wehrmacht awards

Old 05-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #16
Lloyds
Association Member

[QUOTE=kammo man;8454560]Then you are both blind

says a man who probably has never restored or owned a WW2 vehicle its not like owning or restoring a helmet

Old 05-20-2019, 12:13 PM   #17
zks.750

This one, i don't think i'm going restore it in running condition. But i will preserve the original color.

How many bikes are in original color ? Very few.

Other barn find with this engine:

original Metzler tyre

Old 05-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #18
zks.750

Handlebar

Noris fuse box

Old 05-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #19
me6_130
Association Member

[QUOTE=Lloyds;8454612]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kammo man View Post
Then you are both blind

says a man who probably has never restored or owned a WW2 vehicle its not like owning or restoring a helmet

I guess it depends on what your target is, on what you want to get: a museum piece or an operational vehicle.
If the intention of the OP (as he has just mentioned) is to go for a museum preserved item, then the existing paint should lightly be cleaned and rust removed and sealed, trying to make a consistent presentation of the item.
Another thing is to get it back to work. Doing so and preserving all original paint is quite difficult but possilble. Now, knowing it is a "put together" vehicle, it might not look consistent in either option.

Carles

Old 05-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #20
OSS
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammo man View Post
Then you are both blind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure you are convinced that your view on this subject is righteous and irreproachable but you needn't be arrogant. My eyesight is good enough to see that in it's present state it is a rusty relic yet in good enough shape to be faithfully restored to exactly how it appeared and ran in 1943. Here is a helmet to display with your bike (kammo man):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cud3tE.jpg (46.6 KB, 458 views)

Old 05-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #21
kammo man

OSS
Completely different item that bears no relation to the bike
Your knee jack reaction posting the helmet if forgivable.
Once the paint is sealed the rust stopped it he bike will look great
If the original paint is covered up then itís gone forever and a new shined amateur hour bike will emerge and not a beautiful restoration with character
The seat alone with the paint is perfect as is.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #22
BB75
Association Member

Well, if you do change your mind and make the Zundapp a runner, make sure you put fresh tires on it. Ha ha.

FWIW, I have a 1973 BMW R75/5 that once was "patinated" and now is partly repainted (fenders) with gas tank in original(!) patinated Granada Red. I like paint both ways. Only original paint once, but in my experience the person on the street seems more impressed with a shiny paint job -- on a slightly more modern motorcycle (mine) than your gem. To your own heart be true.

============

... original Metzler tyre...

Old 05-20-2019, 09:46 PM   #23
kammo man

Hereís a bike that sealed the paint but had engine rebuilt new.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:46 PM   #24
kammo man

Here is the paint

Old 05-20-2019, 09:48 PM   #25
kammo man

Makes for a cool rebuild

Itís your project so you can paint it pink with yellow polka dots if you like

Old 05-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #26
kammo man

Last one

Re paint or not?
Old 05-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #27
Bigsieuk

Default Re paint or not?

IMHO it is a matter of personal choice for the person who is going to fund the restoration (and you'd better have a lot of money and a lot of patience).

Having said that if I compare stripped and repainted German wartime bikes to the as found paint condition, I'd stick with that original paint and seal it (its only original once).

I have never had the choice to retain the original paint on mine and I wish I had. You can replace and rebuild all internal parts with new and still have that original look. You will see lots of restored German bikes on the internet with new paint but far fewer with original paint.

Regards,

Bigsie

Old 05-21-2019, 11:29 AM   #28
me6_130
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsieuk View Post
IMHO it is a matter of personal choice for the person who is going to fund the restoration (and you'd better have a lot of money and a lot of patience).

Having said that if I compare stripped and repainted German wartime bikes to the as found paint condition, I'd stick with that original paint and seal it (its only original once).

[...]

Regards,

Bigsie
That's the difference between Conservation, a
Museum quality restoration and a Private restoration.

Carles

Old 05-22-2019, 06:31 AM   #29
Svenpanzer

I don't get the whole like new restorations of vehicles. Its the only section in our hobby where nice original stuff gets destroyed to make it look like new and fetch insane prices for it.
I would pay double the money for a nice bike or vehicle with old original paint and rust than for one thats completely like new. I once saw a collector destroy a perfect original seat for a kettenkrad, to build it up with new materials otherwise it wouldn't match his fresh kettenkrad, insane!!

I also restore old antique dutch bicycles and ride them. I leave all the original paint, transfers and rust, seal it, then service all bearings and other mechanical parts so they are like new. If i would repaint the whole bike and made the seats out of new leather i would get 5 euro's for a bike, or nothing at all. now you have a perfectly original bike that drives like it should.

I would love to see the end result, if all parts are more or less matching you'll have a killer bike!

Old 05-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #30
zks.750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenpanzer View Post
I don't get the whole like new restorations of vehicles. Its the only section in our hobby where nice original stuff gets destroyed to make it look like new and fetch insane prices for it.
I would pay double the money for a nice bike or vehicle with old original paint and rust than for one thats completely like new. I once saw a collector destroy a perfect original seat for a kettenkrad, to build it up with new materials otherwise it wouldn't match his fresh kettenkrad, insane!!

I also restore old antique dutch bicycles and ride them. I leave all the original paint, transfers and rust, seal it, then service all bearings and other mechanical parts so they are like new. If i would repaint the whole bike and made the seats out of new leather i would get 5 euro's for a bike, or nothing at all. now you have a perfectly original bike that drives like it should.

I would love to see the end result, if all parts are more or less matching you'll have a killer bike!
That's my opinion too...

I aslo have the bw40 frame in original color.