wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Japanese Militaria Forum

Japanese Militaria Forum All Japanese Militaria

Japanese sword with vendor's stamp in English.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
Andy A
Association Member

Default Japanese sword with vendor's stamp in English.

Japanese sword with vendor's stamp in English.

A friend showed this sword to me yesterday. His father brought it back from service in the islands. It's a nice Navy sword. What surprised me was that the maker's / vendor's seal / stamp was partially in English. I don't think I have seen this before. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0123.jpg (77.1 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0122.jpg (84.4 KB, 137 views)

Old 11-03-2019, 10:20 PM   #2
BruceP
Association Member

Andy,
These are known. Fuller & Gregory's book notes them. It is not known why they are in both English and Japanese, though.

I have seen 3 styles and they all say "The Seki Cutlery Manufacturer’s Society, Seki Gifuken Japan"

There is a discussion of them on this thread and NMB: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic...ya#entry216702

Old 11-04-2019, 01:23 AM   #3
Death-Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
Andy,
These are known. Fuller & Gregory's book notes them. It is not known why they are in both English and Japanese, though.

I have seen 3 styles and they all say "The Seki Cutlery Manufacturer’s Society, Seki Gifuken Japan"

There is a discussion of them on this thread and NMB: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic...ya#entry216702
Bruce, you're always a library of knowledge! I always loved these stickers. Usually they are ripped or stained, but quite a few are ine excellent condition. They are a neat focus of military swords and provide knowledge of Seki smiths and routes of sales or organizations. There are also the "Warrior" stamps on nakago on Showa-to that are known.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:42 AM   #4
Andy A
Association Member

Thank you both for your help. Always appreciated.

Andy

Old 11-04-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
BobI
Forum Sponsor

Death-Ace, what is a "warrior stamp"? I have not heard of this before and am curious. On this tag, I know I have had swords with this on them and it is possible I still do. It seems like I have only seen it on lacquered wood based saya, has anyone ever seen it on a metal officer sword scabbard?
Bob

Old 11-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Death-Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobI View Post
Death-Ace, what is a "warrior stamp"? I have not heard of this before and am curious. On this tag, I know I have had swords with this on them and it is possible I still do. It seems like I have only seen it on lacquered wood based saya, has anyone ever seen it on a metal officer sword scabbard?
Bob
Hey Bob!

I hope its ok for me to post this pic here, but this is the "Warrior" Stamp. Seems another company, least agency or shop, would stamp blades with this. This is apparently from a Yoshichika, but the Seki smith. Think its been found on both showato and gendaito alike, but mostly lower hrade showato. The symbol is supposed to be a war/Trojan horse, but heard a few refer to it as Pac-Man, haha!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-2148-14196798534194.jpg (120.3 KB, 72 views)

Old 11-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #7
BobI
Forum Sponsor

WOW, Strange, I have never seen that! It is so odd and out of place on Niponto! But, I guess if it is known it is what it is.
Thank You !
Bob