wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #121
RTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyds View Post
i am suprised that anyone thought the panther would be restored just the cost of a external restoration
There are many "good" restoration targets, depending on time/money/(volunteer)team you have.

To preserve details you have (remove dirt/rust, make antirust works) is fast and cheap.
This is also restoration, this work saves original details for the future. No torsions and other expensive details are required, only people with proper mind and accurate hands.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:42 PM   #122
Lloyds
Association Member

To preserve details you have (remove dirt/rust, make antirust works) is fast and cheap.
This is also restoration, this work saves original details for the future. No torsions and other expensive details are required, only people with proper mind and accurate hands.[/QUOTE]

to do what you say Why remove the tank from the town just sandblast and paint

Old 12-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #123
RTY

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyds View Post
This is also restoration, this work saves original details for the future. No torsions and other expensive details are required, only people with proper mind and accurate hands.
to do what you say Why remove the tank from the town just sandblast and paint
No. The tank should be removed under the roof and disassembled, because no way to protect the mechanics and interior parts without disassembling. The problem of this Panther is that it was not disassembled but broken (turret from hull) as I can understand from the video posted above.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:00 PM   #124
msk500

Houffalize do not deserve this rare Panther ! As mere custodians of this vehicle they have sadly neglected it over the years to the extent that it is almost past redemption . They apparently want it as a monument we are told ! They don't have the cash to fund a restoration to running condition we are informed ! After watching the video of the "De-construction" perhaps "Destruction" would be more applicable ! The way in which the engine has been surgically removed with cutting gear not to mention the other valuable parts leaves this "restoration" with plenty of questions that need honest answers !Cant help feeling sceptical but it looks like the engine and its mechanical innards were the prime factor in this resto ! A shell of a monument, and its soul and history ripped apart ! Hope I am wrong !

Old 12-24-2017, 06:08 AM   #125
Lloyds
Association Member

in some ways why not remove the engine and any other drive components as this tank will not be restored, just a clean up and repaint and will be put back on display as it was with lots of external parts missing.and use the engine to get some other panther moving again as the parts add nothing to the static display and can,t be seen anyway and if they did sell the parts maybe they could use some of the money to buy the missing road wheels and track and help it to look like the tank it was in 1944.As there is very little or no prospect of it ever being restored to run

Old 12-25-2017, 06:15 AM   #126
msk500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Z. View Post
Criminal? Worry more about what your government is doing.

I visited this Panther, and I hate to see what is being done to it. But, I suspect less that .01% of the population of Belgium, or any country for that matter, would give this matter a second of thought. We have to get real.
Hi WILLI Z, Must agree with you on all points ❗ But as a non-political I don't consider myself as a fool who votes those fools into office, who once in power consider us all as fools ❗

Old 04-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #127
Gran Sasso

Another "then" foto:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kopie von Scannen0009.jpg (56.5 KB, 803 views)

Old 04-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #128
Simon H

Good photo Gran Sasso, not seen that one before.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #129
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator

Here is a photo from when I was there in 1989.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180705_211540322.jpg (134.6 KB, 466 views)

Preußens Gloria!

"To be is to do."
- Immanuel Kant

Old 08-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #130
dflament

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanC View Post
They do a great job over there. The vehicles coming out there are real Jewels.

There are some nice German tanks in the collection like a Panzer IV, StuG III,... They still are to be restored.

I've visited once the former Kapellen Depot in the North of Antwerp. Amazing stuff! All moved to Bastogne in 2010 (from Kapellen, Vissenaken, Brussels,..)

I have faith in it they will do a great job again with this nice beast.

Don't know if it will be put in place again.

Will you keep informed
well tbh, the Stug III is finished and in running condition, long time ago already. Only problem is that the paintjob is completely wrong and they know it. The Stug III was part of the HG-division and not painted dark grey. They have all the data and the pictures, they know what it looked like and still somebody decided that it should look dark grey... some buckets of paint don't cost a fortune but i suspect it was more a political choice then a historical one

So i cannot really say they are doing a good job at Bastogne Barracks & Kapellen as i've heard stories (a good friend of mine is a voluntary worker over there) about "why the Panzer IV hasn't been restored yet" and they are just plain ridiculous.

About this Houffalize Panther; It will be a cosmetical restoration only and will return to the people of Houffalize and, imho, that's where it belongs. Plenty of other places to see (driveable) Panthers. Bovington, Munster, Saumur, Grandmenil, Breda, Overloon, Kubinka, ... Even Australia has one now

On the other hand, they have a cooperation now with the Bovington Tank Museum (much like Munster & Overloon) where the driveable IS3 (from Bastogne Barracks) was shown at tankfest. I've heard rumours that after the Tiger Exposition something is coming to Belgium on loan, but rulours are just that: rumours