wehrmacht awards


Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > U.S. Militaria Forum

U.S. Militaria Forum Militaria of the United States of America.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 12-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #16
Brig
Member
 
Brig's Avatar
 
Brig is offline
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Quantico
Posts: 2,847
Default

EGAs were occasionally added on the battle field, but more often on the ship while returning home in anticipation of a parade. As the ones painted on ship usually had unit crests, and yours is camo, I would imagine if original it would have been added in theater...not many drills accessible in the trenches, so the holes were punched (usually true on the ship painted ones, as well).

I have never seen one of these with original EGA that didn't have some wear behind the bird, and natural fading/dirt/dust generally leaves the faint ghost of the emblem visible when it's removed.

I am not a huge helmet guy, but the camo paintjob, with paint bled onto the emblem, makes me think there's a good chance someone married these up to raise the value
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #17
C. Roelens
Association Member
 
C. Roelens's Avatar
 
C. Roelens is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California
Posts: 4,836
Default

The hole for EGA placement was punched-in mostly with a square shaped spike nail, and would look similar to this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7479.jpg (113.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7480.jpg (120.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7481.jpg (185.6 KB, 94 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2018, 06:42 AM   #18
Marc Shaffer
Member
 
Marc Shaffer's Avatar
 
Marc Shaffer is offline
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hoser Heaven
Posts: 1,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brig View Post
I have never seen one of these with original EGA that didn't have some wear behind the bird, and natural fading/dirt/dust generally leaves the faint ghost of the emblem visible when it's removed.


Ditto.... there is a reaction between different metals that causes corrosion. Dissimilar metal corrosion. Even with paint on the metals, it would cause some sort of ghost on the paint or metal between the two different metals. After 100 years, I would expect at least a little on the helmet and I see none.


I don't see any paint transfer from the camo on the EGA. I see chips out of the finish though.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #19
crown.point
Member
 
crown.point is offline
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The First State
Posts: 303
Default

This helmet is a fake, made by ebay seller cart32tfs, who punches holes in nice original helmets and adds EGAs. I have photos of it before it had the EGA added, but can't post. If someone who can is willing to, I can email the before pics.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #20
Brig
Member
 
Brig's Avatar
 
Brig is offline
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Quantico
Posts: 2,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Shaffer View Post
Ditto.... there is a reaction between different metals that causes corrosion. Dissimilar metal corrosion. Even with paint on the metals, it would cause some sort of ghost on the paint or metal between the two different metals. After 100 years, I would expect at least a little on the helmet and I see none.


I don't see any paint transfer from the camo on the EGA. I see chips out of the finish though.
Maybe it's my computer, but top of the head seems to match the brown paint, and maybe some spots on top of wings
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #21
bodes
Member
 
bodes's Avatar
 
bodes is offline
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brig View Post
Maybe it's my computer, but top of the head seems to match the brown paint, and maybe some spots on top of wings
That's what my monitor shows as well....Bodes
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #22
zimmerit
Association Member
 
zimmerit is offline
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brig View Post
I would want to see a ghost behind the EGA to prove a century of wear...also whether the hole is punched or drilled
Bingo. This is exactly what I was getting at as well. Dont know what the bayonet comment was about...

Last edited by zimmerit; 12-06-2018 at 10:07 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2018, 01:16 AM   #23
C. Roelens
Association Member
 
C. Roelens's Avatar
 
C. Roelens is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California
Posts: 4,836
Default

That's an original blackened bronze EGA that looks like this one... It is not paint.

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7753.jpg (237.5 KB, 47 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2018, 01:23 AM   #24
C. Roelens
Association Member
 
C. Roelens's Avatar
 
C. Roelens is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California
Posts: 4,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown.point View Post
This helmet is a fake, made by ebay seller cart32tfs, who punches holes in nice original helmets and adds EGAs. I have photos of it before it had the EGA added, but can't post. If someone who can is willing to, I can email the before pics.
+1.

The helmet is original. The EGA is original. This Retired Fly-Boy marries them up and peddles them on eBay as original WWI USMC.

Chuck
  Reply With Quote

Doughboy helmet
Old 12-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #25
Dan-K
Association Member
 
Dan-K is offline
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 544
Default Doughboy helmet

Great ! Boned again !
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com