wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Book Review and Media

Book Review and Media All books, TV and movies belong here.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #76
Edward
Association Member

Other consequences that carried on for many more years after the last US ground troops left the RVN. Commands continued to deal with drug use, racial tension, base riots, desertions, you name it. A complete 180 degree turn by the early 70's from the US military of the pre VN years.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:12 AM   #77
Tim O'Keefe

Another point is that the casualties and video from the Viet Nam war was shown on the evening news everyday over and over. The war in the 'Stan you would never even know has been fought for the last 16 years from the complete lack of tv coverage. It's like nobody wants to know anything about it ?
When i grew up every kid on the block's older brother served in the 'Nam and we all expected to as well...not in todays world only a few serve, the country could care a less...

Old 10-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #78
bodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
Another point is that the casualties and video from the Viet Nam war was shown on the evening news everyday over and over. The war in the 'Stan you would never even know has been fought for the last 16 years from the complete lack of tv coverage. It's like nobody wants to know anything about it ?
When i grew up every kid on the block's older brother served in the 'Nam and we all expected to as well...not in todays world only a few serve, the country could care a less...
Could be just the lack of imminent danger being felt from those we are fighting in Afghanistan.....The Taliban does not possess weapons capable of directly striking the United States...Homeland terrorism ala Al Quaeda is a possibility, but no announcements from them boasting of placing nuclear weapons onto ICBM's (ala what North Korea is moving towards)......This might explain people's apathy and subsequent lack of preoccupation....There also isn't a draft, so that's something else not looming around in their psyches....Not concerned with loved ones being forced to fight in a war....Also not sure there's enough news in that part of the world to merit such nightly coverage....Vietnam was the first televised war....Not sure even those reporting it realized how devisive the nightly televising would become...After all, it was untested and inaugural in the history of this country.....Bodes

Last edited by bodes; 10-19-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM   #79
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

Fantastic series - I am half way and I think it is great - very informative and you keep asking yourself why it went on as long as it did. It does not paint a pretty picture of the various presidents involved.

Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #80
Totenhead

What puzzles me is that an 18 hour documentary is comprised of 10 fifty minute episodes ?? .......

Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM   #81
bodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
Fantastic series - I am half way and I think it is great - very informative and you keep asking yourself why it went on as long as it did. It does not paint a pretty picture of the various presidents involved.
Unfortunately there were numerous dynamics being played out.....The sense that victory was deemed (wrongly or rightly) close at hand....The idea this country was a world power dealing with those we perhaps thought of as inferior.....Concern over potentially losing face for not following through on a commitment...Vietnam became the United State's tar baby...The more we struggled and fought, the deeper we got stuck...Bodes