wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > U.S. Militaria Forum

U.S. Militaria Forum Militaria of the United States of America.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #16
Brig

EGAs were occasionally added on the battle field, but more often on the ship while returning home in anticipation of a parade. As the ones painted on ship usually had unit crests, and yours is camo, I would imagine if original it would have been added in theater...not many drills accessible in the trenches, so the holes were punched (usually true on the ship painted ones, as well).

I have never seen one of these with original EGA that didn't have some wear behind the bird, and natural fading/dirt/dust generally leaves the faint ghost of the emblem visible when it's removed.

I am not a huge helmet guy, but the camo paintjob, with paint bled onto the emblem, makes me think there's a good chance someone married these up to raise the value

Old 12-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #17
C. Roelens
Association Member

The hole for EGA placement was punched-in mostly with a square shaped spike nail, and would look similar to this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7479.jpg (113.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7480.jpg (120.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7481.jpg (185.6 KB, 94 views)

Old 12-06-2018, 06:42 AM   #18
Marc Shaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brig View Post
I have never seen one of these with original EGA that didn't have some wear behind the bird, and natural fading/dirt/dust generally leaves the faint ghost of the emblem visible when it's removed.

Ditto.... there is a reaction between different metals that causes corrosion. Dissimilar metal corrosion. Even with paint on the metals, it would cause some sort of ghost on the paint or metal between the two different metals. After 100 years, I would expect at least a little on the helmet and I see none.

I don't see any paint transfer from the camo on the EGA. I see chips out of the finish though.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #19
crown.point

This helmet is a fake, made by ebay seller cart32tfs, who punches holes in nice original helmets and adds EGAs. I have photos of it before it had the EGA added, but can't post. If someone who can is willing to, I can email the before pics.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #20
Brig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Shaffer View Post
Ditto.... there is a reaction between different metals that causes corrosion. Dissimilar metal corrosion. Even with paint on the metals, it would cause some sort of ghost on the paint or metal between the two different metals. After 100 years, I would expect at least a little on the helmet and I see none.

I don't see any paint transfer from the camo on the EGA. I see chips out of the finish though.
Maybe it's my computer, but top of the head seems to match the brown paint, and maybe some spots on top of wings

Old 12-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #21
bodes

Quote:
Maybe it's my computer, but top of the head seems to match the brown paint, and maybe some spots on top of wings
That's what my monitor shows as well....Bodes

Old 12-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #22
zimmerit
Association Member

Quote:
I would want to see a ghost behind the EGA to prove a century of wear...also whether the hole is punched or drilled
Bingo. This is exactly what I was getting at as well. Dont know what the bayonet comment was about...

Last edited by zimmerit; 12-06-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:16 AM   #23
C. Roelens
Association Member

That's an original blackened bronze EGA that looks like this one... It is not paint.

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7753.jpg (237.5 KB, 47 views)

Old 12-07-2018, 01:23 AM   #24
C. Roelens
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown.point View Post
This helmet is a fake, made by ebay seller cart32tfs, who punches holes in nice original helmets and adds EGAs. I have photos of it before it had the EGA added, but can't post. If someone who can is willing to, I can email the before pics.
+1.

The helmet is original. The EGA is original. This Retired Fly-Boy marries them up and peddles them on eBay as original WWI USMC.

Chuck

Doughboy helmet
Old 12-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #25
Dan-K
Association Member

Default Doughboy helmet

Great ! Boned again !