wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > U.S. Militaria Forum

U.S. Militaria Forum Militaria of the United States of America.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:23 AM   #46
Domn

Hello all!
A question. I have an opportunity to buy M1 (supposedly ww2) helmet where at first look everything looks ok but one detail. The color of shell seems ok, there is front seam visible. From the pictures I have the color seems to be dark green. Same goes for the liner also. It looks typical ww2 liner. The one important detail that bothers me is that the straps aren't sewn directly on the shell loops but are rather attached with clasps. The loops on shell are late war. What would you think of it? When were clasps introduced? I know many armies used m1 war and post war issued.

Thank you,
Domen

Old 08-04-2018, 12:27 AM   #47
Domn

Oh I can also tell that I come from Europe, former Yugoslavia. In Trieste were a lot of american troops at the time after the war also.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:09 PM   #48
MattS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domn View Post
Hello all!
A question. I have an opportunity to buy M1 (supposedly ww2) helmet where at first look everything looks ok but one detail. The color of shell seems ok, there is front seam visible. From the pictures I have the color seems to be dark green. Same goes for the liner also. It looks typical ww2 liner. The one important detail that bothers me is that the straps aren't sewn directly on the shell loops but are rather attached with clasps. The loops on shell are late war. What would you think of it? When were clasps introduced? I know many armies used m1 war and post war issued.

Thank you,
Domen
If it is a front seam shell, it was produced from 1941-1943. If it is painted dark green and the chin straps are held on by clasps, it was refurbished after WW2. The first style clasps were painted olive green and fitted to M1 helmets from 1951 to 1960. After 1960, the clasps were painted black through 1973 when a new angled clip was introduced. Many WW2 produced M1 helmet shells were overhauled and repainted numerous times and served in the US military through the early 1990s.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #49
historiknut
Association Member

Thanks for posting these. A much needed discussion.