wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975.

Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975. Covering, French Indo China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #46
Beau Brummel.

Oh, So In effect you are talking about 'In your experience'!

The passage that you quoted verbatim without crediting the author comes from 'Jungle Snafus and Remedies' by Cresson H Kearny. A very Interesting book If anybody Is Interested

You then Immediately go on to say that Waltham changed the markings In 1972 without adding that this Is conjecture on your part.

I'm afraid that Is no more concrete than anything any of us have to add on the subject. From the way you quoted Kearny and your mention of documents you have pertaining to these compasses, I assumed (as I am sure you wanted me to) that you had documentary evidence.

At the end of the day we are all In the dark; and until some paperwork pertaining to this arises that's how things will stay. I'll have a look through my Quartermaster catalogues and see If I can find anything, you never know, we might be lucky.

Yours, Guy.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #47
Beau Brummel.

OOOPS, sorry I was typing whilst you were posting that. Very nice Indeed, thank you for sharing It here.

Yours, Guy.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #48
Bushmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Brummel. View Post
Oh, So In effect you are talking about 'In your experience'!

The passage that you quoted verbatim without crediting the author comes from 'Jungle Snafus and Remedies' by Cresson H Kearny. A very Interesting book If anybody Is Interested

You then Immediately go on to say that Waltham changed the markings In 1972 without adding that this Is conjecture on your part.

I'm afraid that Is no more concrete than anything any of us have to add on the subject. From the way you quoted Kearny and your mention of documents you have pertaining to these compasses, I assumed (as I am sure you wanted me to) that you had documentary evidence.

At the end of the day we are all In the dark; and until some paperwork pertaining to this arises that's how things will stay. I'll have a look through my Quartermaster catalogues and see If I can find anything, you never know, we might be lucky.

Yours, Guy.

Yes, the information can be found in that book, but the details along with the numbers originally come from some government documents.
The only thing I have quoted verbatim from the book you are refering to is the sentence with the quotation marks. I should have stated the source.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #49
Spikey

"Oh, So In effect you are talking about 'In your experience'!"

"You then Immediately go on to say that Waltham changed the markings In 1972 without adding that this Is conjecture on your part."

So we don't have any ACTUAL documented on paper proof of the time line of compasses marked W. W. Co. and W. W. C. then?

Last edited by Spikey; 08-11-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #50
603dasc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
... I worked in the HALO shed, briefly, they had altitude timers that automatically opened parachutes at a set height if the jumper was not able.
They were good for twenty uses or so.
They smashed them after 10, as I recall.
I took up sky diving in 1968 at college, and the instructors were ex-82nd Abn. We had the altitude timers on all chutes for jumpers' first free fall. They were manual and had to be shut off as soon as you had a good main canopy. Yep, on my first free fall I forgot to shut it off and it deployed the reserve at 1200 feet. Luckily I caught it at about eye level before it fully deployed and kinda stuffed it between my legs for landing. In catching it I also dropped my ripcord. So I had to pay for a new rip cord and for a new explosive charge for the reserve, plus beers for the instructors for putting up with my stupidity. Expensive jump!

Old 08-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #51
603dasc

Here's a 1969 watch from my collection. It was worn by a CAP Marine during his Vietnam tours, and also was worn by him in Laos and Cambodia as a State Dept employee during the early to mid 70's. The band is a new never worn plastic band that he purchased during the period.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch w band-a.jpg (233.9 KB, 279 views)

Old 08-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #52
603dasc

Closeups of the watch. Sorry the reverse is so hard to read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch reverse-a.jpg (60.3 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg Watch front-a.jpg (52.7 KB, 294 views)

Old 08-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #53
Spikey

And as usual no real proof or documentation from the Norway know-it-all.

I, and others, would like to see the documentation the proves your claim that the wrist compasses marked W. W. C. are from 1972.

So Vegard, do you actually HAVE any proof or is it just "'In your experience'!"?

Last edited by Spikey; 08-12-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #54
Bushmaniac

I do not understand.
What is so unclear?!

Government documents confirm 28000 wrist compasses with the markings "W. C. Co" were ordered from the Waltham Compass Company in 1968.
I get the 1972 date from all of the boxes/kits I have handled.

Believe what you want, I do not care.
I just wanted to share what I have learned.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #55
Beau Brummel.

Lovely Example 603, particularly fine as It Is provenance to a CAP member.

Thank you very much for sharing It!

Yours, Guy.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #56
Spikey

I read the same document.

Items you have "handled" MAY be a valid way to determine that timeline but it is NOT definitive PROOF of your original claim.

Had you said this in your ORIGINAL post............

Old 08-18-2014, 03:08 AM   #57
Spikey

This pic is from one of Jason Hardy's latest SOG books. You can read the description. Now, is the compass the ACTUAL one the SOG vet wore incountry in 70/71? Maybe added for the photo? Only Jason knows since he took the picture. But it is CLEARLY a W. C. C. compass.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #58
Luftm40
Association Member

The Seikos were great watches. Here are mine. The one on the left was issued to me at SEAL Team FOUR. It originally came with a nylon band, but I replaced it with a rubber one. The one on the right is from the same era, but I forget where I got it. Sad that they have been replaced by the plastic G-shock like watches...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0090.jpg (131.4 KB, 334 views)

Old 08-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #59
Spikey

I was told the reason SEALs started using nylon 1 piece bands in the 60's was in case a pin let go the watch didn't fall off your wrist.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #60
Luftm40
Association Member

Yes, that is exactly why. The original one on mine was VELCRO and the fuzzy part held on to water after it got wet. It made the skin on my wrist break down, so I got rid of it....