do to no copy/paste or download from my computer allowed.

there are several Allies war cemeteries between Pesaro and Rimini (nad Forli and Cesena and Ravenna and Argenta and Bologna........)

usually every year Riccione remembers the anniversary of the Liberation on September 20 in a ceremony at the Greek Cemetery and at the largest Allies cemetery of Coriano (which is just over a kilometer behind your McDonald i)

While in Rimini Liberation is celebrated the day after, the 21st, in the Gurkha Cemetery on San Marino road and at the Queen Bays Memorial, in the hills behind Covignano.....

Old 03-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #54
mufasa
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxi;
[/URL]

Here is an image of my grandfather with all of his medals and badges...

very interesting photo and very beautiful medals!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17410242_1020898898j8666597_328405618_n_zpswbibdgg5.jpg (59.8 KB, 56 views)

Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 PM   #55
oxi

Old 03-21-2017, 03:37 AM   #56
mufasa
Association Member

Fantastic!! It is possibile to see the certificate in detail? Many thanks Oriano

Inviato dal mio SM-G903F utilizzando Tapatalk

Old 03-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #57
stray_dog

The portrait photo is really interesting. It shows insignia and badges worn in a non-standard way. The (removable) formation patch with St. George should be worn on the left arm and the "National Services Award" should be worn on the right breast pocket, alongside with the 3rd Mountain Brigade one.

The presence of the "National Services Award" dates the photo to 1949 and later (possibly 1950-1951, judging by the patch?), since these were instituted in early 1949.

I have some info on these on my website, here:

http://ww2militaria.weebly.com/mea-n...es-badges.html

Is there an inscription on the reverse of this badge or not?

Regards,
Giorgos

Edit: It also looks like he is wearing a blue-white M.E.A. armband on his left arm.

Last edited by stray_dog; 03-21-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #58
herrzark

Quote:
wow!!!!!!! Very interesting. Thank you for posting it. And oxi, dont say oxi(No) and please post more photos if you have and photos from rimini..Thank you very much in advance

Old 03-22-2017, 08:51 PM   #59
herrzark

Quote:
Anymore background information about the flag in Athens?
sorry. dont know.I took the photo 2 years ago from Military museum of Athens. Dont remember what it was writing. I believe that it is one official flag that (maybe the main flag) which was in Rimini e.t.c.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:52 PM   #60
herrzark

And Oriano thank you for your new photos. They are amazing