wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > U.S. Militaria Forum

U.S. Militaria Forum Militaria of the United States of America.

504th pathfinder question
Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
usparas517

Default 504th pathfinder question

I am looking for help on a jump jacket I have,This jacket has the name Laverne Fox and the service # 9101 last four.I am hoping to verify that this guy is a pathfinder as I was told when I bought it.The thing about this jump jacket is, it was cut off just below the belt and a section was cut out of the back "from the bottom"it dose not look very good and if the guy was not a pathfinder I will be asking for my money back.So any help would be greatly appreciated..can someone please find this guy on a roster for the 504th or maybe another unit.....Thanks in advance Dennis

Old 11-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
Ben

Laverne Q Fox was in B-Co 1/504. ASN 37119101
Don't think he was a PF though.

thank you very much
Old 11-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
usparas517

Default thank you very much

Thank you! thank you! Is there is someone out there that can tell me whether this trooper was a pathfinder or not, I really need to know.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
MikeP
Association Member

Tempest in a teapot.
Doubt if you ever will know.
In the 60's "pathfinder" was a school. It qualified one for the job, but they were not necessarily assigned to it.
If you found his discharge papers it might indicate the school, but often these are not inclusive.
Buy the artifact, never the story.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
usparas517

You are very wise grasshopper.........Thanks for your reply

Old 05-20-2019, 11:53 PM   #6
John4022

Sorry for bringing this thread up from the grave. This thread actually means a lot to me. I was bored so I decided to search Laverne Fox and my jaw dropped when I found this thread. I'll explain why this thread means a lot to me.

So in 2001 my grandfather went to an estate sale and he always asked the host if they have any military items because he knows my father collects them. The woman said she has a few items from her husband which passed away. She showed him two uniforms. My grandfather called my dad to come over and take a look because he doesn't know what hes looking at.

So my dad arrives the next day and he is shown a jump jacket (exactly described by the OP) and a 504th Ike jacket w/ a pathfinder patch. She also had a spare 504th oval w/ a jump wing but she didnt want to sell it. My dad remembers a picture on her nightstand of Laverne & his platoon with bayonets in their mouths and the guys on the corners were holding watercooled 1919s. Also, she pointed out statues in her backyard that Laverne sent home from Europe.

As mentioned, this all occurred back in 2001. I was four years old at the time and my dad remembers taking photos of me in Laverne's jump jacket. Unfortunately these photos are saved on floppy discs and we cant recover them. My father kept the items for a couple months but he decided to sell the jackets to have money for my sister and I who were at the ages of 4 & 6.

Every memorial day we go to Laverne's grave and clean it up and put a flag above his grave. Unfortunately, his wife died last year. Its taken 12 years to answer OP's question, but yes, Laverne was a pathfinder. If anyone knows the location of Lavernes items I would love to buy them for my father. It would blow his mind if he was reunited with an item from Laverne. It is a small world after all.

504th PF
Old 05-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #7
Z19

Default 504th PF

That is a cool story...hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
John4022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z19 View Post
That is a cool story...hope you find what you are looking for.
Thanks!