wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975.

Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975. Covering, French Indo China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

Recording History
Old 08-19-2017, 07:26 AM   #16
JOHN JONES
Association Member

Default Recording History

Hi. Ralph, you are Welcome. Recording history like this can often give me more
pleasure than the obtaining of momento's. It is a double edged sword for the good,
as Scott explains when contacting former members of these early ADS units.

"John and I along with Finland Dave, Willard Honjiyo, Col. Royals, Bob Broaddus, Frank Ferry from the 339th, and others to follow have been working together with John to make a good, through presentation for not only the military history website he posts to, but that we can present to the Army Transportation Museum at Ft. Eustis, and probably the Army Aviation Museum at Ft. Rucker.

When Wendy and I were at the Transportation Museum last year after the reunion, I was dismayed that none of the early recovery work by any of the Companies in Viet Nam was documented and displayed. And that’s not right. So once this is a finished product John and I will put together as many copies as we need and I may well go back to Ft. Eustis and Ft. Rucker to make the presentation face to face."

Unit insignia
Old 08-19-2017, 08:30 AM   #17
JOHN JONES
Association Member

Default Unit insignia

Scott presents a very early HM pocket patch for the recovery section, possibly unique, as no further examples have been located, amongst this units former members. Any senior collectors who may have an example, would be encouraged
to contribute to this thread. As Scott remembers:

"The patch came to life I would think in either late 1964 after the Company moved down to Tan Son Nhut from Bien Hoa where we initially landed flying in from Ft. Lewis in Washington in October of that year or very early 1965. And the patch went away around the middle of 1966 when all three of our CH-37’s were flown down to Vung Tau and put on a ship for transport back to CONUS. As to where they came from, I haven’t a clue Again, I am sure that someone higher up in the Recovery Section chatted with the Old Man, he approved them and they had them made downtown Saigon.
I did not bring any uniforms home, as I recall we were having a tough time getting new sets of fatigues and I gave all of mine to my guys in the engine shop. Somehow I came home with that original never used Recovery Section Vultures patch, not sure how that happened! Just had an extra one I guess and held on to it."

The design was also used as nose art on the 56th's UH-1 aircraft, the CH37's
using the standard company patch design. Note that the last 3 digits of the CH37
aircraft numbers, that appear in the cloth patch, are not repeated in the nose-art.
Veterans are checking their personal photo albums, to see if this was the case for
the life of the design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56th Trans Co DS Unit and Recovery patches.jpg (94.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DAVE ROBIN.JPG (97.2 KB, 28 views)

Recovery Section Huey
Old 08-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #18
JOHN JONES
Association Member

Default Recovery Section Huey

David Robin, who kindly provided the superb nose-art picture in my last post, kindly
offered some other pictures in the sequence. David acted as crew chief during his tour which lasted between - APRIL 1965 - APRIL 1966 During this period the unit amassed an impressive tally of recoveries.
358 COMBAT HOURS - 460 COMBAT MISSIONS 37 RECOVERIES
and a vast array of aircraft were saved to fight another day.
1 x C-45 7 x UH-1B 14 x UH-1D
2 x UH-1B 8 x OH-13S 1 x UH-1BX
2 x A-1H 1 x TO-1D 1 x O-1E

These rare shots of a kit lay out for cleaning and inspection, these followed no recognised
TOE, these early ADS units were writing the manual for Aircraft recovery in Vietnam.
As can be seen, a vast amount of items, to include bolt cutters, shackles of all sizes,
shovels, wire ropes, webbing straps etc, became standard kit. On arrival at a landing or crash site, they could be meet with a ship that had glided in or had been shot down, either to land on its skids, flipped over, or crumpled up.
The terrian could have been elephant grass, jungle, rice paddy, river bank, so every
recovery presented a different challange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Recovery crew.jpg (161.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg RECOVERYa.jpg (110.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by JOHN JONES; 08-20-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Recovery Section Huey
Old 08-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #19
JOHN JONES
Association Member

Default Recovery Section Huey

"Your (John) comments with Dave about developing the recovery gear as we went along is absolutely how it happened. One of our guys, Andy Thessan took a set of hydraulic jack up UH-1 ground handling wheels, removed the hydraulics and built a blade retention pin remover for the UH-1’s. Sometimes the blades were so buggered up from a bad crash landing that we had to pull them before we could do the lift. Those pins were about 2 ½” in diameter and tough to get out without some sort of puller. Andy’s puller worked pretty well in doing that job."

"What we would do for most UH-1 recoveries is that we would arrive first in our UH-1B aircraft with tools and stuff. Pull the battery, dump the fuel, pull any weapons and ammo, radio gear, basically get the aircraft as light as we could for the lift. And critically take a look at the main transmission mount area to make sure that it would be strong enough to support the weight of the aircraft. Our most used sling attached to the top of the rotor mast, to the “Jesus Nut” (If your rotor head retention nut ever fails, your only help will come from Jesus…) We had a short sling that had a shackle on one end to attach to the lifting eye in the Jesus Nut, and a large loop in the other end that slipped onto the cargo hook of the ’37" Scott Drew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Recoveryb.jpg (171.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg RecoveryF.jpg (143.5 KB, 16 views)