wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #16
Wim D
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_hufschmied View Post
This is the Panther that will get the D glacis:

Hello,

No, this is a Panther A hull, the D hull is almost ready, look at the website or the first book of the Research Squad.

Regards,
Wim.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:21 AM   #17
Asbjoern

Depending on different source the restored Panther is an early Ausf A build by DEMAG, using the old style glacis without the ball mount for the MG. Although both unrestored Panthers clearly look as Ausf. A Wheatcrofts site speaks of a Ausf D and a second Ausf. A still to be restored... .
Maybe they change the hull on the picture into a D type hull as the original A glasis is more less missing ....and then the remark of Richard becomes its sense: "This is the Panther that will get the D glacis" ... . Possibly this tank then will be restored using the drivetrain of the Breda Panther which was aquired by Wheatcroft in exchange for the external restauration (plus internal conservation) of the Breda tank....

Jens

Old 06-20-2008, 05:24 AM   #18
r_hufschmied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjoern View Post
Depending on different source the restored Panther is an early Ausf A build by DEMAG, using the old style glacis without the ball mount for the MG. Although both unrestored Panthers clearly look as Ausf. A Wheatcrofts site speaks of a Ausf D and a second Ausf. A still to be restored... .
Maybe they change the hull on the picture into a D type hull as the original A glasis is more less missing ....and then the remark of Richard becomes its sense: "This is the Panther that will get the D glacis" ... . Possibly this tank then will be restored using the drivetrain of the Breda Panther which was aquired by Wheatcroft in exchange for the external restauration (plus internal conservation) of the Breda tank....

Jens
Spot on!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #19
the shadock

By the way, it's been a while since there was no update on Kevin website (February 2008). I can't wait to see new pictures of his collection !!

P-O

Old 05-31-2017, 07:09 AM   #20
ENGLISH BOB
Association Member

So where is this elusive Wheatcroft Panther?,any news on it and when it will be completed?,lets see some pictures please

Old 05-31-2017, 08:03 AM   #21
praubal
Expelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGLISH BOB View Post
So where is this elusive Wheatcroft Panther?,any news on it and when it will be completed?,lets see some pictures please

I saw it a few months ago....its incredible.....also as amazing is Kevins Anschluss G4...rrstoration almost complete.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:55 AM   #22
ENGLISH BOB
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by praubal View Post
I saw it a few months ago....its incredible.....also as amazing is Kevins Anschluss G4...rrstoration almost complete.
Sounds good,any pictures?,or not allowed

Old 05-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #23
praubal
Expelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGLISH BOB View Post
Sounds good,any pictures?,or not allowed

Hello Bob
I did take some however as you know Kevin quite rightly is a very private collector but I can def say it looks SPECTACULAR!

The G4 is simply INCREDIBLE..in the fullness of time im sure he will show the end results.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:49 PM   #24
ENGLISH BOB
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by praubal View Post
Hello Bob
I did take some however as you know Kevin quite rightly is a very private collector but I can def say it looks SPECTACULAR!

The G4 is simply INCREDIBLE..in the fullness of time im sure he will show the end results.
LOL! ,better hope he shows it/them before WW3 starts otherwise there's going to be some real tears!!

many thanks for the update

Best

Bob

Old 05-31-2017, 05:13 PM   #25
Lloyds
Association Member

there was talk a few years back about building a tiger 2 but i doubt it will happen now and it looks like the panther project has come to a halt i dont think it has had anything done on it in the past 2 years or so its a shame as kevin has so many restorable tanks hanging about his place

Old 05-31-2017, 05:18 PM   #26
praubal
Expelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyds View Post
there was talk a few years back about building a tiger 2 but i doubt it will happen now and it looks like the panther project has come to a halt i dont think it has had anything done on it in the past 2 years or so its a shame as kevin has so many restorable tanks hanging about his place

You are right....so much. But I understand the Panther is on his top three priority list. Panther / G4 / Grosser 770.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:41 PM   #27
harrison987
Association Member

Hey guys,

The Panther is basically completed...around 16 weeks away from being announced.

Main hull is DONE, including all zimmerit and FULL interior (though all the rounds are repro).

Engine is 100% running and good to go (he also has 2 others).

Turret is also 95% done.

He is doing 3 Tigers. 1 King, and 2 Standard. Those are build built for him in Germany.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:18 AM   #28
Lloyds
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison987 View Post
Hey guys,

The Panther is basically completed...around 16 weeks away from being announced.

Main hull is DONE, including all zimmerit and FULL interior (though all the rounds are repro).

Engine is 100% running and good to go (he also has 2 others).

Turret is also 95% done.

He is doing 3 Tigers. 1 King, and 2 Standard. Those are build built for him in Germany.

where do you get the 16 weeks from .The panther and engine is as you discribe but they have been like that for 2 years the 3 tigers are owned and built by a guy called Hobig one finished and in a German museum on loan no2 nearly finished and no3 about halfway and king tiger ?

Old 06-01-2017, 07:27 AM   #29
Asbjoern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyds View Post
Hobig one finished and in a German museum on loan ?
According to several source Hoebig is not longer able to own something...he passed away last year, so his collection (....consisting of the Trun scrapyard remains and other stuff) might have changed ownership.

Also the Tiger was removed from the Munster museum some months ago - meanwhile replaced by a GFC mock up Tiger - with rumors running around that the owner now starts to integrate the missing drivetrain components + intrieur now to make it a runner ...

Jens

Old 06-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #30
harrison987
Association Member

Alexander and Christian Hoebig are fine...did not hear of anyone passing. (?)

The Munster Tiger was sold - not because they were not allowed to own anything (for example, they are currently building 3 Panthers) - but because it did not have the standard German demilitarization (holes cut into each side of the armor), and they were getting concerned with the laws changing.

They were originally told they could place an engine in it and have it running in current condition...but...then to government changed their mind/rules.

Plan was to then at the minimum add an original transmission, and complete the interior...leaving it engine-less.

Then...the deal for the transmission fell through.

With German laws appearing to change every year, they were getting concerned with having to torch holes into the hull...or the government wanting further deactivation of the gun (they had special permission to have the Tiger in it;s current state)...the opted to sell it outside of Germany. This way, no further destruction would happen.

So as it sits, Munster Tiger has been sold.

I was in the UK, and can confirm that Panther is being worked on full-time. Was told by by the team working on it, that by October/November it will be completed.

Not sure of Hoebig is doing all 3 Tigers - but I do know that Wheatcroft does in-fact have enough parts for 2 tigers...and they are being build in Germany. He also has a 80% King Tiger (parts)...how far that is along, I do not know.