wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Tony Barto SS Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Tony Barto SS Uniforms and Insignia Forum Dedicated to SS cloth collecting and anything else SS related.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:20 PM   #61
Jeff V

Again, the OP is under no obligation to give personal info to any of us. The items are not for sale at this time. Please discuss only the items.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #62
Captain Black
Association Member

Come on mate stop teasing & give us a group shot!

Cheers Brad

Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #63
waffendude
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Black View Post
Come on mate stop teasing & give us a group shot!

Cheers Brad
x2

Old 03-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #64
eldenwaff

I would certainly agree that no one is under any obligation to post personal info against their will, that in and of itself is nothing.
That an avid history buff would leave a stash of premium war booty untouched and unsearched in the attic for over half a century is not very credible though, just can't see it happening.
Hell, I was combing my grandfathers attic for stashed goodies when I was 11 years old. Granted, not everyone has the same mindset ,,, But I do see grounds for suspicion.

It is said "He is not trying to sell, so everything is Ok !" Do we know he is not trying to sell ? Easy to imagine his mailbox full of solicited offers, and we all know what crazy chances guys will take to acquire SS items ,,, I guess we'll know for sure in a few weeks.

That said, as of now there is no certain proof of any nefarious intentions though, as stated, the concept of a next of kin war buff knowing about this for decades and just suddenly deciding to investigate it stretches credibly up to and a bit past the breaking point.

This is obviously a holy grail level stash, hope its legit but don't be blinded by the runes !

Old 03-21-2017, 01:31 AM   #65
viva_giulio

Very nice items I hope.to.do not.see.them in an auction soon

Old 03-21-2017, 03:19 AM   #66
Bill Hermann
Association Member

Great items and a pleasure to view and hear your story, the M35 DD and the dot44 tunic have my attention Bill

Old 03-21-2017, 05:15 AM   #67
Funia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchVolunteer View Post
Hi,

the fact is that the owner is said to be from the US, which is - imho - very different from being from Russia, Romania or even Poland...
And on a personal note, i will never send money to an newbie/unknown person to such countries if the total amount is very expensive... At least i will find friends there that can meet the guy (bought a lot of stuff from those countries without any problem by the way).

And this is is a proof that the people who wanted the "name of the father" are doing that only to identify the real location of the owner, maybe because they want to buy something from him...

See You

Vince
Sorry maybe will be of topic but I also will never send money to France.
If seller is from U.S no problem
Peter
P.S I think many people from Russia and Romania feel just like me.

Peter

Last edited by Funia; 03-21-2017 at 05:20 AM.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #68
Monarch 10EE
Association Member

I will say, don’t necessarily assume all these items came from Dachau. He must have been picking things up where ever he was. There’s a family story that he acquired a minty Mauser 98k rifle. Then after about three days of lugging it around he said, “I’m not carrying this around for the rest of the war”, and leaned it against a tree and walked away.

And I have a question you guys can probably answer. What was the procedure for mailing home packages? I can’t see the War Department using resources to mail home souvenirs during a time of war. Now after the war it may have been doable. And I’m sure if it was small enough, like a folded flag, they would just keep it with them as they marched.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #69
cavguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch 10EE View Post

And I have a question you guys can probably answer. What was the procedure for mailing home packages? I can’t see the War Department using resources to mail home souvenirs during a time of war. Now after the war it may have been doable. And I’m sure if it was small enough, like a folded flag, they would just keep it with them as they marched.
I recall having seen a few "capture" documents that indicate you could send home most items except weapons / weapons parts (not sure if blades were allowed or not). You needed a signature from an "authority" as to what rank this authority would have been, I am not sure probably at least a O-3 (CPT).

Other capture documents seems to indicate that captured enemy weapons were allowed to be retained as "Personal Property" under the authority of the theater commander. Again, these are signed by an officer who has presumably inspected the weapon.

While I can't necessarily speak for the WWII era regulations, but during OIF I sent back numerous items I found including a helmet - I never needed any commanders signature. The regulations in place at the time I was in theater stated that you can mail back pretty much anything, within reason, other than a weapon / weapon parts. You just simply find a box, go to the APO and pay the postage, the Military Postal Workers will search your box and after that you are good to go.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #70
TK GUY
Association Member

Hello,

A vet I got a Das Reich grouping from the Battle of the Bulge also mailed home a working MP 44 in three separate boxes to his parent's house. His wife still has it today in a closet. I wouldn't touch it because it does not have the correct papers/registered. So, vets did mail items home successfully.

Paul

Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #71
tanker

My suggestion to the OP is contact a reputable person to assess the collection. I see you are in New England. You could contact Bill Shea of The Ruptured Duck and I am sure he would be glad to help you. He certainly has the expertise and knowledge on these items and would be glad to answer the questions. A collection of this level should be accurately assess/catalog.That would accomplish a few things for you. First, you would not have to post single pieces/snippets, second you could obtain a fair market value, third have it assessed/cataloged at one time and forth have a potential buyer when you decide to sell
This way, you would not be adding one pic or question every so often. Contacting him would also eliminate any suspicion of trying source the collection for sale by teasing with a few pics. Also ,you would not have to go on a public forum and provide a story but no names to any collectors wishing to do research. Just my opinion/suggestion as the way you currently presented the collection left too much room for skepticism of your intentions. whether intended or not

Last edited by tanker; 03-21-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #72
RobertE
Association Member

Thanks for posting the items - it looks like winner pieces so far. Please keep putting them up as you find them, as many of us are enjoying this excellent collection.

regards, Robert

Old 03-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #73
Thorsten B.
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertE View Post
Thanks for posting the items - it looks like winner pieces so far. Please keep putting them up as you find them, as many of us are enjoying this excellent collection.

regards, Robert
Absolutely!!!

Old 03-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #74
billbert
Association Member

THE LIONS SHARE of what you've posted PROBABLY came from DACHAU...BIG SS STORAGE SUPPLY MANUFACTURER...Billbert

Old 03-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #75
STLMatt
Association Member

I'm still going back to that metal car pennant
The construction looks correct
But everything I've ever seen with that type of Totenkopf is generally not good
I know there was a metal LAH car pennant
And an SS.
The few staff car pennants that I've seen with regiment numbers
Have been made of cloth
Does anyone else have any info on the metal car pennants of the era??