wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Correct Interior Color for a Sd.Kfz. 250/251 - WHITE ? ?
Old 04-22-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
harrison987
Association Member

Default Correct Interior Color for a Sd.Kfz. 250/251 - WHITE ? ?

Sooooo...

I had a conversation with a few noted authors, who have confirmed that the drier's compartment on the Sd.Kfz. 250/251 was in-fact WHITE...

Period black and white photos also seem to suggest that, as as well as the photo below.

However...most parts I have seen (relics, or uninstalled parts), clearly show Dunkelgelb.

I am curious if this "white" was painted after the fact (pre-painted dunkelgelb, then oversprayed white in the field...or if this was only an early-war practice?

Thoughts?

TIA

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21742816_1122496487886774_6708969053688423725_n.jpg (77.2 KB, 225 views)

Old 04-23-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
Funksammler

Of all the interior pictures I have reviewed, not a single Sd.Kfz 250/251 seems to have a white interior, they appear either grey or tan. The only exception I found was the interior of the closed Sd.Kfz 253, and than only the upper half of the interior, the dashboard and everything below were panzer grey.

Not surprising, as a white interior would make it rather easy to spot from the air....

The white interior is not the only weird thing about the restoration in the photograph, the rear chair actually comes from a Kfz 72 radio truck.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 04-23-2018, 08:19 AM   #3
harrison987
Association Member

Hey Remco!

Bad restoration...

However...

I spoke with someone else on this...

100% no 250 had this white interior...HOWEVER...the EARLY 251 A/B were painted white in this area, as the drivers compartment was considered separate to the rear...and followed armoured guidelines, which was to have the enclosed driver's area painted white. This was for easier visibility.

This was not always adhered to...and after losing air superiority and going to the 251D...this process stopped. All were painted dunkelgelb...

So it is basically an early guideline that was stopped.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
Satcong101

As far as I am aware the main difference is between whether the vehicle has a fully enclosed interior or not. For example Panzer's or StuG's are fully enclosed AFV with little natural light if any permeating the interior space so the ivory white painted interior helped crews members see inside when buttoned down, conversely this not a problem in a open topped vehicle.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
me6_130
Association Member

I agree, they would mostly be painted in ivory, in those surfaces not showing outside. Doors and hatches that would open outwards would be painted in the same colour as the external of the vehicle. That would be the general rule, but there are exceptions always.

Carles