wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Italian & European Axis Allies Forum

Italian & European Axis Allies Forum Dedicated to the Uniforms and Equipment of Italy and the other WWII German Allies.

General of Army ID help
Old 05-10-2019, 06:09 AM   #1
Parrothead
Association Member

Default General of Army ID help

I was wondering if it is possible to ID who this uniform belonged to based on the awards. The awards are (I think):

Military Order of Savoy (Cavalier);
3 [three] Military Valor Crosses (Al Valore Militaire);
Order of Saint Maurice and Lazurus;
Order of the Crown Commander;
Military Long Service Cross in Silver;
1911-1914 Italian-Turkish War Campaign Medal;
Royal Army Command Longevity Medal with star;
1848-1918 Italian Unity Medal;
War Merit Cross with 2 gold metal crown devices for subsequent awards;
WWI Italian-Austrian War Medal with four gold bullion wire hand embroidered battle stars;
Medal for the Unification of Italy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Italian General 01.JPG (41.6 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg Italian General 02.JPG (52.1 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Italian General 03.JPG (49.7 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Italian General 04.JPG (45.2 KB, 159 views)

Old 05-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
Ironcrown
Association Member

In my opinion the 3 blue ribbons indicate 3 Bronze Valor Medals.
The valor cross received the blue ribbon only from May 1943 onward. Before then, the war merit cross ribbon wad used, with a gladius device applied on it.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=911775

http://www.napv.it/missione-kirov/

Old 05-21-2019, 06:46 AM   #3
Passo Stanco
Association Member

is an apparently easy question to answer, given the ribbon of the Military Order of Savoy.
unfortunately I didn't find any correspondence between the grade and the composition of the ribbons.
when I succeed I will look at the yearbooks of the early 30s. The method of separating the rows of ribbons is in fact early.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
Passo Stanco
Association Member

the jacket looks original, I just have to point out to you that the shoulder boards are from General of Army Corps designated, that is to say it is in charge of the superior command of army. the rank from sleeve instead are from general of army.
to be consistent they should have the stick below the sleeve degree.
I don't see any particular problems in the whole though.
the shoulder boards should be seen better as the stars I saw often mounted above the crown and not below but I must say that the effect Is no so bad.

I checked on the yearbook of the early 30s and the general whose medal is closest is "ZOPPI dei conti nobile Ottavio" but there are small differences that cannot make the attribution certain.

Last edited by Passo Stanco; 05-21-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
Parrothead
Association Member

Pass

Better photos attached. Let me know if there are specific areas you need to see.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (167.7 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpeg image2.jpeg (141.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpeg image3.jpeg (174.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpeg image4.jpeg (126.0 KB, 101 views)

Old 05-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #6
Semovente
Association Member

Location: Fort Capuzzo near to the barb wire border Mid Wales G.B.

Very nice tunic Parrothead to such a high rank officer...
I see also that the original owner was wounded twice !..maybe that might help with identifyin your tunics ownership ?...Semovente

Old 05-25-2019, 05:31 AM   #7
ARDITO

Strange tunic, but the shoulder straps are not for the general gray-green jacket model 33, they are the shoulder straps designed for the white uniform.
The rank present on the hand guard does not correspond to that in the shoulder straps.
Another bad thing is the red profiling in the handguards, the generals didn't have it. A beautiful collage

Old 05-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #8
enorepap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDITO View Post
Strange tunic, but the shoulder straps are not for the general gray-green jacket model 33, they are the shoulder straps designed for the white uniform.
The rank present on the hand guard does not correspond to that in the shoulder straps.
Another bad thing is the red profiling in the handguards, the generals didn't have it. A beautiful collage
I agree

http://www.milistorystore.com/wp-con...nedetti_b3.jpg

Best regards

Old 05-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #9
PAOLORUBENS
Association Member

Quote:
weird collage ... another strange thing is : sidecap's eagle is silver , should be gold

Old 05-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #10
Passo Stanco
Association Member

the problem with this jacket is not just the shoulder pads. very often in the legacies of officers there are jackets, shoulder pads, medals of different ages or of different jackets that are reassembled by families incorrectly. Therefore I do not find it strange that the shoulder pads are mistakenly mounted on this jacket which also shows incoerent degrees on the sleeve.
Another obvious problem is the medal ribbons which is not very realistic for a general of this rank, with very low knights especially in the presence of the Military Order of Savoy.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:27 AM   #11
ARDITO

The main problem, I would say that it is not a general jacket, has red profiles on the hand guards,
so it is an infantry officer jacket, reassembled with buttons, shoulder straps,
and general rank, then if it was made by the family, or by a collector, we don't know.
However, the tunic, even if badly mounted, has some fantastic insignia, they are really beautiful,
high quality embroideries, and the rank of both, shoulder pads and cuff ranks is high, rare enough to find

Last edited by ARDITO; 05-26-2019 at 01:36 AM.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #12
Semovente
Association Member

Quote:
The main problem, I would say that it is not a general jacket, has red profiles on the hand guards,
so it is an infantry officer jacket, reassembled with buttons, shoulder straps,
and general rank, then if it was made by the family, or by a collector, we don't know.
However, the tunic, even if badly mounted, has some fantastic insignia, they are really beautiful,
high quality embroideries, and the rank of both, shoulder pads and cuff ranks is high, rare enough to find
Sure the insignia is top notch that is fairly clear !...but in a effort to fool the collector someone has gone to s lot of effort to collect rare & hard to find insignia , then assemble it on a ordinary infantry officers tunic !..so it has to a one off ???..is'nt it !?...if it's made to deceive !?...but with such s high rank item.. the new owner would of course want to research its potential original owners history !..and if its found out to be fake as it seems this one ' might ' be then the trail to the dealer then faker can only be a short one !?
I cannot see many of these very high ranked tunics appearing on the militaria market & successfully foolin the serious collector who would be payin a top dollar askin price for such a tunic with out checkin its pedigree first !!..

Old 05-29-2019, 07:00 AM   #13
Parrothead
Association Member

Just as a FYI this set is offered for sale on blackcrossmilitaria website for $1700. I saw it and thought it interesting enough to post to get comments and to see if it could be identified. When some of these questions about the set arouse I contacted the dealer to discuss and they stopped replying when I expressed my doubts to the sets originality. I do not know if they are aware of it being bad or not, but at least it is posted for other collectors to see.

Mark

Old 05-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #14
Semovente
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
Just as a FYI this set is offered for sale on blackcrossmilitaria website for $1700. I saw it and thought it interesting enough to post to get comments and to see if it could be identified. When some of these questions about the set arouse I contacted the dealer to discuss and they stopped replying when I expressed my doubts to the sets originality. I do not know if they are aware of it being bad or not, but at least it is posted for other collectors to see.

Mark
Well Mark as i said if your goin to spend that amount money on such a item.. your goin to ask questions before partin with your hard earned pennys !
Any drealer worth while buyin from should at least be able to give some garentee etc ..not ignore you !!..says it all ...

Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #15
Parrothead
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semovente View Post
Any drealer worth while buyin from should at least be able to give some garentee etc ..not ignore you !!..says it all ...
AGREED! And thank you everyone for your help with this set!