wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Wehrmacht Equipment Forum

Wehrmacht Equipment Forum Equipment and gear of the Wehrmacht era.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:33 AM   #16
GJR100

Patrick,

Nice Tragesattel

The webbing straps on the side ... are these Deckengurten or Schwunggurten? Could you post some additional pictures?
You seem to be missing the Bauchgurt or is it just not in the picture ...

Do you know what year the BW pictures were taken? The Tragesattel they use is most probably a war time version ....

Mat,

I also have two kinds of mid frames for the Tragesattel for carrying different loads on top. Unfortunately these are still packed ..... If you need some pics, I will have to dig a bit ....

Hope you liked this small addition ...

MfG,
Bart

Old 02-11-2007, 06:34 AM   #17
zeugmeister
Suspended

Here is a set of horseshoes, i found about 280 horseshoes in an old smithy last year!
They are all stamped (amj 43 = Waggonfabrik L.Steinfurth, Königsberg/ Ostpreussen and hau 44= Metallwarenfabrik AG, Ludwigsburg/ Würtemberg).

Regards

Dirk

Old 02-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #18
Jan B
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR100 View Post
and last another photo that was shown before ...

There were about 24 different chests of these according to a manual, but I only have seen 4.

Nice pieces Bart

But about those Gebirgs-Sanitätskasten in below attached picture; there were in fact only 4 types of these and not 24.

The 24 chests or kastenhälfe (Vorratkasten, Einheitskasten and Gefechtskasten) you're refering to are the ones which were part of the Gebirgstruppensanitätsausrüstung Satz i, the Sanitätsaurüstung Satz k and of the Sanitätsausrüstung Ergänzungssatz k. These were not similar as the ones in your picture.

Cheers

Jan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0327.JPG (59.2 KB, 862 views)

Old 02-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #19
GJR100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Beazaer View Post
The 24 chests or kastenhälfe (Vorratkasten, Einheitskasten and Gefechtskasten) you're refering to are the ones which were part of the Gebirgstruppensanitätsausrüstung Satz i, the Sanitätsaurüstung Satz k and of the Sanitätsausrüstung Ergänzungssatz k.
Hi Jan,

I know this line, but what I do not know is what these Kasten look like. They should be transportable by mule I guess ...
Do you know what I should be looking for?

MfG,
Bart

Old 02-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #20
Jan B
Lifetime Member

Well Bart

I got this information from a period edition of 'Das Sanitätsgerät Des Feldheeres' which covers most, if not all official medical fieldgear and equipement. Are you familiar with this book? There are only some general pictures in it. Not detailed enough I'm afraid, at least not about this issue.

If you don't own this book, I'll see what I can scan and post it here.

Greetings

Jan

Ps: concerning my PM, I think I'll still have some room left somewere. I'll keep you updated about it

Old 02-13-2007, 10:24 PM   #21
BergführerKiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Beazaer View Post
Wonderfull Patrick!
Some small questions from my side as well :
the medical GJ sani-kasten in the 5th picture, have these been professionally restored? They really look in mint condition!
Thanks Jan! The Geb.San.Kasten in question are actually "mockups" painted by me that I use for reenactments and living history displays. The boxes are some Swedish Army surplus field kitchen boxes. I added rings on the back to be able to mount them onto a packsaddle. Here are a couple more photos of them:

Quote:
Concerning the panniers, I note little differences in construction (handles, attachement-rings,etc...). Could you tell us if they were post-war produced as well (or by other countries, Switzerland for example)?
As Bart mentioned and showed with his panniers, the wartime and early post-war panniers had rope handles. The side panniers in this photo show the later Bundeswehr type with metal handles. The basket on top is a wartime Swiss Army Lantern pannier. The packsaddle and harnessing is post-war Austrian Bundesheer.

The canvas panniers in this photo are wartime Swiss, but I have seen photos of Germans using the same type.

Quote:
Lastly, were these panniers already painted at factory level? Or was this done in the field? Thanks in advance for your answers.
Cheers Jan
As far as I know, and perhaps Bart has a more definative answer, the panniers seem to be factory painted or left in the natural color of the reeds.
Here are more photos of some of my other packsaddle items:

This is another type of packsaddle used by the GJ's...usually seen with the Geb.K 15. Also pictured is a pair of wartime Geb.San.Kasten, a canvas Wassertragesack mit Schutzhülle (front right), a canvas feed bag/bucket, a mule gas mask and a Hufbeschlagmeister tool kit.

And here is a third type of packsaddle that used during the war. (Bart, do you have any info on this type?):

Here is another wartime pannier, but with wicker handles. My understanding is that this type was used for carrying small arms ammo.

This is a Gefechtskasten that was used by a PK-Kameramann to carry his film and cameras:

This heavy beast is the große Kochkiste which was used to carry and cook food...unfortunately I only have the outer thermal carrier and not the rest of the set:

Here is the ammo box for the Gebirgsgeschütz 36:

And finally, my sets of Gebirgs-Sanitäts-Kasten. I have four at the moment (Set #1-2, Box #1, and Box #3) and another Box #2 on the way. I would like to find a Box #4 to have a complete set for a packsaddle, if anyone knows of one for sale.

Muli vor!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 07:23 AM   #22
Jan B
Lifetime Member

Thanks a lot Patrick for your more then detailed reply, I learned some new things

You really have some very neat items in your collection!

Concerning the Kochkiste, I think there's currently one on Ebay germany as well, but I think it isn't complete either.

I send you a pm as well.

Cheers

Jan

Old 02-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #23
François B.

I was looking at this thread, very intresting!
Then I thought, I have also an ammo box but for the Gebirgs Kanone 15, with the same hooks.
Here is a pic..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FFB 022a.jpg (190.3 KB, 821 views)

Old 02-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #24
François B.

Pic. of the other side with the hooks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FFB 025a.jpg (223.4 KB, 816 views)

Old 02-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #25
BergführerKiser

Grüß Gott Francois,

Great looking Geb.K15 ammo box! Since both the Geb.K15 and Geb.G36 were 75mm mountain howitzers, there ammo was somewhat similar.

Gebirgsartillerie vor!

Old 02-14-2007, 01:35 PM   #26
Mat Holloway

Wow!
there are some seriously good collections of pack mule gear out there!
I have yet to make a purchase although i think i will take the panniers im offered now.
cheers
mat

Old 02-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #27
BergführerKiser

Servus Mat,

Please post some photos of the panniers when you get them.

Muli vor!

Old 02-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #28
zeugmeister
Suspended

Grüß Gott Bergführer !
I send you a PM !

Dirk

Old 02-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #29
jan r

Hallo,

I have no specific pack mule equipment yet, but a complete set for a riding horse and some items for draft horses.
Here is shown by Ludie the Zaumzeug 22 with Doppelringtrense for draft horses and pack mules.
[IMG][/IMG]

Close up of makers code, date and waffenambt
[IMG][/IMG]

Jan

Old 02-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #30
BergführerKiser

Grüß Gott Jan R,

Great looking horse and halter!!!

Muli vor!