wehrmacht awards


Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Flag, Pennant and Standarte Forum

Flag, Pennant and Standarte Forum Wehrmacht, Political and Organizational Standards, flags, and car pennants.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 12-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #31
PBR
Member
 
PBR's Avatar
 
PBR is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: WAF
Posts: 2,393
Default

Italo-German unit with Yugo partisan flag
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (162.4 KB, 1121 views)
  Reply With Quote

more from the Balkans ...
Old 12-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #32
oldflagswanted
Lifetime Member
 
oldflagswanted's Avatar
 
oldflagswanted is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 10,752
Default more from the Balkans ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.K. View Post
Italo-German unit with Yugo partisan flag
Hello T.K.:
Nice captured commie Yugo flag photo.

OFW
(below) An earlier Balkans War captured flag -
Bulgarian taken from the Ottoman Empire troops.
i.e., Balkans: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkans

and as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgaria
and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Empire
(below) captured flag close up...
  Reply With Quote

walking over banners ...
Old 12-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #33
oldflagswanted
Lifetime Member
 
oldflagswanted's Avatar
 
oldflagswanted is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 10,752
Default walking over banners ...

Going over the top in WW2.
OFW
(below) US GI walks over podium banners in Munich.
Rarer pb eagle wing version on white square center.

(below) Soviet troops going over RDF on Reich border...
  Reply With Quote

WW2 at sea...
Old 12-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #34
oldflagswanted
Lifetime Member
 
oldflagswanted's Avatar
 
oldflagswanted is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 10,752
Default WW2 at sea...

WW2 USN captured at sea.
OFW
(below) USS Omaha and German M.S. Odenwald.
"...a Kriegsmarine radioman aboard the Graf Spee when
that ship was scuttled after the battle of the River Plate. ...
escaped internment crossing the Andes on foot to Chile &
then on to Japan where he joined the crew of the Odenwald ...
"
(below 2) USS Omaha crew members aboard Odenwald.



Attached Images
File Type: jpg Odenwald-capture-waf.jpg (35.3 KB, 1044 views)
File Type: jpg Odenwald-capture2-waf.jpg (149.8 KB, 1045 views)

Last edited by oldflagswanted; 12-26-2012 at 01:19 PM.
  Reply With Quote

more SS captured ...
Old 12-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #35
oldflagswanted
Lifetime Member
 
oldflagswanted's Avatar
 
oldflagswanted is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 10,752
Default more SS captured ...

Another SS captured Soviet banner.
OFW

(below) German SS captured Soviet youth flag.
Flag wording via online translation goes something like:
K борьбе эа готов = -------------> Ready To Fight,
всегда готов! = ------------------> Always Ready!
kомунистиуеской партии = ---> Communist Party
будь готов! = --------------------> Until the Finish!
  Reply With Quote

Italian captured ...
Old 12-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #36
oldflagswanted
Lifetime Member
 
oldflagswanted's Avatar
 
oldflagswanted is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 10,752
Default Italian captured ...

Italian captured flag.
OFW

(below) see caption on right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ital-cap-turk-flag.jpg (129.9 KB, 1029 views)
  Reply With Quote

1871 captured ...
Old 12-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #37
oldflagswanted
Lifetime Member
 
oldflagswanted's Avatar
 
oldflagswanted is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 10,752
Default 1871 captured ...

USN & USMC captured 1871 Korean Fort HQ Flag.
OFW

(below) see caption below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg usmc-Korea-1871-waf3.jpg (149.5 KB, 1022 views)

Last edited by oldflagswanted; 12-28-2012 at 04:16 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #38
chen
Association Member
 
chen's Avatar
 
chen is offline
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: asia
Posts: 3,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldflagswanted View Post
USN & USMC captured 1871 Korean Fort HQ Flag.
OFW

(below) see caption below.
That Kanji wording means Field marshal.
  Reply With Quote

rare book of Trophy Flags ...
Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #39
oldflagswanted
Lifetime Member
 
oldflagswanted's Avatar
 
oldflagswanted is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 10,752
Default rare book of Trophy Flags ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chen View Post
That Kanji wording means Field marshal.
Hello chen:
Thanks for that information. Have in my collection
an interesting Annapolis 1913 rare book entitled:
"INSCRIPTIONS FOR TROPHY FLAGS IN CEILING
ACADEMIC BUILDING" at the US NAVAL ACADEMY
,
where the subject flag (WAF post #37) is listed as
Case Number 22, Catalog Number 16, "Standard of
Korean Generalissimo - The characters Eifl mean
"Generalissimo" or "commander-in-chief," and are
similar in form to the Chinese characters having the
same use."

OFW
(below) also as seen elsewhere online:
The United States Navy Trophy Flag Collection, begun by
an Act of Congress in 1814 and given to the care of the
Naval Academy in 1849, now totals more than 600 historic
American and captured foreign flags.
http://archive.org/stream/illcaseins...shrich_djvu.tx
"The trophy flags of the United States Navy are the
priceless symbols, not so much of our captures, as of
our long honor roll of heroic victories on the high seas,
victories won by the consistently maintained skill and
efficiency, as well as by the tradiuonal daring and
devotion to duty, of our officers and men. Flags of Great
Britain, of France, Spain, Mexico, and Korea ; United States
ensigns side by side with the ensigns of the Confederate
States, their age, their faded colors, and the security of their
repose as they hang in draped folds behind the glass of their
exhibition cases, are significant reminders that we are at peace
with those who in the past were enemies. The old bunting is
treasured for its story of brave deeds and noble sacrifice, the
heritage of both the victors and the vanquished. The bitterness
of the conflicts over which the flags were flown is lost in the
peaceful silence of their resting place.
CASE NUMBER 22

CATALOGUE NUMBER 16
STANDARD OF KOREAN GENERALISSIMO

"Captured under fire from the main redoubt, " Fort McKee," of
the Korean forts at Kang Hoa, on the Salee or Han River, north of
Chemulpo and west of Seoul, by Private Hugh Purvi^, Private
Brown, and Captain McLane Tilton, of the detachment of marines
under Captain Tilton, in the landing force under Commander
Lewis Ashfield Kimberly, from the squadron under Rear-Admiral
John Rodgers, June 11, 1871.

Rear-Admiral Rodgers squadron escorted the American min
ister to China, Mr. Frederick Ferdinand Low, on a diplomatic
mission to Korea. During the negotiations the squadron lay at
Boisee anchorage. On June 1, by permission of the Korean
authorities at Seoul, the U. S. S. Monocacy, Commander Edward
Price McCrea, was sent up the river to make surveys. Without
warning, two launches engaged in charting were fired on by the
forts at Kang Hoa. Two seamen were wounded. The Monocacy
silenced the forts and returned to Boisee. Rear-Admiral Rod
gers, after consulting with Minister Low, informed the Koreans
that they would be given ten days in which to make an explanation.
They refused to recognize the demand. On June 10 the landing
force of 536 seamen and 105 marines, with 7 howitzers, destroyed
the lower forts and encamped for further operations. On the llth,
covered by the U. S. S. Polos, Lieutenant Charles H. Rockwell, the
landing force stormed the main redoubt, charging up a steep hill
and scaling the walls. Lieutenant Hugh Wilson McKee, the first
to enter the fort, was mortally wounded. His assailant was shot
down by Lieutenant Commander Winfield Scott Schley. The
Koreans expected no quarter and gave none, the fort being cap
tured only when the last defender was killed. In dismantling the
five forts, the landing force captured or destroyed 481 pieces of
ordnance and 150 flags, many of which are in this collection. The
operations were directed by Commander Homer C. Blake, U. S. S.
Alaska. In February, 1871, Mr. Low negotiated a treaty with
Korea by which the United States acquired certain commercial
rights and the Korean government agreed to safeguard the lives
and property of shipwrecked American sailors."
  Reply With Quote

RKF in retreat ...
Old 12-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #40
oldflagswanted
Lifetime Member
 
oldflagswanted's Avatar
 
oldflagswanted is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 10,752
Default RKF in retreat ...

Surrendered Wehrmacht Reichskriegsflaggen (RKF's).
OFW
(below) Russian, UK-Indian, and US captured.
For more RKF background history see online...
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichskriegsflagge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rkf-waf-ofw6.jpg (98.5 KB, 1347 views)

Last edited by oldflagswanted; 12-29-2012 at 05:26 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #41
TP Alexander
Association Member
 
TP Alexander's Avatar
 
TP Alexander is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Volunteer State
Posts: 5,773
War

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldflagswanted View Post
Korean War US GI captured DPRK flags.
OFW
(below)
1. North Korean unit flag.
2. North Korean National flag.

In my opinion, some of the rarest items to be brought home to the US are items from the Korean War! In over 40 years of collecting, I have seen 3 items captured and returned to the US that were North Korean or Red Chinese!!!
Two of these items were pieces of paper-propaganda missives.
Tim
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #42
chen
Association Member
 
chen's Avatar
 
chen is offline
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: asia
Posts: 3,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldflagswanted View Post
Hello chen:
Thanks for that information. Have in my collection
an interesting Annapolis 1913 rare book entitled:
"INSCRIPTIONS FOR TROPHY FLAGS IN CEILING
ACADEMIC BUILDING" at the US NAVAL ACADEMY
,
where the subject flag (WAF post #37) is listed as
Case Number 22, Catalog Number 16, "Standard of
Korean Generalissimo - The characters Eifl mean
"Generalissimo" or "commander-in-chief," and are
similar in form to the Chinese characters having the
same use."

OFW
(below) also as seen elsewhere online:
The United States Navy Trophy Flag Collection, begun by
an Act of Congress in 1814 and given to the care of the
Naval Academy in 1849, now totals more than 600 historic
American and captured foreign flags.
http://archive.org/stream/illcaseins...shrich_djvu.tx
"The trophy flags of the United States Navy are the
priceless symbols, not so much of our captures, as of
our long honor roll of heroic victories on the high seas,
victories won by the consistently maintained skill and
efficiency, as well as by the tradiuonal daring and
devotion to duty, of our officers and men. Flags of Great
Britain, of France, Spain, Mexico, and Korea ; United States
ensigns side by side with the ensigns of the Confederate
States, their age, their faded colors, and the security of their
repose as they hang in draped folds behind the glass of their
exhibition cases, are significant reminders that we are at peace
with those who in the past were enemies. The old bunting is
treasured for its story of brave deeds and noble sacrifice, the
heritage of both the victors and the vanquished. The bitterness
of the conflicts over which the flags were flown is lost in the
peaceful silence of their resting place.
CASE NUMBER 22

CATALOGUE NUMBER 16
STANDARD OF KOREAN GENERALISSIMO

"Captured under fire from the main redoubt, " Fort McKee," of
the Korean forts at Kang Hoa, on the Salee or Han River, north of
Chemulpo and west of Seoul, by Private Hugh Purvi^, Private
Brown, and Captain McLane Tilton, of the detachment of marines
under Captain Tilton, in the landing force under Commander
Lewis Ashfield Kimberly, from the squadron under Rear-Admiral
John Rodgers, June 11, 1871.

Rear-Admiral Rodgers squadron escorted the American min
ister to China, Mr. Frederick Ferdinand Low, on a diplomatic
mission to Korea. During the negotiations the squadron lay at
Boisee anchorage. On June 1, by permission of the Korean
authorities at Seoul, the U. S. S. Monocacy, Commander Edward
Price McCrea, was sent up the river to make surveys. Without
warning, two launches engaged in charting were fired on by the
forts at Kang Hoa. Two seamen were wounded. The Monocacy
silenced the forts and returned to Boisee. Rear-Admiral Rod
gers, after consulting with Minister Low, informed the Koreans
that they would be given ten days in which to make an explanation.
They refused to recognize the demand. On June 10 the landing
force of 536 seamen and 105 marines, with 7 howitzers, destroyed
the lower forts and encamped for further operations. On the llth,
covered by the U. S. S. Polos, Lieutenant Charles H. Rockwell, the
landing force stormed the main redoubt, charging up a steep hill
and scaling the walls. Lieutenant Hugh Wilson McKee, the first
to enter the fort, was mortally wounded. His assailant was shot
down by Lieutenant Commander Winfield Scott Schley. The
Koreans expected no quarter and gave none, the fort being cap
tured only when the last defender was killed. In dismantling the
five forts, the landing force captured or destroyed 481 pieces of
ordnance and 150 flags, many of which are in this collection. The
operations were directed by Commander Homer C. Blake, U. S. S.
Alaska. In February, 1871, Mr. Low negotiated a treaty with
Korea by which the United States acquired certain commercial
rights and the Korean government agreed to safeguard the lives
and property of shipwrecked American sailors."

A quick lesson in Chinese Chess:
1.pawn
2.cannon
3.car=rook
4.horse=knight
5.elephant=minister
6.bishop ( note it can only travel within the small grid of the fortress)
7.field marshal( note it can only travel within the small grid of the fortress)


The center piece is the field marshal ( 1 and 2). Note the writing style vs. the one painted on the aircraft rudder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020271.JPG (136.4 KB, 949 views)
File Type: jpg P1020273.JPG (119.4 KB, 947 views)
  Reply With Quote

Captured Chinese Pieces ???
Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #43
oldflagswanted
Lifetime Member
 
oldflagswanted's Avatar
 
oldflagswanted is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 10,752
Default Captured Chinese Pieces ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chen View Post
A quick lesson in Chinese Chess:
1.pawn
2.cannon
3.car=rook
4.horse=knight
5.elephant=minister
6.bishop ( note it can only travel within the small grid of the fortress)
7.field marshal( note it can only travel within the small grid of the fortress)
The center piece is the field marshal ( 1 and 2). Note the writing style vs.
the one painted on the aircraft rudder.
Hello chen:
Thanks for the interesting Chinese Chess lesson.
My post #39 was not debating your post #38 , just
reporting what was USN cataloged about the flag.

OFW
(below) rare photo of Japanese captured Chinese unit flags.

(below) Chinese troops with captured Japanese flag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jap-cap-by-china-big.jpg (56.9 KB, 951 views)

Last edited by oldflagswanted; 12-30-2012 at 12:48 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #44
chen
Association Member
 
chen's Avatar
 
chen is offline
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: asia
Posts: 3,248
Default

Oldflag,
Pl. do not misunderstand my Chinese Chess post. I just thought that it may be interested for other readers to know more about that Kangi character. I never saw any picture showing such big Kangi character painted on aircraft rudder.
I find out your flag pictures always interesting!
  Reply With Quote

"aircraft rudder" ???
Old 12-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #45
oldflagswanted
Lifetime Member
 
oldflagswanted's Avatar
 
oldflagswanted is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 10,752
Default "aircraft rudder" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chen View Post
Oldflag,
Pl. do not misunderstand my Chinese Chess post. I just
thought that it may be interested for other readers to
know more about that Kangi character. I never saw any
picture showing such big Kangi character painted on
aircraft rudder. I find out your flag pictures always
interesting!
chen:
No problem, other than the "aircraft rudder" part?
Post #37/39 flag was a sailing ship large sail size.
But it was not a sail in the photo, but rather a fort flag
on display aboard an 1871 U.S. Navy masted warship.

OFW
(below) Korean Fort Flag in question, shown again.
PS/ As I write this I'm watching "Duck Soup" on free
over the air MeTV - having lots of cool movie flags.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023969/
(below 2) "Duck Soup" movie flags, Freedonia & Sylvania.
http://flagspot.net/flags/fic_dsou.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg korea1871-flag-small.jpg (37.9 KB, 948 views)
File Type: jpg duck-soup.jpg (36.3 KB, 941 views)

Last edited by oldflagswanted; 12-30-2012 at 02:07 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com